1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

One for you Internet Savy Folks

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bender72, Sep 4, 2008.

1. bender72

bender72 Tele-Holic

I keep opening certain web pages and some images won't show?? Just a box with a red 'x'..... It only happens on my work computer and I've tried almost everything that 'microsoft' recommends, but still nothing, I've tried different browsers like FF, Netscape, and still nothing?? Is it my networks firewall or sump'n?? It doesn't happen when I'm browsing on other computers.....:confused:

2. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Probably your firewall. Some won't let you download images of a certian size or type.

3. bender72

bender72 Tele-Holic

RATS!!!!! Foiled again!!!:D

4. Southern Ill

Southern Ill Banned

My Yahoo homepage is doing this same thing.....A few other sites like Elderly.
    I tried to figure it out but no luck.I will try to adjust firewall settings.

5. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My work firewall/filter blocks photobucket, YouTube, Myspace, etc, and I get LOTS of the red "X" placeholders, even on eBay. I'd bet that your issue is something like that - your network has a filter blocking certain domains.

6. Capperdan

Capperdan Tele-Meister

I've had more than one computer tech advise to get rid of Norton... wonder if that's what your using?

7. geddins

geddins Friend of Leo's

These techs...they DID suggest another AV program to replace Norton, didn't they?

8. Axtklinge

Axtklinge Tele-Meister

I dont use Norton anymore but I remember having it on my pc, and not only the pc worked sgnificantly slower with it (as it was allways checking everything), but it gave me lots of problems on the web too.
    If you're using it as anti-virus, why dont you try out "AVG"?
    You can download it for free on the official website (link under) and you can allways buy it later if you like it and want all the gizmos.

http://free.avg.com/

9. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Tele-Meister

Chances are Active X isn't enabled/blocked/installed. Check that.

10. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Tele-Meister

Norton is the devil. I've been a computer tech since 95, it's an intrusive, bloated piece of garbage. Go with free AVG, if you like it, buy it. Not nearly as intrusive and doesn't take up all of those system resources.

11. Rif Raf

Rif Raf TDPRI Member

Yeah Norton sucks the big one. It is also very hard to uninstall off of your computer. It always leaves stuff behind that can cause problems. You have to go to the Norton website and download a special program to uninstall it.
    I am using Avast which is free along with Comodo firewall and my system is running great.

12. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

I used to work for a gaming PC company doing tech support; Norton System Works was the bane of our existence for a while.

Had one particular guy who called every 3 months or so with problem getting his computer to work - I can't remember the applications specifically, but essentially whenever he installed Norton his computer just plain stopped working. We'd go through removing every trace of it (a good 45 min to 1 hour process), get things straightened out, and tell him, "OK, just remember... THIS is why you NEVER want to install Norton again."

3 months later, he'd call back - we'd ask if he installed Norton as soon as he said who he was. Invariably, he copped to it and said, "I remember something about not installing it, but I couldn't remember why... so I installed it again."

:rolleyes:

13. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

+ 1,000,000

14. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

If you are having problem checking images with firefox try this:

Click Tools and Options, the click on Content and put a check in load images automatically and click ok and refresh site you are on and it should work. If not then yes it's more then likely your firewall or popup and image blocker which you'll need to change.

15. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

If you are still running some version of Windows, you must make sure that all appropriate plug-ins are available - Microsoft does not do this for you like Apple does.

It is unlikely that Norton A/V is the problem, though it is a horrible, horrible piece of junk. I agree that if you are stuck with Windows you should use a better product such as AVG.

More than likely your browser cannot determine the correct MIME types due to registry problems. Without more info (OS version, plug-ins, etc.) there isn't much more to say.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.