One Gallon Glass Tea Jar with good Spigot

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cometazzi, Apr 18, 2020.

1. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Years and years ago, my coffee pot died. Normally I drink free coffee at work Mon-Fri but on the weekends, I make 'refrigerator tea'. This means filling an oldschool glass gallon jar with water, then adding 8 tea bags and putting it in the fridge. By the next morning, I have enough caffeine water for two days.

Today I unscrewed the spigot, removed it to hand-wash the jar, and then cracked the jar by tightening the spigot back up. It's donez0r.

Seems like the cheap and simple tea jars are all gone now, the only thing to buy are hoity-toity jars with special/fancy lids, chalkboard labels and super thick walls.

I just want a cheap and simple one gallon jar with a plastic lid and spigot hole. I can't find one to buy for the life of me. It's got to be 1 gallon, glass (not plastic), a spigot, and have a vented plastic lid or something other than a glass lid with a seal that you must defeat during dispensation. Also, something I can just put in the dishwasher as needed.

Anyone got a good line on something like this? I'm striking out.

2. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Man, we have one at the lake cottage we’ve had forever. I asked my wife where she got it just now and she said “oh I don’t know, it’s so old. Probably K-Mart or something”?

I haven’t researched it but would think if you venture to a big box store like Wally World or whatever or look online for “sun tea bottle or jug or container” you’ll find one. Ours has a plastic screw on lid and plastic spout and while it’s at least twenty years old I don’t put it in the dishwasher. Just hand wash the darned thing, and it sure doesn’t need a thorough washing every day. I just rinse it and start over until my wife finally decides enough is enough and gives a good hot water scrub.

Dishwashers aren’t great for some stuff.

DrPepper and Deeve like this.
  3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I remember everyone making "sun tea" on their front porch back in the '80s in jar that sounds like what you are describing.
    Maybe search for a sun tea jar.

Dang, now I want one too.

Edit:
    Well Stubee beat me, but yeah.

schmee likes this.
  4. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

Yeah I don’t like the ones with the spigot. Seems like every one I’ve ever bought leaked. I had a good one without a spigot but my son broke it several years ago and that basically the end of my sun tea days. Maybe I’ll try to find one this year and start back up again.

5. cometazzi

[​IMG]

For reference. I think I bought this at Shopko 15 years ago or more. You can't see the crack around the spigot in this picture.

6. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Amazon has several for tea and cold brew coffee.

7. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Meister

You drink your tea cold?!

Jeez....

trev333 likes this.
  8. cometazzi

Usually, yes. But not always. Cold black tea (without cream, with or without sugar depending on region) is pretty much the rule in the U.S.

schmee likes this.
  9. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I drink some iced tea in the summer when I get tired of plain old water, but I want to go on record as a born in the USA guy who drinks a cup of hot tea nearly every afternoon, year around. My mom liked it and I learned to enjoy it about sixty years ago. I believe it’s due to Mom’s English ancestors.

Jackroadkill likes this.
  10. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Meister

I drink tea like it's going out of fashion. At the moment it's probably about 12-14 cups per day.

11. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

You might improvise by buying spring water in one of the shelf jugs with a spout at the bottom and fill it with tea after using the water.

https://www.crystal-springs.com/bottled-water-products

You should probably look online at amazon, bed, bath & beyond, etsy, and kitchen and restaurant specialty places. Wal-mart has an online marketplace as well and you can get things shipped to a store.

12. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Hmm. On second thought I won’t post a link. Without trying them out I can’t vouch for any spigots.

13. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I saw a couple back when shopping for Christmas gifts. One at Target, and one at a store called TJ Maxx which I think is a chain. Might give you a couple more options to look at online.

Don't recall if the lids were vented, but you can always just loosen it a little.

14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Thermos with spigot? Do you need to see it?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.