One Meal A Day - Intermittent Fasting

raysachs

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Different stuff works for different people. I’ve had a lot of success with very low carb diets over the years. Did it once about 15 years ago, but didn’t really need to and backslid pretty quickly. But I was having health issues and went full Keto about 2 1/2 years ago and quickly lost about 25-30 pounds, and then slowly lost another 15-20. Cleared up some other inflammation related issues too. Went from 215 down to 170, which is a much healthier and better feeling weight on my 5’11” frame. It’s about where I was when I played high school football and when I was a hard core cyclist in my 30’s and 40’s. After a while I started allowing myself a few more carbs and I’ve stayed within a pound or two of 170. I eat almost zero sweets - I think I’ve had ice cream 2-3 times in the past year, but I’ll have a sandwich for lunch a few times per week and it doesn’t seem to have caused any problems. A little bit of rice or potato’s or pasta with dinner every now and them. Very little fruit other than berries, which are surprisingly low in sugar - they sure taste sweet. The nice thing about low carb is it doesn’t leave me hungry - after the first couple weeks of getting used to it, it hasn’t required any discipline to stay with it. When I’ve had to fast for medical procedures, it’s a lot easier than it used to be. It works for me - various low fat things I’ve tried in the past were terrible for me. Carbs seem to be trouble for me, but are the solution for some. VERY different solutions work well for different people. Fasting, very low fat, whatever. I think your body will know when something works for you or doesn’t. Any of it is worth a try if you don’t like how you’re feeling.

BTW, none of my docs thought it was a good idea when I started - they’re all on board now. All of my numbers are better than they used to be and I definitely feel loads better than I did before I dropped a ton of carbs.

-Ray

Smokin OP

Tele-Afflicted
My wife & I have been doing IF 2 meals a day for a year. We both needed to loose some weight & get our numbers to a more normal level...blood pressure, A1C, etc. We eat very few sugars & eat in @ 6/7 hour period. We both lost the weight & our wellness numbers were great. This is a very livable lifestyle for us. We are at a point that when we visit family during holidays & vacations, we eat what we want to eat & then when we get back home, it's back into our routine.

This change has been huge for me. I've been overweight most of my adult life. I'm smaller now than when I graduated high school.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
I've watched a ton of YT videos recently on the One Meal A Day diet (OMAD), also known as Intermittent Fasting.

Seems like there are a bunch of benefits from going with this OMAD, including -

reduces blood sugar levels
lowers the risk of heart disease
fights inflammation in the body
promotes longevity
boosts cognitive performance
lowers the risk of metabolic diseases
improves blood pressure
lowers your cholesterol levels
prevents neurodegenerative disorders

Supposedly it takes a few weeks to get used to, recommendations that one ease into the diet slowly as you train your body to ignore the hunger signals and get used to the new routines.

But once on OMAD, the change is really beneficial, including more energy, clarity of thought, few Dementia like symptoms and more.

I'm at the age where I'm starting to worry about some "aging" effects, and wondering if OMAD would be a good change in my life.

Anyone here on such a meal plan? How's it working out? Do you use any supplements between meals? How long did it take to transition to OMAD? What benefits have you seen, and what challenges did you experience?

Appreciate any feedback... take care ya'll...

Mrs. Skyhook does OMAD but she also does it rigidly Keto(LCHF)-compliant. She's lost a ton of weight like this.
Personally I do Keto(LCHF)-compliant(apart from occasional cheat days) but I do three squares a day, so I don't drop at nearly the same speed
but I still managed to drop about 40 of your US pounds in a year. I can button my suit jacket again and my belt ran out of holes in the right direction. :)

vgallagher

Tele-Meister
Omad been doing that for as long as I can remember. Didn’t know it was a thing. I hate feeling full. I don’t think much about it until I’m on a sales trip or something with others and they need to do the breakfast, lunch and dinner thing. I always feel like crap.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
I'm sticking with KETO. For me it's
a lifestyle change with results. Carbs
are nasty and IMHO are the true culprit
behind inflammation and obesity.

