One more thing I just learned to like about TDPRI

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
Most threads don't live too long. It's nice!

I have a new Tacoma ordered and I've started putzing around a forum dedicated to owners of that vehicle. I joined hoping to get some good advice about general maintenance, good accessories, or otherwise helpful tips.

But wow, almost every thread over there has thousands of pages, most of the posts are garbage BS that's totally unrelated to the topic. Plus, the posts come in so fast there is almost no point to engaging anyone for any useful discussion. By the time you post something, the thread has moved on five pages.

There are a few awesome legacy threads here on TDPRI, but the vast majority live out their short lives mostly on topic, and we all get to move on. I'm not too keen on insane mods to a vehicle so I will probably delete my account there and see if searching gives me any humble answers I need.

I'd rather spend time here discussing the sleezy mods I do to my guitars with all you fine folk.

Carry on, and I'm sure many of you will derail this thread just to prove a point :lol:

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
Enjoy your Tacoma. I have a 4runner which is the same platform I think.
True warrior..no issues..over 8yrs...just do reg oil, and misc maint.

I'm gonna love it! The 4Runner is what I really want, but they haven't put stick shifts in them for ages so I'm going for the Tacoma. Same platform, different factories, thus the different drive trains. Fluids, brakes, and tires is pretty much all that's needed, that's true!

rcole_sooner

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Got my 2nd one for my 50th TATS back in 2013. The previous was an 03 I had for 10 years. They are great trucks.

0-EDrR-iAppbvMMQSAQ4SZm930ZCzbRPIDlyG12TagQxLoVwshpunR8IqWmpyqtVb4MhWl4solFLFRa1Ls6SNue6SLax5xHKMdkKoQeMkdA_vAZMwU6SLdazkWQ7D1UOf8REG0DyIbqrQec11ucHbsI-Z6_MerMdu8euM3ilSzNApsbOvpp2jqDLYHtDPNZKhN-uY0BXAFPd5xI4lbDIenh2Tvj1ufQIQvqiRft_MYBCsIuJ7bWdkoz68JLt6umXT8go5A1qKFuN5paxQfIsoTdn5onONBKzFpY5qsVkjF68TTW1UfwqnrxaL8k1QPaDHRmr5GT0Sv4zv3K2Nx4FA7u64u3KKNUp8qA-3odD6nRBOt-pMPd7WVQpjD4UG8xyFb4dSOVtfNTrXopYorUiRk0TfViXkbqCa3uxMfZqYzfF2xBVLnlEgmONAZ3XmujEBfwFV7qsM8eTXoRuVLEcTC3m2wpVJitIFu1IdmxXVL9gUmRVhei3hT9G3ZC_EIhhvDobQe8QVv3pTckNJ0Z1OPrUzeTr6rCEBbQZpn1y17ZAyk9IRZfExDhI6HHugxuUde8YuY0BWsBp7jshkRmiku0SB0nJhEGklqJx71vT5AFKWowbDkiWwgnBnv87qsgrj80pMztiB5qpqfmSLV2NYBRTk4Ce11Lx2BvJiFCx2SUx9bceh33gzggCl_NU=w1228-h582-no

chulaivet1966

Friend of Leo's
I have a new Tacoma ordered

Excellent!

We bought the 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD brand new....V6.
It's was 24K after alarm put in, seat covers, floor mats....we got it all done in one clip and it's long paid off with only 93K on it.
It's generic white...no flash....I don't want be noticed or recognized. :)
We love ours.
I have kept up impeccable maintenance and they're about as bullet proof as one can get from my POV.
With proper maintenance they can go up to 300K miles.

I'm afraid to ask what the dealer price point for the new ones might be but by now they're far out of my purchasing power.
Enjoy the new TOYota.

Carry on....

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
Got my 2nd one for my 50th TATS back in 2013. The previous was an 03 I had for 10 years. They are great trucks.

0-EDrR-iAppbvMMQSAQ4SZm930ZCzbRPIDlyG12TagQxLoVwshpunR8IqWmpyqtVb4MhWl4solFLFRa1Ls6SNue6SLax5xHKMdkKoQeMkdA_vAZMwU6SLdazkWQ7D1UOf8REG0DyIbqrQec11ucHbsI-Z6_MerMdu8euM3ilSzNApsbOvpp2jqDLYHtDPNZKhN-uY0BXAFPd5xI4lbDIenh2Tvj1ufQIQvqiRft_MYBCsIuJ7bWdkoz68JLt6umXT8go5A1qKFuN5paxQfIsoTdn5onONBKzFpY5qsVkjF68TTW1UfwqnrxaL8k1QPaDHRmr5GT0Sv4zv3K2Nx4FA7u64u3KKNUp8qA-3odD6nRBOt-pMPd7WVQpjD4UG8xyFb4dSOVtfNTrXopYorUiRk0TfViXkbqCa3uxMfZqYzfF2xBVLnlEgmONAZ3XmujEBfwFV7qsM8eTXoRuVLEcTC3m2wpVJitIFu1IdmxXVL9gUmRVhei3hT9G3ZC_EIhhvDobQe8QVv3pTckNJ0Z1OPrUzeTr6rCEBbQZpn1y17ZAyk9IRZfExDhI6HHugxuUde8YuY0BWsBp7jshkRmiku0SB0nJhEGklqJx71vT5AFKWowbDkiWwgnBnv87qsgrj80pMztiB5qpqfmSLV2NYBRTk4Ce11Lx2BvJiFCx2SUx9bceh33gzggCl_NU=w1228-h582-no

