One man's trash is another man's trashy Dolphin Nose bass

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Now the screws I had here were just a touch too wide at the head to fit into the counterbore on the underside of the bridge. I chucked them up and filed them from a sharp to a flat with a file. I had to do one a couple times as the screws aren't perfectly concentric. Cheap quality.

machine flat on screws.jpg

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
It's freezing out and so we turn to indoor work. The pickguard is today and I don't relish cutting pickguard material on the bandsaw because is ends up everywhere. So out comes some hand tools. Now anybody looking to buy pickguard material knows how expensive a sheet is. So I'm going to use scrap I saved for this one. First we print out the PDF and cut it out.
printout.jpg
trim copy.jpg

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I got my scrap out and located the spot for it. I'm going to have to round one corner but that's OK and I don't think anyone will complain here. I stuck it down with glue stick.

find pickguard scrap.jpg

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
So I find my ROSS drum and use that by hand as it's too cold to set up the ROSS which is in the shed. The rubber drums like to be warm and won't compress in the cold fendering the drum just spinning.

sand with drum.jpg

Last edited:

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The weather moderated today so I decided to rout a rabbet in my pickup cavity to accommodate a round pickup plate. Here is the bit...a Yonico I think. You get what you pay for with router bits. This bit rarely gets used so I decided to go cheap. It works for something simple like this. Now I have to make a round plate with a pickup hole in it.

bit.jpg

rabbet.jpg

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Ok...so I found some more garbage wood big enough to make the plate. I re adjusted my hole cutter and went to town with it. The first one I cut into about 75% and flipped over. It left a pretty good v shape, so I redid another and went as far as I could without cutting into the table.

disk 1.jpg

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
It was kind of short to thickness sand by itself so I taped it to a carrier board and sanded it to just a hair higher than the rout. This took off most of that v shape that was induced by the angle of the cutter.

carrier board and tape.jpg