1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

one 6L6 in place of two 6V6 - no good ?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by joshcamp, Aug 20, 2010.

1. joshcamp

joshcamp TDPRI Member

Just wondering if i can use a single 6L6 tube in place of the two 6V6 tubes i have in my 5E3 amp.... i don't believe the amp is set up to handle two 6L6 tubes so i thought maybe a single 6L6 would be ok... can this be done without damaging anything ? would it sound good ?

2. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Just exactly what are you tryin' to do and why??

3. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I don't think that will work - your amp is a push-pull type amp, and what you are describing would be a single ended type amp (like a Champ).

With some mods, you might be able to run two 6L6's - you need to check with whoever made your 5E3 or provided the kit.

4. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I've tried running 6L6s in a 5E3 a couple of times. Just doesn't have the magic you get with a good set of 6V6s.

5. SnorkelMonkey

SnorkelMonkey Tele-Holic

Not possible without swapping the output transformer for a single ended OT. You could run two 6L6's if there is enough current on tap to handle them but as TNO said a good set of 6V6's win hands down in the tone dept ymmv. ;)

6. joshcamp

joshcamp TDPRI Member

thanks for the replies ! I was just curious as to why i could or couldn't try it. the push-pull vs. single ended response makes sense to me - i hadn't thought about that aspect to it.

7. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

Don't tell Neil Young! He's been suffering with that same terrible tone for decades!

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

And.....don't tell some fellow over in England. HE runs a single power tube in push/pull amps! He has articles explaining the situation. I am not saying I agree with him, but he lays it out for qurstioning. You might find the articles with a diligent search on the 'net. The subject was brought up on some forum about 3 years ago.
    Also, I'll play devil's advocate and note that there is a way to change two wires on that OT primary and have a single-ended OT. The question is whether or not the impedances are a good match.

simple answer from me to the question is...no, I would not suggest that one simply pull 2 6V6's and put in one 6L6....unless of course you like some really nasty sonics....basically non-musical to most of us. YMMV. (;^) Som folks have slashed speakers to get nasty sounds.
    AS Ginger BAker sang...
    "Do what you like, do what you like"

9. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

A single-ended amp will never have the sweet compression and overdrive of a 5E3.

10. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

If I'm thinking right, if the amp is biased class A, it will operate, you might have to change the bypass resistor to keep from red-plating the single tube.

I forgot to run the jumper wire to the second power tube socket on a 5E3 build a few years back.... Sounded great, but was way down on power compared to my others, it didn't hurt a thing.

I've heard that it does do something magnetically to the OT, but a few minutes of normal operating brings the OT back to norm.

Bruce Collins told me once that they use to do all kinds of crazy things to Deluxes in the studios back in the day... running one power tube was one thing he mentioned, but he did some mods to the unused socket.

Also, rewiring the pp OT to SE will drastically change the primary impedance...it might sound good though with the right speaker match.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.