One man's trash is another man's trashy Dolphin Nose bass

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
And it worked out nicely and now I know where the center of the pickup has to be too. The body will be painted some opaque color, so I'm not worried about the darkness in the plate.

disk 0.jpg

it fits.jpg

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I glued it onto the circular blank with glue stick. You should start to see a trend with this glue stick business, eh? Then I drilled some pilot holes for the screws and the slot.

drill some pilot holes.jpg

pilot holes 2.jpg

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Then using that nice rasp that I got off of Amazon that I linked earlier, I rasped. It's almost like a coarse file. The wood comes off pretty easily. I then took some sandpaper around a 1/2" aluminum rod and sanded the rest of the way until the pickup went through.

rasp waste.jpg

fit the pickup.jpg

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I removed the pattern with some damp paper towel. I dried the wood off as I didn't want it to warp. I drilled and chiseled some pickup mounting screw and spring access into the body.

access for pickup plate and screws and springs.jpg

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The holes from the back and the pattern glued onto the back with glue stick. The Dano bass was hollow under the controls, so the pot wouldn't interfere with the control cavity cover which was just screwed to the surface with no pickguard rabbet. I will deviate from this design as I'm using solid wood and need room for the pot. That means the control cavity needs to get bigger or everything shifted over. I'll think on it.
holes on back.jpg

pattern aligned.jpg

Engraver-60

Friend of Leo's
I just caught up on this thread. Pretty cool, Marty. It should be a fun bass to play. Did you make the lipstick pickup?

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
The holes from the back and the pattern glued onto the back with glue stick. The Dano bass was hollow under the controls, so the pot wouldn't interfere with the control cavity cover which was just screwed to the surface with no pickguard rabbet. I will deviate from this design as I'm using solid wood and need room for the pot. That means the control cavity needs to get bigger or everything shifted over. I'll think on it. View attachment 940423

View attachment 940424
Why not turn the pattern a wee bit to open it up some. No need to change it