one amp, two instruments? (guitar and bass)

100LL

Tele-Meister
I‘ve got two young rockers and one of them is going to pick up the bass. I was thinking about perhaps a single amp with 2 channels that they could both plug into. Kind of a keep it simple thing.

Possible? Recommendations?

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Peavey TKO 115 should be about a hundred bucks on Craigslist. You can also look for a Peavey KB300 for bass, it'll definitely get the job done.

100LL

Tele-Meister
thanks, will do. probably turn the current guitar amp into the bass amo and look for a better modeling or ss.

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
What's the current guitar amp?

Consider a closed-back or ported speaker cabinet if it doesn't already have one. Playing bass through an open-backed combo amp sounds bad and will destroy the speaker.

Plenty of guitar amps can work for bass, but they need to be paired with a speaker cabinet able to reproduce the frequencies.

PhredE

Tele-Afflicted
Plenty of guitar amps can work for bass, but they need to be paired with a speaker cabinet able to reproduce the frequencies.
^That for sure.

There are *some* speakers that can work pretty well for guitar AND bass, but they are not typical 'guitar' speakers. They have to be capable of reproducing frequencies down to around bass Low E -- about 41Hz. Almost no guitar speakers can do that safely.
There are some PA type woofers/full range speakers that span the frequency range of 40Hz-4000Hz or so that can safely reproduce bass and guitar range and sound reasonably good. Adding powerful EQ upstream for guitar is very desirable and some might say necessary.

Last edited:

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Products along the lines of the Laney Audiohub can do it, but for rock guitar, it'll sound rather tepid without a pedal along the lines of the Tech 21/Joyo amp-inna-box. Great for clean playing, or doing the 'lifting' via the XLR inputs.
For the price of domestic, if not musical, harmony, get 'em an amp each. Pawn shop Peaveys will work all day long.

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
No. The two instruments try to push the speaker cone different shapes and directions at the same time. It sounds like crap. I know because we used to do it in the old days on Fender amps.

This.

Don't convert the guitar amp into a bass amp; I don't think that makes sense. A Peavey Micro Bass has simple circuitry, great tone and can be had used for like $75. A used Ampeg BA-110 or even BA-108 is another great option. They're tough, simple, and it's hard to get a bad tone out of them.

kbold

Friend of Leo's
Get a 2 channel bass amp.
Don't get a guitar amp and try to run a bass through it: bass won't sound good and may damage the speakers.

J-bass&Tele

Tele-Meister
It's easier to make a bass amp sound decent for guitar than the other way around. Especially in the sub-100€$£ range.
Once they start playing together, the bass player is gonna need more power than the guitarist. Even if we're talking Microcube (3W for guitar) vs my Fender Rumble 15W (for bass). The Rumble runs out of steam before the Microcube does.
Both can be had used for ~40 bucks.

100LL

Tele-Meister
Follow-up question. I happen to have a Fender Extension Cab (closed back) with a single 12" Eminence Legend 1258 in it. The cab gets very little use as I usually play either through my princeton or headphones.

Would that be an acceptable solution for the bass? If so, what heads (budget class) would make a good choice?

PhredE

Tele-Afflicted
Emi Legend 1258 Specs:

80Hz-4000Hz freq range., 75W speaker, 100db
(Low E on guitar is 82Hz; Low E on bass is 41Hz)
You could play bass through it ever so gingerly with modest volume, but really you need a bass or heavier duty speaker for the low-end.

This would be a much better choice (can double for guitar, as it's range is 44hz-4000hz), 450W speaker, 96db
Edit: Plus, you'd never be able to blow it even if you tried(!)

Last edited:

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
If the Fender extension speaker cabinet isn't closed-back, don't bother putting a different speaker in it. Open backed cabinets do not work for bass.

If you can find a Vox MV50 amp, those sound beautiful for a hundred and change (I just bought one for $130). That amp + the Fender ext. cab with the Emi Legend would be a great guitar setup that gigging musicians would be totally fine gigging with.

Do you have a particular opposition to that TKO I linked to? (No affiliation, I just love functional stuff that's less than a C-note) Too big? Too heavy? It's a 4-hour round trip from you? Because you could do worse for more money in terms of a bass amp.

100LL

Tele-Meister
I sent the guy an email on the TKO, haven’t heard back yet. It certainly appears on the large size but I could probably manage that.

If that doesn’t work out maybe I’ll replace the 12“ speaker on my closed back cab and search for a bass head.

zhyla

Tele-Meister
No. The two instruments try to push the speaker cone different shapes and directions at the same time. It sounds like crap. I know because we used to do it in the old days on Fender amps.
This isn't actually true. Guitar amps make terrible bass amps, but there's no issue with combining signal from multiple instruments.

Singin' Dave

Friend of Leo's
I agree the way to go here is two separate used inexpensive Peavey type amps, each designed for the instrument they serve. Would think a 10-15w guitar amp and even as small as 40w bass amp should do it for now.