1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

One last one and done.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by GunsOfBrixton, Dec 22, 2020.

1. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Enough clamps for the test body.

20210331_150644.jpg

crazydave911 and guitarbuilder like this.
  2. GunsOfBrixton

Decided to change gears for a bit. Cut out a test neck to work out the truss rod slot and tuner holes. Maybe just a little longer cut on the upper portion of the truss rod slot but other than that it looks good to me.

20210406_205817.jpg 20210406_205844.jpg 20210406_205826.jpg

3. GunsOfBrixton

Spent quite a bit of time in the basement today. Cut out some pickguards, control cavity covers and 3/4" templates for the pickguards to use for adding a chamber of I decide to. I will post pictures of those later. Did run in to a few cutting issues on the templates. The anti backlash nut.on my x axis came loose. Ended up having.to do some again. Oops.

Got a set.of 4x2 hipshot tuners in. Was going.to go with sperzels but they never responded to an quote request.

Here is what it will look like.

20210410_162324.jpg 20210410_162211.jpg 20210410_162426.jpg

crazydave911 and guitarbuilder like this.
  4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Too nice a day to be inside..... we went on the Auburn RR Trail in Fishers. What a nice place to walk.

crazydave911 and GunsOfBrixton like this.
  5. GunsOfBrixton

Here are the pick guards, templates and control cavity covers. The tort is going on what was to be the test body. But I am also going to finish that one. So it is really, 2 and done. They are going to be gifts for my best friends' son and daughter. The tort is a little different shape. It is a bit smaller because that body is going to get a pair of regular size p90s. The black one goes with TV Jones sized p90s. (The are the same size as their classic filtertrons. )

20210410_170242.jpg

6. GunsOfBrixton

I know, but I just got carried away. I am sitting outside now and will be grilling later!

That's a nice trail. I worked in Fishers a number of years ago and one of my colleagues and I used to ride our mountain bikes along the trail at lunchtime . Then we would get takeout from Food at Fishers station. One of my all time favorite places to eat. They are closed now due to the pandemic but I hope they open up again.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    crazydave911 likes this.
  7. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

That has NOT been my experience with Spertzel. Did you fill out a quote sheet? And if you did did you leave something blank? The only time I got no response was something that in my mind I had already answered. But their email program won't forward the email to a human if it detects an empty field. Silly I know but there you are. You could have emailed the main email like I did and ask what gives. I did and found out this foolishness promptly lol

GunsOfBrixton likes this.
  8. GunsOfBrixton

They had responded to my original inquiry about different spacer sizes but when I submitted a quote request I never heard back. I am pretty sure I filled in all the fields. But in the end, it doesn't matter. I like hipshot tuners and I like ssupporting local business. (they are located about an hour from here)

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. GunsOfBrixton

Screw It, just going to make double neck! :)

20210410_205536.jpg

Testing out the neck pocket route and pickup routes. The neck pocket is good. A little loose. Should be perfect with finish.

The TV Jones p90 pickup routes were perfect. I have done these quite a few times so it is dialed in.

The regular p90 routes were a bit tight. Need to just adjust the cut to add a little over cut. Pretty simple.

A couple of extra "double neck" shots.

20210410_205525.jpg

20210410_205547.jpg

10. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'm late to the party, as usual, enjoying the show!

11. GunsOfBrixton

Glad you are checking it out. Thanks!

Blue Bill and crazydave911 like this.
  12. crazydave911

I thought as much, I just don't like the fact they aren't very forthcoming with info for the public. Last year I commissioned a build from Rice Rice. He is a Hipshot dealer and very high on them. I don't care for the shape of the metal buttons that come on them and since his son does the ordering I advised I would check. With the wood and layout of the guitar I wanted Amber buttons to set the right tone. On the website (and I'm not a beginner online) I did my search. The only Amber listed was the huge butterbean, NOT what I wanted. I sent an email politely asking if they carried but display them. One WEEK later I got an email saying what was on the website was what they offered. On the verge of getting Spertzels now for sure I contacted Rich with my complaint. He called his who called their rep then told me to hold off a week which I did. 6 days later he opens a box on Duo and there my Amber Buttons, EXACTLY like I had wanted along with my tuners. Now I know I'm no dealer for them but sight unseen they have no idea how much business you could throw their way. Being lied to via email is not good form. And although my guitar, tuners and all is beautiful, I have not recommended nor bad mouth them until today and I already regret it. If you are happy that is enough and I'm glad for you

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  13. GunsOfBrixton

Don't think you are bad mouthing them at all, just relaying an experience you had. Nothing to regret.

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. crazydave911

Thanks, American made is the hallmark of both ;)

15. GunsOfBrixton

Cut out what was originally just going to be a test body but is now going to go to one of my "nephews ". The butternut top and poplar both machine very nicely. Took about 1.5 hours from start to finish, including all tool changes. The updated p90 routes came out perfect. Here is a little mockup.

Oh, and this body will probably get tort binding on the top.

20210411_145146.jpg

20210411_145157.jpg

And for those that might want to know, it weighs about 3 lbs 5 ounces. (It is chambered)

20210411_145831.jpg

So, given that I now have a plan as to who these builds are for, I will make these my unofficial entries into the Brotherhood / Sisterhood builds. (Since they are going to siblings
    :D)

The neck shown will be going on this build at least originally. (it was on a different build I did for a friend but he didn't bond with it) I may use the maple one I cut out as a test as a replacement down the road. We shall see. The other body will be getting the pau ferro / rosewood neck. (Yet to be built)

Thanks for following along.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  16. guitarbuilder

Butternut is the new swamp ash.....

17. GunsOfBrixton

I like it. I wanted to make the whole body out of it but unfortunately, Pittsford lumber only had 1 piece in stock that was cracked and only 4/4. (I already had a book matched Set for the top)

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. guitarbuilder

Check out facebook marketplace and craigslist. A lot of times you'll find air dried stuff reasonably priced. I bought a couple huge hunks from Pittsford Lumber years ago and just cut into it last year.

Marketplace - Butternut lumber for Sale | Facebook

Butternut Lumber - materials - by owner - sale (craigslist.org)

crazydave911 likes this.
  19. GunsOfBrixton

crazydave911 likes this.
  20. GunsOfBrixton

I noticed the ledge in the control cavity was a bit too thin. So I fired up the CNC and cut an over sized ring out (1/4" larger that the cavity cover size) with the same size opening out of a piece.of 1/4" maple thin stock. Glued up one side, fished it into the cavity (went easier than I imagined) A couple of small clamps and Bob's my uncle. I actually do have an uncle Bob.

20210411_193523.jpg

wadeeinkauf, RogerC and crazydave911 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.