One I haven't shared - Next Train Home

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Chud, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I recorded this one a bunch of years ago and don't think I've ever shared it. Not 100% thrilled with the mix. A bit hot, I was going through a "compress the crap out of everything" phase, and there are some different EQ, pan, and leveling choices I'd make if I were remixing today. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the original multitrack .wavs so unless I start from scratch, it kind of is what it is. Lol

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/1148223715&color=#ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&show_teaser=true"></iframe><div style="font-size: 10px; color: #cccccc;line-break: anywhere;word-break: normal;overflow: hidden;white-space: nowrap;text-overflow: ellipsis; font-family: Interstate,Lucida Grande,Lucida Sans Unicode,Lucida Sans,Garuda,Verdana,Tahoma,sans-serif;font-weight: 100;"><a href="" title="Chudster" target="_blank" style="color: #cccccc; text-decoration: none;">Chudster</a> · <a href="" title="Next Train Home" target="_blank" style="color: #cccccc; text-decoration: none;">Next Train Home</a></div>

Looking forward to any thoughts on it as it's not out of the realm of possibility to completely re-record it since I'm starting up on what may be a new EP currently. :D

EDIT: Is it just me, or are TDPRI and Soundcloud not playing together nicely lately?

KATT and Lou Tencodpees like this.
  2. Lou Tencodpees

Lou Tencodpees Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nice catchy tune and performance! Yeah, Soundcloud is very glitchy for me on my Android. Shortly after launch I get a lot of crackling. My wife doesn't have the same issues on her iPhone so it could be an android thing . Its one of the reasons I migrated to Soundclick.

Chud likes this.
  3. Chud

Thanks! The sound on Soundcloud is fine, it just populates the player wonky on TDPRI, at least from my view there's a bunch of code text and two players that show up no matter what I try.

Thinking back to the original tracking of this tune, there were a lot of layers to it. Double tracked acoustic guitar with regular tuning, double tracked Nashville tuned acoustic, simplified/clean electric rhythm tracks, etc... It was a lot of fun to record. I have to dig out some old hard drives and see if I can't find those original tracks.

4. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

Nicely done. Has a familiar sound but not in a bad way. When you got to the chorus I was like holy crap he can get high. Nice harmonies.

Is the lead in the 2nd chorus, on the right side, Les Paul neck pup? Curious as to what guitars you used with what amps....

Chud likes this.
  5. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nice work , !

great playing , the guitar could be a little more up front on the solos , but well mixed in the verses and chorus's
    did you do all the instrumentation?

Chud likes this.
  6. dublindave8456

dublindave8456 TDPRI Member

wow that's awesome !!!
    mix is a bit off....
    guitars are too loud ( am I saying that ?...)
    I would take the drums and bass up, guitars down,
    that's it , vocals and harmonies are top notch....
    great song well done you !!!!

Chud likes this.
  7. Chud

:lol::lol: I don't know if I can still get that high, but may have to find out if I can't find the original tracks to remix. Lol.

All of the electrics were actually done with Guitar Rig (may have been 4 at that time). Trying to remember what was used for guitar as it wasn't me on lead. Pretty sure it was a neck humbucker, may not have been a LP though.

Thanks Paris! Piano, lead guitar, and bass were all done by better players than I. All of the base tracks (drum programming, rhythm gtr, acoustics) were me.

Thanks! There's definitely different choices I'd make if I could find the raw tracks. Lol. Still hopeful I'll find a hard drive or a partition I've forgotten about somewhere.

24 track likes this.
  8. swervinbob

swervinbob Friend of Leo's

I like it. But, like was said before, the solo needs to punch through more. Good job

Chud likes this.
  9. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I like the song. Solo up a bit, keyboard down a tiny bit in the verse and back off the bass a little? All academic now of course given you can't remix. Definitely worth re-recording in my opinion, good song.

Chud likes this.
  10. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

If we're talking mix I'm more of a rhythm guitars down some. More drums and a hair more vocals. That's just me though.

Chud likes this.
  11. Chud

Here’s a lesson in backing up your data. Make sure you explicitly back up track level data in addition to just saving projects. Particularly important as we change machines as we all do eventually. I still have every hard drive from every machine I’ve owned, because I’m paranoid like that. I’ve hit up every drive I still have in my possession, and it’s become clear that I overwrote the drive that had probably a lot of track level data.

:cry::cry::cry:

FortyEight likes this.
  12. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Nice work, Chud, although I see what you mean about the compression.

As far as the rhythm guitars sticking out: Even if you're stuck with this mix, you might could tame them (and pump up the vocals?) using automated Mid-Side EQ/transparent compression/other plugins.

[OT — is that a .50-caliber machine gun in your avatar?]

MickM and Chud like this.
  13. Chud

Thanks! I’m thinking it’s worthy of a re-record, but I’ll see if I can tame some of it meanwhile.

And yep, that’s my Ma Deuce. :cool:

MickM likes this.
  14. woodman

Yeah, I'm going thru a "to do or not to do" on a re-record/update of my 2008 bomb "It's Gettin' Crazy Out There," so I can empathize.

Those suckers could lay down a field of fire ... just pray it doesn't jam! :D

Chud likes this.
  15. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I like both versions but I honestly couldn't tell you the difference between compression and submission. Reminds me a bit of Springsteen's first couple records with an edgier vibe.
    Also diggin' the avatar.
    EDIT: The old avatar with the .50 cal. Browning! But, the bathing pachyderm is cool too.

Chud likes this.
  16. Chud

Yeah, there’s something funky with how TDPRI and SoundCloud are playing together that posts two players. I can’t figure it out, but it’s the same track. You’re not hallucinating that you can’t tell the difference. :lol::lol:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  17. Chud

If you think a Ma Deuce can lay down a field of fire, you need to meet her even hotter next door neighbor…the MK19 40mm Grenade Machine Gun…

73551803-142D-4CF2-9A2D-97F5529A0D6B.jpeg

Yep, that’s right. Forty millimeter GRENADE MACHINE GUN.

studio likes this.
  18. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Is that you on vocals brother?

Awesome!

My vote is to have you make a redo.
    Or maybe you can salvage this electric mix like Woody said with some multiband?

I dig it!

Chud likes this.
  19. woodman

M-79 rounds?
    Sheesh!

Chud likes this.
  20. Chud

Yep, that’s me lol. I’m leaning toward re-recording too. I started playing around w it on acoustic last night and am thinking a more stripped down version would be good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.