One Guitar, one amp, one year!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ZZB3, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

I wish you the best with that, and also remember the old days among average folk musicians when gear was not the focus but rather the tool.

For me, the Telecaster and Stratocaster are inseparable. One is a refinement of the other going both ways. An endless love affair. So with one multipurpose amp that's my minimal rig.

2. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

I give it two weeks.

Mistercharlie and hellopike like this.
  3. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Not so long ago I had a room full of guitar cases, to the point where I wasn't even sure what guitar was in which case. A period of enforced poverty prompted me to sell pretty much everything except an acoustic. Now all I have is listed below; two guitars to gig with, keeping one as spare, and the archtop for when I'm alone at home, pretending I'm Kenny Burrell, and when there's nobody around to hear my embarrassing 'jazz' fumblings.

Route67 likes this.
  4. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

THere is a middle ground between 20 effects & pedalboards/wall warts hassle; & using one pedal or two max.

I like to have a slight overdrive ; & also sometime a rotary sim. Life is too short to go direct all the time.

Also I'm no Howling Wolf or Freddie King - I need all the toys & help I could get :)

Route67 likes this.
  5. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Minimalism is trending!
    Amoungst millennials mostly.

6. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

I run a CS Nocaster straight into my tweed Blues Junior 99% of the time and get 80% of the tones I'm after 70% of the time!

7. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

I have done that (kinda) for about the past year, and now that I have I am beginning to sell some stuff off. I have 5 remaining guitars and will probably keep 3, and 8 remaining amps and will probably keep 3. It's given me pause to wonder how much stuff has come and gone over the past 50 years.

I have used the rig in my avatar at home, rehearsals and gigs since last April. I do use a minimal board for gigs (tuner, comp, drive, delay). The longer I do it the less desire I have to use anything else and the more I just pick up the guitar and play. I've played for a lifetime and and am improving again for the first time in quite a while. It's quite a change in the way you think to just think only of playing and never about what you are using.

surfandguitar likes this.
  8. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've been doing this for years. I had one electric and one amp for about 20 years; I just got my second electric 2 years ago, and recently bought a new amp to replace the dying SS I had been using.

Even though I only have two electrics now, the Tele is pretty much exclusive, so...

9. pdcorlis

pdcorlis Tele-Meister

Sold off several guitars and a couple of mediocre amps, parked my pedals in the closet and now my only guitar is a Fender Classic 50s Lacquer and I play straight into an amp. Granted it's a Mustang II but I've settled on one preset. To be fair, that preset includes reverb, a hint of delay, and tremolo as options - but that's it.

I couldn't be happier.

Route67 likes this.
  10. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

One man,one guitar,one amp,one effect.
    It works for me.
    Everything I want in a rig.

[​IMG]

11. ZZB3

ZZB3 Tele-Holic

I am loving the replies. To answer some of the responses:

Although I have a very nice acoustic, years ago I had hurt my hands and so electric was the only game in town for awhile.
    I am not a millennial but a Boomer. It has felt good though to get rid of a lot of unused guitars and amps, vintage and otherwise.
    For a rotor effect I put the guitar down and play my Hammond B3 through a couple of Leslies.
    As far as giving this escapade up after two weeks; I have had good training having been married to the same "ornery" woman for 28 years. I accept the challenge.

As an added fun and as a visual reminder of the documentary process I (with the wife's permission of course) have decided not to shave either during this time of One Guitar, One Amp, One year.

Life is Good, ZZB3

Galibier_Un and esetter like this.
  12. You-Tele-Me

You-Tele-Me Tele-Meister

When I first read this, I thought "I couldn't possibly do that" because I'm just getting back into the electric and the effects for the past couple of years. But then, I realized I had basically done that for a few years when I was just playing the 12 string acoustic on it's own at home and through the Trace Elliot amp for the very rare gig. It's definitely a way to become proficient to the point of 'able to do it in your sleep' on one rig.

It does have feel of going on a research expedition or living on a desert island. So, I say more power to you and enjoy the expedition.

13. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

I have too much of everything, but I when I play, 90% of the time it's a Music Man Valentine into a Tweed Champ, with a reverb pedal.

Well, I actually have a whole pedal board there, but only the reverb is on most of the time.

14. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

Go to GC, buy the 85$ Yamaha Classical...play it for two years straight everyday. I promise you will shred a tele without peer when you put it down.

15. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Nice looking rig.
    But you have more foot switches there than I have on both of my pedal boards combined (minus the tuner on each board).
    ;)

I applaud the efforts to simplify rigs in the pursuit of focusing on the music.

At home, I'll plug a Telecaster into my Mission 5E3 with only a delay pedal and my old Boss looper - and I can get lost for hours with that simple setup.
    On a gig, I like to have a few more options available, but it's all just a means to an end. Tools that help you reach your musical goals.

A single cable or a rack full of midi-switching noisemakers.....it's all good.

16. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Must be in the air. I've been playing my tele straight into my 5 watt tube amp for months now and it's more fun that way. Love that clean sound....

Route67 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.