One amp to do it all.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jesse1973, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Jesse1973

Jesse1973 TDPRI Member

Wasn’t a joke at all.I want to start taking guitar lessons.I have been burned in the pass with other interest cheaping out with gear.I would rather have one amp that would be able to be use for my musical interests instead of multiple amps.I have my guitar already.Plus I am limited on space.I just wanted options.Thought I would come to a place with people who have more experience than me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Sean Mac

Sean Mac Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I have a '63 AC30.

Sold a Mesa Boogie shortly after I got the Vox.

The AC30 and a few little boxes really does do it all :)

41144 likes this.
  3. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, there's an awful lot of amp in that box. Covers an astounding amount of territory. I've had several Mesas, and currently have four. The Mark V is my favorite.

4. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Another vote for the Mark V. It’s not really my jam, but I can’t think of another tube amp that covers such a wide range of tones.

5. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

In terms of gain, some of the Fender Brownface amps of the early '60s had a whole lot on tap. They still pull off the Fender-y Blackface tones, but have a midrange quality that produces a Tweed, Plexi-ish color when set up in such a way. Not nearly the most versatile amp of all time, but it covers most Fender or Marshall tones you could ask for and are perfect in everything from jazz to country to rock and blues.

If you are just starting out with guitar, go cheap. Modeling Amps such as the Mustang, Vox VT40x, and Boss Katana offer lots of options so you can figure out what you like before you go out and get a 'real rig' further down the line. If I were back in that same boat, I would have gone for the Fender Frontman 15G. It's not particularly versatile, but it costs only $50 and some very passable tones can be coaxed out of it. It was loud enough to keep up with an entire jazz ensemble with 2 guitarists and a bass player. Some may disagree with my assessment, but I can dig it.

Besides, if it's good enough for Joe Walsh, it's good enough for me. ;)

EDIT: I didn't see that you were looking in the $1500 range. What's $1450 difference anyway? A guitar amp is a guitar amp. :lol:

Tim S likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm thinking by "eyeball melting high gain" you want more modern and less vintage dirt, so I'd look at the Mesa Rectifier series as well as the Boogies.
    Later Marshalls have modern high gain and clean channels too, and are on the floor of every GC.

Because there are so many amps that fit your description, it would help a lot to narrow down what clean sounds and what high gain sounds you like.

For example, scooped mids Fender cleans?
    Fat mids Marshall / Hiwatt cleans?
    Vox cleans AKA chimy?

Then face melting high gain.

Metal high gain like the scooped mids fizzy sound?
    Vintage modded Marshall liquid sustain isn't really called high gain but that might be what you mean.
    Later modded Marshall/ Soldano etc style buzzy high gain?
    Dumble distortion is more likely not recognizable as rock star amp stacks we see, but it is all over popular recordings.

Maybe watch some gear demos, these guys act nutty but provide good info.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  7. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I concur with the Orange suggestions. I used to think they were too muddy sounding but later discovered it was my cabinet and speaker selection that was causing issues. I have a Brent Hinds Terror and it’s got very lush cleans and amazing high gain. I have played the Rockerverb 50 and am currently saving up for that one. As also pointed out the TH-30 is also grand.

I like Mesa sounds as well but from a practical standpoint I find the complexity so high that dialing in a particular tone requires a learning curve I’ve never wanted to put a lot of effort into. It’s the only amp I’ve played in a shop where I had to ask the sales guy “how do you make it make noise??” Maybe I’m just old and stupid but I’m not really old and I think having that many switches and buttons loses something in the versatility. I do love the tones.

Hughes and Kettner has very nice cleans and high gain as does the Egnater Tweaker.

If you’re a purist then you probably won’t be satisfied with any clean tone other than a Fender or a Vox (or whatever your favorite classic amp is) and will want a separate amp for dirt.

8. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

That’s not funny sometimes you need that little extra bit

9. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

10. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

Any amp with a bunch of pedals in front of it.

11. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I'm a big fan of Blackstar. The MKII HT20 is one of the best amps I've owned. But I still vote for my Hughes and Kettner Tubemiester 36 as my one amp

schenkadere likes this.
  12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

If you want something that impresses out of the gate, is truly versatile, will grow with you from home practice to a career of gigs, the Marshall DS40CR is about the best value out there without stumping up for Mesa gear.

The optional 6 button switch (must have) gives you control of: all 4 channels - clean, dirty, high gain and ultra high gain, two master volumes for differentiating backing from solos and an fx loop switch for future adventures in delays, etc. The crunch channel is superb and works great with the guitar volume control. I do most gigs just on that channel.

Got an emulated out for recording which is knock out to. Will be using mine tonight with reinforcement through the PA with it. No mic needed.

Save the rest for a tuner and a delay pedal. You will be ready for 99% of stuff you might want to do.

Bristlehound and 7171551 like this.
  13. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

That's not an amp. That's a moped.

Someone steals the pedals off your moped, you be walkin'.

Treynor likes this.
  14. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Mesa Mark V 25 gets very close to what you want

15. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I have the Express 5:50 plus with graphic equalizer, great all around amp !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7171551 likes this.
  16. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I had an original 5:25 110 model and stupidly sold it. Still kick myself. Extremely versatile with duplicated controls per channel. Not quite metal - and the contour function was brilliant for solo boosts

Owenmoney likes this.
  17. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

I own the DSL40CR as well but still waiting on the availability of the (pedl-91016) footswitch.

18. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I really like my AC15C2 twin is magnificent.

19. dsouza

dsouza TDPRI Member

My ac10c1 does clean to dirty extremely well. It’s the best vox I’ve ever owned and I’ve had ac4tv, ac4c1, ac15. Ac10 does bedroom to nightclub! Can’t go wrong with vox. Even a lowly ac4tv has an attenuator that does dirty at 1/4 watt for the home.

Also I don’t own one but the blackstar’s have impressive clean to dirty sounds even without pedals or effects.

www.youtube.com/u2adrian1000

20. Cerb

Cerb Tele-Meister

Does it have to have tubes in it? :whistling:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.