You've probably heard this saying in the Keto circles: "Don't blame the butter for what the bread did!". :)

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
I tried a similar approach for about a month just to see if I could do it, and honestly I felt like my body could use a reset and to target some fatty areas.

I lost about ten pounds that month, and I could lose more if I was still doing it, but the goal wasn’t really weight loss in general, I wasn’t overweight to begin with.

But now I’m maintaining my weight and I have better eating habits. I don’t do a lot of unhealthy snacking. I eat til I’m satisfied, not til I’m stuffed. More fruits and veggies in the mix. I only splurge on desserts for special occasions, whereas I used to have them a lot. Now I find a couple pieces of really dark chocolate do the trick. Drink water with meals, soda on very rare occasions.

So, again, it was more like a body reset as a challenge to myself and to put my body where I wanted it to be, now I have some better habits and am able to maintain it.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
Dr Oz claims to be a doctor too.

I'd consult my own doctor and a registered nutritionist before I tried anything like this.

Skip the doctor for this one and go straight to the nutritionist.
GP:s have notoriously lacking education in nutrition when they go to med school and the modicum they get
was last updated in like the 80's. Some are of course aware of new findings but if they
start recommending "new fangled nonsense like Keto" they will lose their licenses.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Holic
I’ve been fasting intermittently for years. I have two meals of around 400-600 cals each a day within an 8 hour window. It’s perfectly maintainable depending on what you eat - let me show you how much you CAN eat on 400 cals of the right thing.

41488B2B-117F-4C8D-B77C-40DE118114B0.jpeg

It’s easy to do, healthy and sustainable, and yes you get the benefits the OP posted.
Follow the fast800 recipies for guidance. Or stay as you are. Choice is yours

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
I've watched a ton of YT videos recently on the One Meal A Day diet (OMAD), also known as Intermittent Fasting.

Seems like there are a bunch of benefits from going with this OMAD, including -

reduces blood sugar levels
lowers the risk of heart disease
fights inflammation in the body
promotes longevity
boosts cognitive performance
lowers the risk of metabolic diseases
improves blood pressure
lowers your cholesterol levels
prevents neurodegenerative disorders

Supposedly it takes a few weeks to get used to, recommendations that one ease into the diet slowly as you train your body to ignore the hunger signals and get used to the new routines.

But once on OMAD, the change is really beneficial, including more energy, clarity of thought, few Dementia like symptoms and more.

I'm at the age where I'm starting to worry about some "aging" effects, and wondering if OMAD would be a good change in my life.

Anyone here on such a meal plan? How's it working out? Do you use any supplements between meals? How long did it take to transition to OMAD? What benefits have you seen, and what challenges did you experience?

Appreciate any feedback... take care ya'll...

Hmmm. I've been eating once/day for years. I don't understand the big deal. It's now a diet plan? Lol

Ricky D.

Doctor of Teleocity
Your body tells you what you need to know if you listen. It takes half an hour for your stomach to tell your brain you’ve had enough to eat, so eat slowly.

A small breakfast like a bowl of cereal. Just enough that you aren’t crazy hungry at lunchtime.

A half sandwich for lunch. Or a CLIF bar. Just enough so you aren’t crazy hungry at dinner.

a light dinner.

Avoid high density calories like high fat entrees and sweet desserts.

You can cheat this diet once or twice a month, but always cheat with intention and never on impulse. I use a calendar - beef stroganoff third Sunday of the month. Then you get right back on your program.

You won’t sustain a diet that keeps you hungry. I found that I could live comfortably this way.

I consistently lost 2-3 lb per week this way and lost 80 pounds, 260 to 180. Cholesterol and blood pressure dropped in line and I was able to stop meds for these. And it was easy.

Nick Fanis

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
1.Anyone here on such a meal plan?2. How's it working out? 3.Do you use any supplements between meals? 4.How long did it take to transition to OMAD?5. What benefits have you seen, and what challenges did you experience?

