Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by GunsOfBrixton, Dec 22, 2020.
Forgot to show what the added depth ring looked like. Buzzed out another One this morning. Will probably just use it on the swamp ash body.
Took less than 5 minutes from heading to the basement to sitting back down in my office chair. A good break from my day job.
Oh, and also got my second vaccination shot this morning.
Cut Out the swamp ash body. Weighs in at just over 4 lbs. It is 1.85" thick and the poplar / butter nut one is about 1.65 " thick. I may plane off a little from the back of the swamp ash body. Should have.done that before I cut it out. Oops. If I do that I will need to recut the control cavity cover area. I would make a template to do that so it is in the right place. I could try and realign it on the cnc but not sure if it is worth the effort.
Very nice. I really like that shape!
I'm in the same frame of mind about building more guitars at the moment as I no longer play but I enjoy my days in the Sawdust Factory too much to stop producing quality sawdust altogether!
My youngest daughter is a Prep grade school teacher and I have recently made her two sets of wooden alphabet characters which she uses to teach her class English/ etc. They have been a great success apparently so I am about to make her some sets of numbers 1 to 0. It may be that I have created a monster for myself because some of the other teachers have asked where they can get some for themselves as well!
Zipped off about 0.1" off the back of the swamp ash body. Brought it down to 3 lbs. 11 ounces. Also cut out a template to re do the cavity cover recess. The last image is the template lined up on the body.
Bit of binding work on the butternut / poplar Body. Oh, the stew mac binding router bit set is worth the investment.
Oh and yesterday was a bit cold and rainy (today isnt much better) so homemade bread was in order.
I'd rather have snow than this stuff.
Let's just get this out.of the way. I am in total agreement with Marty that sanding is the worst! But to be totally honest, I brought some of the pain on myself.
I wanted to enhance the grain on the swamp ash so that it will stand out a bit under the planned Mary Kaye white finish. So, out came the black eye. No problem but like an idiot, I even applied it to the edges. Oops, end grain Robert! So, it took a lot of work to get it back to what I wanted.
Also stained the butternut body.
Also drilled the bridge ground wire holes and the electro socket holes.
Made some p90 mounts. Had some aluminum bar. Had to make some templates to fit in the cavity to properly space the mount. Also had to invest in a 2mm tap and drill bit and 2mm x 40mm bolts. Why may you ask? Why not...
Had to get some screws to hold the plates down.
There is a little play in them so I can adjust the alignment. Did a quick test and they worked well. Did the same thing for the TV Jones filtertron sized p90s.
Spent some time modeling the neck for the heel and neck transitions. The heel is really good and the neck is just about right. Close enough where a little sanding after the CNCing should take care of it. I am going to do a test cut with it in pine and see how it comes out.
Worked out a little better way (at least for me) to do the headstock transition. It's not perfect yet but it was good practice and gives me a great starting point after I finish with these builds to just work on neck designing in Fusion 360.
the first image is a Zebra analysis of the headstock transition. Much smoother than the previous iteration / methodology. You will just have to take my word for it.
So you are working in Fusion 360 now?
Yes for doing the 3d designing. Still usin CAMBAM for some of the 2.5d and CAM functionality. After these 2 builds are done I plan on switching from Mach3 over to UCCNC. I will either get their UC100 USB adapter (which if I recall you have 1) or their ethernet adapter so I can run it using one of my newer PC's I have laying around. Once I make that switch I will work on doing CAM inside fusion 360 instead of CAMBAM. Though I will hang onto CAMBAM since it is really useful for simple designs and tasks. After that I will be looking into a possible CNC upgrade of some kind. We shall see.
Last iteration and really happy with the result. The headstock transition is what I was envisioning.
Now to move on to doing a test cut or 2.
A few observations
2. That will be some guitar when it’s done
3. You must have the patience of a saint.
4. Some more images of your Avatar will be appreciated by all, I’m certain
The guitar and amp builders here are a fascinating group for the all-thumbed to read.
Thanks for checking it out. I am actually not very patient when it comes to most things. In fact, my wife would like it if I showed a little more at times!
Here's a link to some info about my avatar:
Buzzed out a test neck yesterday . (Pine body and poplar fretboard) It came out really nice except the back carve feels a little thin. (It is exactly what I designed, nothing to do with the CNC) So, I have altered the design a bit in Fusion 360 and will cut another one (back carve only) to see how the change feels. The back carve took just about 1 hour of machine time. I have also made few adjustments to the feed rate and boundries on this new one to try and cut that down just a bit. The simulation I ran showed around 30 minutes. The real time normally is a little more than the simulation time but not by much. The heel and headstock transitions came out really well. They will need just a bit of touch up sanding and scraping but the overall shape is there.
When I do the real necks, the hardest part will be aligning the fretboard since they are already radiused and slotted. Not impossible, just need to go slow and make sure it is right before I hit go on the CNC to do the neck outline cutting.