1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

One last one and done.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by GunsOfBrixton, Dec 22, 2020.

1. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

So, I have come to the conclusion that I don't need any more guitars (actually trying to off load a few) and I don't have anyone in mind to build one for as a gift but I do want to build at least one semi-original design. Not planning on straying to far from the tele-verse but just enough to make it "mine". Here is the basic idea:

INGRID_BODY_.png

So, it will be a chambered, swamp ash body finished in some approx. of Mary Kaye white. Pickups will most likely be TJ Jones classics but I may go with their version of p90's. (Fit in the TV Jones route) It will have 1 volume, 1 tone and a 3 way toggle switch. Laid out like a reverse tele plate but routed from the back. Neck will most likely be maple with a rosewood fretboard. For the 4+2 headstock, I will likely go with Sperzels, with one of them having a longer spacer for the b tuner. For the bridge, I will just use a Wilkinson, and use it as a top loader. I thought about making it a 24" scale but will stick with 25.5" . There will be no rush on this one. I do plan on designing it all in fusion 360 including the neck and neck profile. I will probably make a few test necks out of pine to try and dial in cutting the profile using the CNC. I have hand carved all my previous necks and they have turned out nice but I tend to make them pretty beefy. I would like to try and get this one more like the Warmoth neck that is on my avatar.

After this is built, I plan on spending more time playing around in fusion 360 and building / test cutting neck profiles. Maybe even offering up CNC time to people. You provide the wood / material / shipping and I will provide the dust making for free. :)

And, of course, more time actually playing guitar would be a good idea....

gasouthpaw, bcorig, Laren and 18 others like this.
  2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ve also built to the point that I got em lying around all over; might’ve already done my last one...

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Trust me...you don't need a reason to make guitars....if anything it keeps you out of trouble....

Laren, DrASATele, gitlvr and 3 others like this.
  4. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That design is cool.

Laren, GunsOfBrixton and crazydave911 like this.
  5. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

I think may do two of my design next year if possible. Did you consider a 25" scale? It's really handy and a good compromise between Fender and Gibson. I'm afraid I really don't care for humbuckers on 25.5, just don't ever sound quite right to me but hey it's yours. My two will be a solidbody and an acoustic/electric, both 25" scale BTW. Just something I've gotten used to and does NOT make me a PRS fan ;)

photondev and GunsOfBrixton like this.
  6. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Aside from a personal preference towards maple fretboard, I think that looks pretty sharp. Good luck with it!

7. GunsOfBrixton

I will most likely keep building parts but I just don't see another full build
    But who knows what the future holds.

8. GunsOfBrixton

Thanks! This would be my first build with a rosewood fretboard. Something different .

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. GunsOfBrixton

Dave, I just prefer The Fender scale length. I am sort of leaning towards the TV Jones p90's though.

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. GunsOfBrixton

Thanks!

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

I feel ya, man. I've kinda burned myself out at this point. I've built 39 guitars and have #40 waiting in the wings for a friend. That will probably be my last for a bit because I'm just finding the shop time to be tedious right now.

I'll probably start up again in a year or so because the itch will be too great, but for now, I'm more than happy to just work on other stuff.

12. GunsOfBrixton

Roger, 40 sounds like a good time to take a break. :)

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Other than Dilbones in 2011 I don't recall the sound with the longer scale. I grew up on my grandpa's Byrdland 23" and my Silvertone 25" and my buddies custom Teisco I just loved at an honest 24.75. Don't get me wrong, I have a severe love/hate thing with Gibson but the first Fender I played, a Strat felt like a board with that straight neck and teles weren't common around here for awhile 3 and the first one I played, a thinline had pissy pickups and WAS a board. That one took me a LONG time to like even a little. Then Fender took away what I liked about Strats, 3 way switch, reverse polarity middle pickup came and sigh, everything people think now is great I saw as a travesty. Then I found a Gretsch Duo Jet and was saved :lol:. Previous owner had changed out the DeAromds for Filtertrons and with the 24.75 scale I was in love :D. The STUPIDEST thing I ever sold, and yes a woman was involved :rolleyes:.
    So maybe I just don't have a common frame of reference, my vintage cream Tele has rail humbuckers and a Strat neck. My Strat has an EMG humbucker bridge and vintage neck single coil and my Tele neck :lol:. I just never liked a Tele neck on a Tele :lol::lol:
    I suppose I probably really have problems lmfao

received_355839518439511.jpeg

87Lion and GunsOfBrixton like this.
  14. songtherapy

songtherapy NEW MEMBER!

Nice Design!
    Updated headstock, cutaways and pickguard. A Beauty...

I feel the same about not needing anymore guitars. After being away from TDPRI for 11 years, and building two dozen some odd 51-53 style Teles for myself, a few original shape travel electrics for flying and fixing a hundred or so for friends, I decided to teach more and play more.

So I released four of my own projects on CD Baby and helped dozens of folks producing, recording and mixing their projects. It felt really great to get back in the studio.

So I think you idea of offering up your CNC skills to others is Awesome! It is really fun to help others get their dreams into reality.

And of course, continuing to play!!

15. GunsOfBrixton

Thanks! Sounds like you have found plenty to replace building with.

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. GunsOfBrixton

So, I really feel like I need to get this out of my system. (Slowly but steadily) To that end I bought a few pieces of what will be the final product. A piece of Paul ferro for the neck to pair with a rosewood fretboard I had stashed away.

20210321_084852.jpg

A 3 piece swamp ash blank for the body. Will need.to plane it down to 1.5".

20210321_084858.jpg
    And a book matched 1/4" swamp ash too.

20210321_084938.jpg
    I do plan on making a test body first. Just need to run to the lumber store to pick up something for the body. I think I have some thin stock laying around for the top. Need to place orders for the rest of the parts.

17. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

One of these days I have to go back to Pittsford Lumber and re-introduce myself.

crazydave911 and GunsOfBrixton like this.
  18. GunsOfBrixton

Thinking of looking For some 8/4 butternut for the test body. Or whatever looks interesting there.

crazydave911 likes this.
  19. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

I have too many, minus one, lol.
    But I can't stop building. In the process of seeking out local school music programs to donate my builds to. Gotta keep building, but I can't keep em anymore.

crazydave911 likes this.
  20. GunsOfBrixton

Making progress and making chips. Got the thin line pockets cut on both the test body (poplar) and the actual body (swamp ash). Used the test body to dial in the cutting parameters for the swamp ash body. Sped up the feed rate a little and reduced the crossover (cut width). Went through the ash like butter. I am sure I Could have even bumped up the feed rate a bit more.

Test body:

20210330_114233.jpg
    Swamp ash body and the chips that didn't get sucked up in the dust shoe.

20210330_114212.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.