One man's trash is another man's trashy Dolphin Nose bass

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Now the sander is in the garage. The shop vac in the shed is pretty plugged but still works. I take a pass without the dust collector connected to the sander.

sanded without vac.jpg

Last edited:

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
It was working but the wind was blowing dust everywhere, so I just went and got out the wet dry and hooked it up. It's interesting that the wet dry pipe doesn't fit a reducer which doesn't fit the sander....nothing fits. I taped it temporarily and will have to source out better parts I guess. Anyway things got sanded to 1.125 thick. The Jet sander works like a champ even in 30 degree temps and with poor vacuum.

blank1.jpg

blank2.jpg

Tom_

TDPRI Member
I’ve taken to 3D printing adaptors for my power tools - it’s very easy to whip up a design which exactly matches the diameters you need, they don’t take too long to print either:
6068CE9C-C0EF-42D0-AB99-E9367FC95629.jpeg

Having said that, since I printed these I upgraded to a Trend T35A dust extractor, and the stepped adaptor which came with that has been uncannily good at fitting a lot of my tools.

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I’ve taken to 3D printing adaptors for my power tools - it’s very easy to whip up a design which exactly matches the diameters you need, they don’t take too long to print either:
View attachment 931825
Having said that, since I printed these I upgraded to a Trend T35A dust extractor, and the stepped adaptor which came with that has been uncannily good at fitting a lot of my tools.

I thought of that yesterday. My 3d printer is kind of idle most days so it could be a good winter project. A bit loose would be better than tight on the tolerances too.

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I positioned the top between the wide edges. I'm good but there wasn't as much spare room as I would like normally. I drew a pencil line around the top. I was thinking how am I going to keep the top from sliding. I generated some alternatives.

A few times I've glued blocks down. I'd have to wait for the glue to dry.

I only had 4 brads in the bottle. That's not enough. I didn't want to drill holes to be plugged later either.

I didn't have any round toothpicks.

The only wood dowel I had was .5 dia...too fat.

Then I remembered I uncovered some kabob skewers in the kitchen..... and kabobs your uncle. They were between 1/8 and 7/64 wide.

skewer.jpg

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have the same bass, an original '63 , I bought in the late 80's from Want Ad Digest from a college kid in Ct for $200..I got Joey Spampinato from NRBQ to sign it years ago..he played one as well..

I think I got mine for 50 dollars at our local flea market. For a number of years before Ebay, I could get a lot of good deals. Ludwig snares for 10 dollars. Lots of Chicago made instruments for 10 dollars each. Ebay and Antiques Roadshow kind of ruined it to some degree.

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Well no snow today so although it is cold we can rout in the shed. Bitteroot got the rod to me 2 days ago so again....kudos to him/them on the fast shipping, especially this week. These import rods take a 1/4" slot and bit. I found the center and lined up the fence.

line up bit.jpg

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Then a couple more passes until the rod sat just a hair below the wood. The bottom of these rods are not parallel to the top rod, which is why I prefer a hot rod from stewmac. Thus we need to fuss with slot to accomodate the nut and the slight taper. Not a huge deal...but it's still more work than a hotrod.

to depth.jpg

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Then on to the edge sander. The belt is a bit worn and it was taking longer than I thought it would. Time for a new belt. I did what I could and then decided to flush trim the rest off. The body is 1.125 plus the top which is a hair over .25.

The cutter is 1"long by .5 dia. This means I had to lower the bit and do the remainder.

Sanding close and using a Whiteside bit...no tearout to speak of.

I do have defects to fill anyway, so that's why I wasn't concerned with the inevitable tearout when doing this perimeter flush trim rout procedure.

sand close to line.jpg

put in flush trim bit.jpg
flush trim the perimeter.jpg
resultant flush trimmed edges..jpg