One man's trash is another man's trashy Dolphin Nose bass

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2003
Posts
25,099
Location
Ontario County
With my new Jet drum sander purchase, I've been able to thickness sand the poplar panels that were from a pile on the side of the road by my home. I decided to proceed with a Silvertone 1444 AKA dolphin nose bass. These were Danelectro made and sold through Sears back when I was a kid. I had one later on in life as a flea market purchase and flipped it. I always said I'd make one sometime and now is the time.


silvertone 1444.jpg
 

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2003
Posts
25,099
Location
Ontario County
I have a pickup. I don't have the bridge and they are out of stock at the moment, so I'm going to proceed with the idea that I " may" have to make one. Danos were masonite top and back with a poplar and/or pine core.

I'm not about to use masonite as I don't think today's masonite is the same hardness based on a Dano Convertible I did a long time ago. The middle is hidden with a strip of leather looking plastic strip on the originals, and smooth plastic tape on the reissues.

The neck will be from part of the poplar built-in that all this wood came from. It has a couple holes where some drawer handles are mounted. I'll either do a walnut or rosewood fretboard. I have other cast off wood that I could use but the idea of an oak fretboard doesn't really thrill me. Oak was also in this pile of wood by the road that I harvested.


The weather has been up and down and we had a nice day, so I sanded the panels to a hair over .25" thick. You can see the stained rabbets that the guy did. I think these were door panels to said built-in.

sanded panels.jpg
 
Last edited:

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2003
Posts
25,099
Location
Ontario County
Now as far as a design and drawing goes, there isn't any available one for a single cut Dano that I've found. I started to trace a body in my drawing program and got bored quickly. I have a reissue U-2. I was going to trace the pattern and cut and scan it. It wasn't working out that well, so I found a dutch instrument builder that sold the plan. I emailed him about availability. He said it was still a thing, so I bought it and downloaded it.


I'll give him a plug as it's nice to be recognized for providing information to people.

Instrument Plans | The Dutch Luthier (wordpress.com)

dolphin nose.png
 

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2003
Posts
25,099
Location
Ontario County
The other day we had like hurricane force winds so I stayed inside waiting for the inevitable power failure. The lights blinked about 10 times but we never lost power. I believe this is because I had gasoline and started the generator. I also filled up some spare containers of water and ran the spare extension cord to the sump pump area. You only need to lose power for 10 days once ( 1991)before you become quite paranoid in an all electric home. But I digress. I took the pdf and converted it to a DXF file for the body perimeter. I figured I'd try cutting out a pattern for the body. Looking around, there weren't any sheet goods, so I just decided to cut the top and back out.

I stuck the two panels together with some double sided tape.

double sided tape.jpg
 
Last edited:

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2003
Posts
25,099
Location
Ontario County
Using a relatively new laptop with a relatively new X controller and a relatively new software program called the nightly build of universal Gcode sender, I did a dry run cutting air. Now it was kind of interesting that I needed 17.75" long piece of material to make the parts, and that is exactly what I had in between rabbets. This wood was destined for this bass. I carefully lined up the cutter to the zero point.

I started the cut through both panels. Keeping my fingers crossed that nothing stupid would happen. I used Easel to generate the Gcode for this. This was the first time trying it out for that.

first pass.jpg
 
Last edited:

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Posts
13,796
Age
62
Location
East Tennessee
I've always suspected (but can't prove) Gibson used this for the Les Paul (general shape). All their shenanigans patenting body shapes and all, wonder who gave them THAT idea :lol:
 

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Posts
13,796
Age
62
Location
East Tennessee

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2003
Posts
25,099
Location
Ontario County
https://www.gra8.com/products/allpa...ddle-bridge-in-chrome-upgrade-for-wood-bridge

But also, this isn't a fantastic bridge design, at least based on the Korean reissue guitars I've fiddled with and the Korean baritone I own.


I saw those yesterday. Allparts sells one but they are all out at this time and I'm not going to spend 120 dollars to get one from Japan. I can make a new rosewood intonated saddle if I was really worried. I have the Allparts guitar version of that bridge in front of me too.
 
Last edited:




New Posts

Top