1. Yours trully :)

2. For the last 15 years amazingly well, lost 20 kilos when I was 40 (that I gained after having an accident that made me stop working out while I continued eating like when I was working out) and I still weigh the same and have the same wasteline

3. No , BUT I only eat REAL food : butter ,olive oil,fresh meat/Fish ,complex carbohydrates ,lots of leggumes & vegetables and a bit of fruit (not to much). I also try to avoid refined carbohydrates like the plague they are and limit sugar & of course alcohol as much as possible (but I do eat sweets and drink occassionaly but not ALL the time) most importantly I never EVER touch SEED OILS like sunflower/corn/cotton etc oils (so this means I don't eat anything out of a box or tin),these will kill you and impact your growth hormone since they are loaded with Omega 6s, eat BUTTER and OLIVE OIL my friend ;)

4.One day...Greeks don't eat breakfast ,which is the worst meal of the day anyhow since it prevents fat burning while you are active,and skipping the "lunch" ,Greeks eat lunch a around 15.00 , & having my dinner early ,starting any time between 18.30 and 20.30 (Greeks have dinner after 21.00) was easy peasy.

Anyhow you DON'T GET HUNGRY due to fasting after a time since low insuilin levels stop the CRAVINGS altogether after a week or two ,depending on how obese/diabetic you are (btw all this "pre-diabetic" stuff is BS you are either diabetic or not and unfortunatelly MOST people don't realize that they ARE diabetic) so OMAD is SUPER easy and after a while it becomes ,for you, what it REALLY is : the ONLY way human beeings are supossed and designed to eat.

Of course it is not a DIET it is something you should ALWAYS do ,with a few breaks if needed while on vacation etc...but again you will find out that even on vacation you will simply allow more "bad" foods in your daily eats and NOT eat more often.

I am proud to say that I have saved the lives of MANY of my friends who were diabetic/obese by turning them on this ,proper, way of eating and ALL of them found it MUCH easier and SUSTAINABLE than any kind of "diet" (all caloric deficit diets FAIL, all of them)

5. Zero challenges (even though I was a SUGAR drugie this craving left me after a month of fasting this way) ,the benefits are HUMANGOUS especially how ENERGETIC you feel during the fasting period (burning FAT instead of carbohydrates is TREMENDOUSLY more effective ) and MENTAL CLARITY is heavily improved ,not to mention all the "classic" benefits that any man who fasts gets ( I have friends who were heavily diabetic and aren't any more ,all of my friends lost a LOT of fat and weight etc.)

Oh please DO A BIT OF EXCERCISE DAILY....nothing heavy, a few pushups & sit ups, and try to WALK as much as possible....you will feel the NEED to do it anyhow since you will have a LOT OF ENERGY during the fasting period.

Last edited:

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Appreciate any feedback...

I have had pretty good results with two smaller meals a day and a snack (usually fruit), all between 1300 and 1800. If I were still working long odd hours, it probably wouldn't work as well.

While doing this, I like to get an hour long workout in "early" (btwn 0730 and 0930) and then find something to focus on until mealtime (1300). ((Sadly, sitting at the table wandering around the guitar forums is not conducive to not eating)).

Tuneup

Tele-Holic
I think it's more about what, and how much you're eating than how often.

EZMFE

Tele-Meister
There's also the concept of condensing your 'eating window,' to say, 6 hours a day. Of course you shouldn't completely pig out during that timeframe, but that gives you 18 hours of fasting daily. Like the OP, I have read some benefits fasting / partial fasting. I've been doing the 6-hour window for about 3 months (few minor slips here or there), and have gone from 121 to 110. I feel good!

I'm sticking with KETO. For me it's
a lifestyle change with results. Carbs
are nasty and IMHO are the true culprit
behind inflammation and obesity.

Definitely some truth there for sure. Most people (Americans at least) eat way too many carbs/sugars.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Holic
Just another fad. Eating a balanced diet and regular exercise are the keys to maintaining your weight. You want to lose weight? Eat less or exercise more. It ain’t rocket science.

And that's exactly what you do with intermittent fasting - so what's your point?