1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

One 2X12 or two 1X12s and why.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JustABluesGuy, Mar 1, 2017.

1. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

I have both a 1X12 cab (and am thinking about adding another) and a 2x12 and was wondering what others prefer.

The 212 is scavenged from a broken amp, and its made with particle board and speakers that would need to be replaced.

I'm not sure I want to even waste time on it. I already have a 1x12 and wonder what others prefer. Separate cabs or two speakers in one, and why.

My question is mostly about tone. 2 1x will be more flexible, but which setup would sound best?

2. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

I believe that the 212 together would give you more bottom.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Two 1 x 12"s. Why? Weight.

I built a 1 x 12" cabinet and if I want more spread and the tonal quality of a second speaker I bring that along too. Plus you can spread them out rather than have the two right next to each other; point one right at yourself if you want.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    JustABluesGuy and Alex W like this.
  4. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer 1x12 cabinets myself... lighter to move, more versatile in placement, option to use just one, etc...

5. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Afflicted

I prefer two 12" cabs, to put one on each side of the stage and so my drummer hears all.

Bob M and JustABluesGuy like this.
  6. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

Two separate 1x12 cabs for convenience, flexibility, and more spread.

7. JustABluesGuy

That was my thought as well. Flexibility. Use one or both. Spread them for wet dry, or even stereo.

Thanks for the feedback.

8. JustABluesGuy

I'm thinking the same thing. I didn't want to waste the 2x12 cab, but it's particle board and won't be as flexible.

Thanks.

9. JustABluesGuy

Do you think that's because they "reinforce" each other being in the same cab? What about open back cabs? Will they still offer more bottom that way.

I'm not bass shy as it is though, so that isn't a huge concern.

10. JustABluesGuy

Thanks for the feedback. That is what I am thinking as well. I'm really trying to decide if a 212 offers any "tonal" advantages.

The greater flexibility of two 112's is pretty clear.

11. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Different cabinets can sound different due to different dimensions, porting, materials, etc. Can't generalize in that area, it is design specific.

The other thing that matters is acoustic coupling, two cones close together on the same baffle. Look at what an Ampeg SVT cab does with eight tens. They sort of behave acoustically like one big cone.

The good news is you do not give up anything with two 1X12 cabs. Just stack them or put them together side-by-side.

BTW, I gigged in the 70's with a BF Bandmaster and two of the small matching 2X12 cabs. Very practical, no way I could have hauled a 4X12 but the two 2X12's were easy.

12. JustABluesGuy

Yeah. That's the plan now. I was hoping to salvage something out of that amp. At this point I think I will just offer it up for $50 or best offer, local pickup only.

That, or just set it on the curb a day or two before heavy trash pickup and hope a flea market scavenger will grab it.

Then start looking at options for another 1x cab.

13. UsernameTaken

UsernameTaken The Smooth and the Fast

2 - 1x12

Easier and more config options.

14. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I like 1-12 cabinets, but I think a 2-12 sounds bigger.

I built a couple matching 1-12 semi open back cabinets, honestly I couldn't tell much difference using just one or both of them with a Hinson Z28 type amp head.

In comparison before I built the 1-12 cabinets, I had an Avatar semi open 2-12 cabinet and it sounded huge, much louder and bigger sounding, but it was a heavy cabinet.

All the cabinets had Celestion V30s.

15. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

careful with the ohms

if your amp wants 4 ohms, give it two 8 ohm speakers -- don't think cool beans I can show it a single 8 ohm

viccortes285 likes this.
  16. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I run a pair of sealed back/front ported 1x12s with my Boogie head. They actually have a more solid low end than my Recto 2x12.

17. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

What's wrong with just one 12"? Less weight, less trips, less room to take up in the vehicle, one less thing to hook up. If the cab is built good and you got a speaker you like, just a matter of putting a mic on it if you need more spread in monitors or FOH, you can put it on a stand or chair, etc.

Yes, 2x12"s give you more, but at this point, me personally, I'm sick of hauling anything I don't have to or anything that's heavy or an extra trip just sucks going down stairs and elevators and on golf-carts, i just want to trim it to grab and go as much as possible.

I got a bunch of in-case-?-happens gear ready if I need it, but I just want life to be more simple and I'll live with whatever I might be missing.

Tootle and JustABluesGuy like this.
  18. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I think if you're playing a venue that you've played before, you already know if you need one 1x12 or two. You could always leave one in the trunk.

Assuming all cabinets are of good design and construction with the same speakers, or not, there may be detectable differences between two 1x12's next to each other vs. a 2x12. To the extent that it really matters, probably not a big deal. Having the versatility wins out to me.

19. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

I don't think an open-backed 2x12 former combo amp offers you anything you aren't getting with a 1x12. A sealed or ported 2x12 has a sound I don't think you can get with only one speaker, but then again, you can arrange 2 separate 1x12s for an overall sound that would not be possible with a single cabinet of any size or design.

20. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I think you really do get some extra "balls" from the two speakers in the same cab, ( I have a 2/12 and a 1/12) but two cabs does make sense.

Bob M, viccortes285 and JustABluesGuy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.