One A Day vitamins for 65+

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, May 27, 2020.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I heard those hard pills don't really dissolve and just come flying out yo arse like a bullet. I heard a guy giving a talk about that - he had a friend who owned a portable outhouse company and they'd pump the sewage through a screen mesh to remove solid debris like rocks that kids would throw into the outhouses, and that screen would be loaded with vitamin pills.

2. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Here's what I take...

15667.jpeg

(Picture is 3 years old, there's been some expansion since then)

4. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I have a feeling that these pills are only rarely taken outside of the US (I can't think of anyone I know who uses them).
    I think I've read that they're mostly useless, and in the case of certain vitamins like A or D, potentially harmful.

Think about this example: Astronaut food is one of the most scientifically studied diets ever, as they have to take everything they need with them to stay healthy for months at a time. The only supplement the take is vitamin D to compensate for their lack of sunshine. Everything else comes from their food, which has everything the human body needs.
    On the Earth, with access to fresh food and sunshine, there is hardly any reason to take extra pills.

Milspec likes this.
  5. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm not an expert, but...when I was being treated for prostate cancer (I'm fine now, thanks), I spent some time with a book recommended by the lead Urologist at Balboa Naval Hospital: The ABC's of Nutrition and Supplements for Prostate Cancer by Moyad. It led me back from a path of lots of daily supplements. Now my daily use includes a generic 50+ Adult Silver multi-vitamin, Glucosamine Chondroitin (twice daily), and a 500mg Vit C. What works for me may not work for you. My 85yo mom-in-law uses an odd mix of supplements and is healthy as a horse...research it for yourself.

6. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

No, daily multi's aren't recommended here in the UK either. Vitamin D is recommended (by the NHS) for people that are house bound and possibly during winter months, folic acid for pregnant mum's and maybe a couple of other specific things/circumstances. I don't want to get on the case of my American cousins but it feels like 90% of the population are taking something for something and swallowing a handful of pills every day and that doesn't make me feel good.

Milspec likes this.
  7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

They stolded your idea.
    For the One a Day gummies I take, the recommended dosage is actually two a day.

Where's the truth in advertising??? I tells ya

TheGoodTexan and rangercaster like this.
  8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I did but stopped.

A couple docs I know said it was all Hooey.

I may revisit again

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  9. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been having blood and urine tests done for the last 5 yrs as well as other tests as post cancer monitoring. Each time I'm at the doctors going through the results he hasn't found any abnormalities or deficiencies in the tests to even suggest any supplements...

never been mentioned...

10. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like C, E, B12... 20200528_075159.jpg

This is my B12 ..
    41,667 % RDA ...

11. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I buy a different brand and type every time that I need to buy vitamins .

12. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If you are deficient in B12, you or the people around you will know that something is wrong, because you’ll show signs of dementia. You’ll develop pernicious anemia. I get a B12 injection every two weeks, because I don’t absorb it from my diet.

But my other vitamin levels are just fine.

13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

uriah1 likes this.
  14. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I had a cracked scaphoid after a small 130 MPH issue . The girlfriend of one of the guys that I played volleyball with told me that she works for a bone doctor and she shared with me something that she claimed no doctor would ever divulge to me . Take a good multivitamin every day so your body can have what it needs to heal itself . The scaphoid bone can be a real bugger , so I followed her advice . I can't say that it helped , but it surely did no harm . That bone had knitted in 6 weeks and the doctor still didn't want to commit to what clearly showed on the X-ray . I continued taking the vitamins until they were gone and never looked back . Should I find myself in a similar situation again , I have no doubt that I will start the vitamins again . Until then , I will try to eat right and have that suffice as it has for this long . There are situations where absorption is a real issue and require supplementation . These situations should not be ignored and should be taken seriously . When it comes to vitamins , your body will absorb what it wants and pass the remainder , whatever that may be and regardless of the source .

15. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

I take the One-A-Day 65+ and Probiotics.

vite.jpg

16. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I should revisit. I do think that in special cases it may be warranted.
    I am no doc. lol
    But I play one on TV...lol

17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

You just need to go see a doctor or chiropractor who's pushing their side vitamin multi-level marketing scheme/business.

18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Getting all your nutrients from diet/getting blood tests done ?

If you eat a ton of chunk white/solid/albacore tuna - get a mercury blood test done.

5 yrs ago I was eating kale/tuna/vegetable salads 5x a week .

told my doctor so at my physical they also screened for mercury and - 3x higher than it should have been !

so - I eliminated that :lol:

This breaks it down nicely

https://www.edf.org/oceans/mercury-alert-canned-tuna-safe

stormsedge likes this.
  19. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

"A couple docs I know said it was all Hooey."

I'm seeing a huge hole in the market. I'll be RICH!

[​IMG]

20. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

This is the best bet I've found. But get it at TJ's if you can, the prices on amazon for it are 3 or 4 x the in-store price at TJ's. Throw in an extra couple of vitamin D with it every day and you'll be good to go. If you live a stress free life (including no smoke, no alcohol, no sweets, no caffeine) you can even break them in half and get plenty of everything.
    [​IMG]

Mike Eskimo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.