One Bourbon, One Scotch and One Beer

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by zimbo, Jun 15, 2014.

1. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

I was in a restaurant yesterday and the cook was singing this song as he worked. Afterwards he remarked that George Thorogood was coming to town and that he was so washed up.

I'd say he's anything but. This video has some pretty tasty flat picking.

2. jbuonacc

jbuonacc TDPRI Member

nice! i'm from Rochester as well, really looking forward to the show. based on some YouTube clips that i've seen, he seems like a pretty cool/nice guy.

honestly though, i grew up hearing George Thorogood's hits on 96.5 WCMF my whole life and he pretty much turned me off of "real/classic" Blues for a long time. i looked at him as a walking cliche for years, without realizing (or caring, unfortunately) exactly where he was coming from. listened to Zeppelin, Stones, Clapton, etc all my life and somehow never heard their influences. early last year i stumbled upon R.L. Burnside, which led me to checking out Robert Johnson, Howlin' Wolf, Elmore James, John Lee Hooker, and all the classic artists. needless to say, it was a life-changing revelation and suddenly George Thorogood made perfect sense.

3. LeroyBlues

LeroyBlues Tele-Holic

I'm a John Lee Hooker fan, and this is one of my favorites. I've been playing a version of it for years now. Hooker's has more than one version of the song, as does Thorogood. I mix it all up and toss in my own bits. Fun song.

4. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

I saw Mr. Thorogood live in the early seventies in a bar and he did what he has always done very well and worked very hard to do it. He got the place hoppin'.

5. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

He's going to be playing a free outdoor concert in Rochester for the Jazz Festival. This date is not shown on his website but here it is:

June 28, 9 pm
    City of Rochester East Ave. & Chestnut St. Stage

I'm not going to miss this one!

6. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

Rochester guy here too...

Perhaps a Rochester TDPRI get together this summer would be a possibility?

The last one at the Cottage Hotel was pretty fun, and there was some tasty twang going on.

~syf

7. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

SYF, I hitchhiked from Boston to Rochester in '77 to see the Dead, now Dick's Picks 34. Great show.

Gorgeous George rules!

8. strateles

strateles Tele-Holic

I saw Thorogood in Raleigh a couple months ago, he was FAR from washed up, he did a great show. Playing was spot on, voice was spot on, and he was all over the stage and kept the crowd interacting the whole time. I would say FAR from washed up.

9. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

More Rochester people than I would have thought....lol...

10. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I never tire of listening to this guy

11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I went to see Lonesome George some years back..
    I've been a huge fan for a very long time. But ,I do believe his best years at putting on a show are behind him at this point.

12. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

He ain't washed up, he's a friggin' awesome force!

13. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I saw George back in the mid 70's . it was his first ever Australian show, the boys hadn't long got off the plane..
    It was at the St Lucia Uni hall in Brisso, scene of some memorable "alt" shows back then run by FM radio 4ZZZ...

We had been listening to the LP with one bourbon, madison blues, etc and were keen to see him..

The show went well, he played all his tunes with gusto with a few back stories between songs...
    after the final encore the crowd started to disperse ...though, I hung around for a while chatting to friends after the lights came on and it cleared out a bit....

after about 20 mins... George wanders back out on the stage has a look around at the 50 of so people milling around...
    You guy's still here?.. OK then..you want to hear some music, we're wired we can't go to sleep now after such a big flight/day.... I'll get the band back out, I want to play some more...
    He went back stage came out with the boys , switched all the gear back on and played another half an hour set..... for the few of us.... Unreal... :)

I had friends who heard it from the carpark and didn't come back thinking someone put the LP on.... ha ha.. suckers...

Thanks for the extra show George, memorable... :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.