One more 52 AV(PV) - AVRI thread

frankbluesy

NEW MEMBER!
I bought my first Tele on year ago, a 2004 AVRI Tele and I loved the way it sounds since the first day. Then the Tele addiction started and the first thing I wanted to do, as soon as I found out that between 2012 and 2017 has been manufactured a newer reissue model called PV, was to buy one of those.

I must say that the things that attracted me most were:
-the thin skin yellow pale finish (I never really liked the pumpkin plastic-like finish)
-the chunkier neck

Finally I got one! And... I'm loving the huge roundish neck (probably the best Fender neck I've ever tried), the color and weight (way lighter than the AVRI) but once plugged in I noticed a slight but substantial sound difference. I mean, both sound great and are in the same ballpark but the thing I quite missed on the new PV is that warm-woody-sustained sound that made me fall in love with the Tele model.
It's like the AV sounds more modern, the sensation is that it has more presence and definition so could stand better in the mix, but lacks some "soul".
So it feels better in my hands, when unplugged, due to the fabulous neck and the not-sticky finish but looses a point when connected to the amp. Hard to choose which one to keep!

I guess plenty of you own - or previously did - both guitars. What's your thought about it?

John C

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Fender supposedly changed the pickups between the models. They also did change the wiring as well - the 2012-2017 models came from the factory with modern wiring (bridge/both/neck on the switch and master tone on all positions) with a vintage wiring kit in the case while the prior models came with the vintage wiring (bridge with tone control/neck with tone control/neck with bass capacitor) installed and a modern wiring kit in the case.

Did you change your 2004 to the modern wiring?

I had a 2005 AVRI '52 Tele; I had them change the positions to modern (bridge/both/neck) with a master tone control BUT I did not have them swap in the "modern wiring" tone capacitor, I had them leave the "vintage wiring" tone capacitor and only remove the bass roll-off capacitor. I wonder if that could be part of what you're hearing? You could check them both to see what kind of capacitor is installed to see if that makes a difference. Pot values should be the same.

Caveat - I have not played one of the 2012-2017 AV models plugged in; I found the later "PV" neck to be larger than I liked when I tried them out in stores so I never plugged one in.

frankbluesy

NEW MEMBER!
Fender supposedly changed the pickups between the models. They also did change the wiring as well - the 2012-2017 models came from the factory with modern wiring (bridge/both/neck on the switch and master tone on all positions) with a vintage wiring kit in the case while the prior models came with the vintage wiring (bridge with tone control/neck with tone control/neck with bass capacitor) installed and a modern wiring kit in the case.

Did you change your 2004 to the modern wiring?

I had a 2005 AVRI '52 Tele; I had them change the positions to modern (bridge/both/neck) with a master tone control BUT I did not have them swap in the "modern wiring" tone capacitor, I had them leave the "vintage wiring" tone capacitor and only remove the bass roll-off capacitor. I wonder if that could be part of what you're hearing? You could check them both to see what kind of capacitor is installed to see if that makes a difference. Pot values should be the same.

Caveat - I have not played one of the 2012-2017 AV models plugged in; I found the later "PV" neck to be larger than I liked when I tried them out in stores so I never plugged one in.

I bought my first Tele on year ago, a 2004 AVRI Tele and I loved the way it sounds since the first day. Then the Tele addiction started and the first thing I wanted to do, as soon as I found out that between 2012 and 2017 has been manufactured a newer reissue model called PV, was to buy one of those.

I must say that the things that attracted me most were:
-the thin skin yellow pale finish (I never really liked the pumpkin plastic-like finish)
-the chunkier neck

Finally I got one! And... I'm loving the huge roundish neck (probably the best Fender neck I've ever tried), the color and weight (way lighter than the AVRI) but once plugged in I noticed a slight but substantial sound difference. I mean, both sound great and are in the same ballpark but the thing I quite missed on the new PV is that warm-woody-sustained sound that made me fall in love with the Tele model.
It's like the AV sounds more modern, the sensation is that it has more presence and definition so could stand better in the mix, but lacks some "soul".
So it feels better in my hands, when unplugged, due to the fabulous neck and the not-sticky finish but looses a point when connected to the amp. Hard to choose which one to keep!

I guess plenty of you own - or previously did - both guitars. What's your thought about it?
When I bought the 2004 AVRI second hand it came with the modern wiring and capacitor so there shouldn’t be anything under the hood that makes it sound “darker”. A pickup swap would be interesting… my guess is that the tone difference is provided by the wood and not the PUs

John C

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
When I bought the 2004 AVRI second hand it came with the modern wiring and capacitor so there shouldn’t be anything under the hood that makes it sound “darker”. A pickup swap would be interesting… my guess is that the tone difference is provided by the wood and not the PUs

You're probably right - just the tonal differences between the two guitars. I don't think there was all that much difference in the pickups - Fender always says "new improved more accurate pickups" whenever they update the Vintage reissue models.

I only thought about the capacitor since I was given the choice of retaining the original capacitor (that was on the tone pot for positions 1 and 2 in the vintage wiring; the "dark" capacitor for position 3 was removed) or having the capacitor in the envelope in the case installed.