You've put some work into that one! 2nd gens are awesome, I loved the pearl blue they used on them so much. Is it odd that I like that pinstripe you added the most?

I drove an old 90s pathfinder for years, when it was already 20+ years old, it was a great vehicle. I think these will be an upgrade ;) I'm itching to get back into a 4x4, Subaru AWD just ain't the same thing.

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Ace thread-killer at your service! I don't know if it's my bland style or my meaningless repartee, but i am able to quiet the excitement on a thread in a hurry.

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
Excellent!

It's was 24K after alarm put in, seat covers, floor mats....we got it all done in one clip and it's long paid off with only 93K on it.
We love ours.
I have kept up impeccable maintenance and they're about as bullet proof as one can get from my POV.

I'm afraid to ask what the dealer price point for the new ones might be but by now they're far out of my purchasing power.
Enjoy the new TOYota.

Carry on....

Toyota has gotten wise, they sell Tacomas with few features for lots of money. I ordered one without all the extra sensors and tech packages, simple cloth unheated seats, no sun roof, and it's pricey. But I'm single, bought a house last year, and have the money to splurge on my last gas vehicle. I sprung for the OEM tonneau cover and bed mat, basic accessories like that, and with my trade-in I'll owe what you paid for the whole thing back in 05 :eek:

But I got my stick shift!

rcole_sooner

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Excellent!

We love ours.

Enjoy the new TOYota.

Carry on....

I did a couple of years ago. I was thinking about getting a new one ... because I liked the new style headlights and the way the newer Tacomas looked. Instead I opted for a few upgrades and drive it a few more years.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Enjoy that Taco! It's at the top of a short list for us. Our F150 is too old to start converting, and the wife wants to get a camping/bugout vehicle. We watch LLOD and similar videos quite a bit. Whole world of information and products out there.

Agree this forum seems to avoid a lot of the overload.

Last edited:

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
My parents have never bought a non domestic brand vehicle
I have never bought a non domestic brand vehicle
My sons have never bought a non domestic brand vehicle

I'm not chest pounding, i'm simply making the statement.

Steerforth

Friend of Leo's
Nice truck! I’ve got a TRD Tundra, but if I didn’t have so much stuff to haul all the time I would have gone for a Tacoma.

But pulling trailers and hauling feed made me choose the bigger model.

We only drive it when we really need it. The rest of the time we use the car. It’s considerably more comfortable.

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
I have been on forums for several vehicles, for the same reason I joined TDPRI. To get/share info, and to enjoy the company of people with a shared interest. I never felt the urge to stick around on those forums. But here I still am...

Yeah I learned pretty quick over on that other forum. I've been stuck here for a little while too.

I had a 2002 Tacoma Double-Cab 2WD with locking rear end. It was a real truck and the best vehicle I'd owned until the current Subaru Forester.

I gotta have 4WD here in Denver, but yours is the experience I'm looking forward to! Oddly enough I'm moving on from a Subaru Impreza, it isn't the right vehicle for me. A buddy had the turbo Forester for a couple years, it was a sick car!

rcole_sooner

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter

Are Toyota Tacomas for the US Market Produced in the US?

The United States of America produces the Toyota Tacoma vehicles sold in its market. The vehicles are made at the San Antonio factory in Texas. Before 2010, Toyota Tacomas were also produced in Fremont, California.

https://motorandwheels.com/where-are-toyota-tacomas-made

TeleinTX

Tele-Meister
I still have my '98 Tacoma PreRunner. '98 was the 1st year of the PreRunner. Very reliable, but never got decent gas mileage. Even Tundras get better than my 6 cylinder PreRunner. It's the first 'new' vehicle I ever bought and paid off. Love it, warts and all......

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's

Check your VINs ;)

Tacomas are being moved to the plant in Mexico, but I believe some/many are still assembled in California. If I could, I'd request mine be from the stateside plant. At least I bought a Maytag dryer last year :lol: