One man's trash is another man's trashy Dolphin Nose bass

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Yank off pattern. Chuck up the larger forstner in the drill press and hog out the waste. Then chisel it out and scrape the bottom .
hog with forstner.jpg
forstner 2.jpg
chisel.jpg
clean out.jpg

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The weather has kept me from doing a few things on the base so today I decided to model a knob and print a prototype of it. It came out OK but I need to make it more Dano like. Drawn and modeled in Rhino from the dimensions on the PDF. I opted to skip the "knurl" until I get the shape worked out.

knob.JPG

LuckyJinx

Tele-Meister
This is a really cool build, thanks for sharing.

While waiting for the power failure, I did the 29.5 scale fret spacing using the stewmac fret calculator.
Fret position calculator - StewMac
Have you tried FretFind 2d?

You enter the scale length and fret count (same as the SM tool) but you also enter the string spacing type, string widths at nut and bridge, overhang, and a few other details and it not only spits out the measurements (in more detail than SM) but also generates a file with the diagram in PDF, SVG, DXF or a bunch of other formats.

I don't know if that would save you some work copying the values into a CAD file.

Beware the "single page PDF" option, it seems to simply ignore conversions and use a "one unit is one unit is one unit" approach, so the generated document will be bigger or smaller depending on the units you pick (WTF). The one I generated from milimetre measurements was humongous.

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
This is a really cool build, thanks for sharing.

Have you tried FretFind 2d?

You enter the scale length and fret count (same as the SM tool) but you also enter the string spacing type, string widths at nut and bridge, overhang, and a few other details and it not only spits out the measurements (in more detail than SM) but also generates a file with the diagram in PDF, SVG, DXF or a bunch of other formats.

I don't know if that would save you some work copying the values into a CAD file.

Beware the "single page PDF" option, it seems to simply ignore conversions and use a "one unit is one unit is one unit" approach, so the generated document will be bigger or smaller depending on the units you pick (WTF). The one I generated from milimetre measurements was humongous.

Thanks. Those tuners were open slot like vintage F style so I ordered some without the open slot. They came yesterday and I glued on a nut this morning. I will put in some slots and see how the strings go on the neck.

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I had a couple bone nuts that I made here and there that I lost and I found again. One of them didn't require much to do to use it, so I stuck one in there with a dab of yellow glue last night. I filed it flush to one edge of the neck and filed 4 slots in there. I stuck on 4 strings from the Slinky 6 string short scale bass set. It seems to tune up fine. This seems like it could be a fun bass to actually complete when the weather gets up to something better than 25 degrees.

strings.jpg