One and only son done flown the coop

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by roadkillbill, Aug 17, 2006.

1. roadkillbill

roadkillbill Tele-Holic

Man, what an empty feelin'....Dropped my son off at his college dorm yesterday amid a pile of computer stuff and clothes, and headed home.

I can't believe how quickly 18 years has gone by. I'm glad I made the most of it, but I sure hate to see it end.. .

But my question is, is it too early to turn his room into my new studio?

Just kidding. I'm really gonna miss having him around all the time, and I've loved every minute of it....:cry:

2. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

Don't rush the studio.
    You have about 5-6 years to remodel.
    Then he'll be back after not being able to find a job with that art history/interior design double major.;)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  3. 51mike

51mike Tele-Holic

You could sell your home and not tell him.

No, that's mean. I'd wait a while on the studio though. All of mine came back at some point for a couple years.

remember, they're not gone until they get all their stuff out.

4. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

going thru that too

our one-and-only son left for Alaska in May; maybe he's coming back in September, but chances are he'll keep tumbleweeding around. We miss him a lot. He used to work with me (my house-painting business), now I work alone all day every day. He drove me nuts when he was there, now he'd driving me nuts when he's not there. I was thinking about him today 'cause I had some work that he could've done just great and save me a lot of trouble, too. On the other hand, he emailed once and said he's lovin' it up there, so that's good.

5. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Ha ha! Best post ever!

roadkillbill, I feel your pain. My daughter's quickly coming up on college age, and I have 2 wonderful stepchildren who have already flown the coup. We see them pretty often, but I still miss the everyday family time. I'm glad to hear you made the most of it, because it DOES go by fast.

6. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

Darn kids! ;)

7. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

Just want to say I'm right there w/you guys: I'm taking the World's Greatest Daughter off to college for the first time later today. :( I'm really proud of her, but... Huh? Wha? How'd that go by so fast? :confused: Talk about mixed emotions... sheesh. CS

8. odiemann

odiemann Tele-Afflicted

I am learning

My son is only three and I already feel like I am in a battle to keep up with time. Those of you with college-aged kids (whether they go to college or not makes no difference to me)I applaud the job you have done, and hope to make it there with a good relationship intact.

9. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

my 3 boys are all married w/ kids of their own.....
    funny thing though.....
    there's a point in time where it seems that they already know everything,
    but the ol' man keeps gettin' smarter as time goes by.....
    ;-)

10. Poppatwang

Poppatwang Friend of Leo's

That college drop-off is rough. My boy's graduated now & just moved to
    Seattle to join the working world. I kept his room up until he moved away.
    Now it's a rasslin' match w/ the wife over what it turns into. I'm thinkin'
    guitar shrine.

11. roadkillbill

roadkillbill Tele-Holic

"He drove me nuts when he was there, now he's driving me nuts when he's not there."

Thanks to Jhundt for that beaut of a quote--that about sums it all up-- and thanks to all of you for your thoughts..

(And Chris..I don't know WHAT I'd do if I had a girl going off to some dorm. ...go back to school, I guess...)

12. swooda

swooda Tele-Holic

I dropped my daughter off last monday and I have to drive a couple of hundred miles to my sons' orientation next monday. I still have my youngest son at home for a while, he's a high school freshman.

Although I'm a little sad about the situation my bank account's a lot sadder. Putting one kid through college these days is not cheap much less two. At least my son got an academic schoolarship but they'll be no new guitars around here for a while.

13. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    This time next year next year I'm (hopefully) going to University (what you know as College).
    So I'm in the opposite position to you guys, hopefully I'll be studying either Music Technology or Music Performance (on Guitar). =)

14. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

I'd remodel his room so that when he comes back to visit, he's aware that he's "visiting". Sleeping on a couch serves as a potent reminder of the temporary nature of such arrangements.

15. Booman

Booman Tele-Holic

I'm almost there Road, My only son starts his senior year at De La Salle (Concord CA) High Monday. I'm already feeling a little lost. I think I may take it worse than his Mom. What is up with that? Hang tough and tell us how you're coping.

B

16. soma5

soma5 Tele-Holic

My son is graduated from college but my daughter is about to start. I take her to school half a continent away in a little more than a week. Speaking of going back to school, I decided that I'd teach some classes this fall at the university after a break of about 20 years doing other things. Think I'm already missing my kids? :rolleyes: I hope I can cut it after all these years, especially the years spent playing music full-time. :eek:

17. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Our only son started university last year and it was pretty hard for me when he went, even though we'd spent years bickering. My wife works thru the week and for the last several years I gigged weekends and basically was a house husband weekdays...so I was the one dealing with raising him and getting him to and from school and stuff. So it was more of a change for me than most.
    This summer I got the both of us jobs as golf caddies at a fairly prestigious course on the coast near here so we've been a father/son caddy team much of the time. Great fun, but next month when he goes off again it's going to be hard. But I'm hopefully starting a job as a school bus driver so that will distract me. Between that and the music I'll hopefully be too busy to mope.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.