One meal a day (OMAD)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, Dec 4, 2018.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

It works for me, the hardest part is making sure I get the calories right. It is sustainable, a lifestyle for me and not a fad.

Chunkocaster and brookdalebill like this.
  2. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I sometimes do that. Lately, I've been doing an 8 hour window, but for the same idea - to "empty everything out" once a day and not build up that sort of insulin surge chain eating thing.

I'm not that overweight, but I feel better on intermittent fasting. I've heard more than one person say (as they got older) that they found no need for three meals a day, and the nutrition research is all over the place. First it was "try to eat a whole bunch of small meals" and now it's "mice who eat intermittently live longer than mice who eat a constant steady diet, even if the overall calorie total is the same".

Who knows what someone will tell us in another 10 years.

BopT likes this.
  3. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Doesn't work for me, not even close. I get crazy hungry and eat way too much at dinner.

Now I eat a small breakfast so I'm not too hungry at lunch, and a small lunch so I'm not too hungry at dinner. I'm much healthier now.

If you make OMAD work for you, good for you.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It can work for me, too.
    Must have something to do with our "vintage".

Dennyf likes this.
  5. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I used to eat my lunch about 930 on break at work then dinner around 6 or so. That worked out pretty well. But I'm on a different schedule now which kind of stinks

6. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Can't do just one... Brunch at 10:30 and dinner at 6. No snacks.

ifallalot likes this.
  7. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I first lost a lot of weight with extremely low carbs, and I've since changed to 16:8 IF, meaning, I eat for 8 hours and don't eat for 16 hours. This way, I can be more forgiving with carbs and still stay as lean. And 16 hours is not that long at all, it just basically amounts to skipping breakfast and not eating after 7pm. I eat 2 meals a day and sometimes a small snack in between

Slowisfast, Doctorx33 and gwjensen like this.
  8. luckett

luckett Banned

Keto, anyone else?

One meal a day (OMAD)

Which sustainable, non-fad lifestyle are you going to have next month?

loco gringo and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  9. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

My wife's been doing IF since May and has lost 50 pounds so far. She tried OMAD after a few months but seemed to stall out so she went back to just a small eating window. 19:5 I think?

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I usually do two and both of them can be fairly large. I had a crash before breakfast yesterday that was unpleasant. I ate an early dinner (late afternoon) and didn't eat anything until almost 10:00 the next morning. But some days I'll eat three meals and eat smaller portions. I have some belly fat I'd like to lose, but I think focused exercise would do more then diet.

11. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

June, 2018, I started with the boiled egg diet, lost 20 pounds... that morphed into Keto (but, that caused some medical issues and I needed to put some carbs back into my diet) then, I started intermittent fasting when led me in OMAD.

4 years ago I weighed 160 lbs then had a stroke that took my balance away from me...a year later, I had some bad flu (I actually died 3 times in the hospital). The flu also made my congestive heart failure progress to its final stages and was told no more exercise. I kept eating like I did before the medical issues, and as of Feb 2017 I was up to 327lbs.

I first cut sodas out of my diet and lost 30 lbs... that took a year... I wanted faster results and have been experimenting.

OMAD works best for me, if something comes along that works better, I will try it.

D_W_PGH likes this.
  12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Usually eat twice a day. I used to just eat when I was hungry when I was single. Sometimes I didn't eat at all for a day. Then I got married and went on an eating schedule. When I ate when I was hungry my weight was perfect. Now that I eat on schedule, my weight is...not so perfect. When I was driving truck, I was away most of the time at meals, and ate when I was hungry, my weight was perfect then. Hmm, could there be some kind of correlation between eating and being fat?

13. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

difference between fasting, and caloric restriction.

slinger likes this.
  14. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I would suggest checking out the DASH diet. It's a sustainable, heart healthy diet that is specifically geared toward alleviating hypertension (DASH stands for Dietary Approach to Stopping Hypertension) through good, evidence-based nutritional practices. I lost 25 pounds in as many days, and keeping to the basic tenets of the diet have made it fairly easy to maintain that weight loss.

Someone on your keto thread cited a perfect correlation between reducing caloric intake and weight loss, which is mostly true (health issues notwithstanding), but is not really the full story as not all calories are created equal. We all know how bad sugary, processed foods are for us, and cutting those out is the main lifestyle change in the DASH diet. It's all about veggies, lean meats, fruits, nuts, limiting dairy, and PORTION SIZE.

micpoc likes this.
  15. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Respectfully.......why?

Why do you eat one meal per day?

I don’t think our physiology was built for that.

RLee77 likes this.
  16. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Eating will kill you.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Speaking as someone who has a problem with portion size, 16:8 and keto type diets work better for me to hold or lose weight because portion size never comes into it.

I've done vegetarian type diets for a couple of weeks before, but they don't do it for me - I feel awful and lacking, and several weeks in, it doesn't seem to go away. Keto, I feel better after getting through the first week.

Portion size and volume eaten would serve the whole world well if we could all do it easily. If it was life or death, I could.

ifallalot likes this.
  18. luckett

luckett Banned

19. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

IF you take your one meal early in the day, then it can work. If not, then most cardiologists would say it is dangerous.

20. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Care to cite a reputable source? My cardiologist, when I explained I was IFing and eating "Paleo" ten years ago just before it became a huge fad, said that based on my blood work improvements and overall health improvements, whatever I was doing, I should definitely keep on doing it. If you think that "most cardiologists" know some detailed science on meal timing, please do cite a source.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.