Once and for all-someone tell me what amp I need.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by christhee68, Dec 30, 2014.

1. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

I've been thinking about getting a new amp lately. Currently I have a Mustang II, which seems fine, but I know there is "something more" out there in tone land.

I have just started playing gigs in public--bars, restaurants, small clubs, etc. So far I have not had to mic my amp. The only thing in the PA are vocals and my acoustic guitar, and sometimes electronic drums if it's a small place where acoustic drums would be too loud.

I'm basically a strummer/rhythm player. I play acoustic on about half the songs (into the PA) and my MIM Tele on the rest. We cover mostly country and classic rock, with a few classics (Elvis, etc.) for fun. I basically use only 2 tones--one clean and one with a little crunch, not that I'm opposed to other tones. I rarely take a solo, but hopefully that will change at some point.

I currently use no pedals.

The amps I've been considering are:
    Fender Mustang III
    Fender Superchamp XD (or X2--what's the difference?)
    Fender Blues Jr
    Peavey Classic 30

I'm hoping to buy used.

I know, I know--"Try them and buy the one you like best." But I'd like some input from the experts on the interwebs before I spend months or years trying out different amps everywhere I go.

2. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

Of all the choices on your list, I'd say the Classic 30 is the best. But for a few bucks more you could find a used PRRI or maybe a DRRI which are better amps than any of the ones you listed. IMHO

3. willpayne

willpayne TDPRI Member

I'd 2nd Johnny. Classic 30 sounds like the best one on the list for the price. But a Deluxe Reverb is where it's at. Blues Jr. will sound too muddy IMO.

4. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Sorry to say, but sounds like the Mustang is pretty much perfect for what you're doing! If you want something 'nicer' a DRRI would be a great addition, but may have to add an OD pedal to get the crunch part down. Seems like you can't really go wrong with a DRRI, especially for the music you're playing or step up to a Mustang III.

5. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a Super Champ XD and in the past owned several of the Peavey Classics, including the 30. Of your list I will throw in on the Classic 30 as well. I also agree with the guys suggesting a bit larger Fender amp, but that is what I like to hear at this point.

6. TeleV

TeleV Tele-Holic

A used PRRI or DRRI whichever you find first

7. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

well I don't agree based on what he is asking. A C30 fits the bill over a DRRI or PRRI . The next would be a Bjr..perhaps, but the C30 probably in the same price range offers so much more. If you can locate a Delta Blues 2x10, grab it, as it comes with tremelo. Same chassis as the C 30.

8. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Classic 30.

9. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The Classic 30 is the most appropriate from your list. I would recommend that you don't get an amp that is less than 30 watts for gigging. Eventually, you will be unhappy with the lack of clean headroom, especially for playing rhythm.
    I suggest looking for a Silverface Vibrolux, or maybe check out the new Fender 68 Custom Vibrolux. A Peavey Delta Blues would also be a good choice.

10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Once and for all???? You are going to hit a home run on your first at bat??? Good on ya!! I am supportive..but doubtful. OF what you list, the Classic 30 or the Blues Jr with a proper set-up. Those will work....
    IF I thought some advice would get you there 'once and for all'...which I don't--(;^)...I say find a SF Princeton Reverb...or a Rivera era Princeton Rev II or DRII or a real Super Champ...but those are not on your list. Better amps...more versatile..real tube reverb....built to last....and they cost more...and they will be worth more in the future, ime.

11. ExiledonMainSt

ExiledonMainSt Tele-Meister

I think a Classic 30 will be just fine for what you're asking. The Classic 30 sounds good, is bulletproof, easy-to-carry, and if you get it used in decent shape, you'll have no problem getting your initial investment of ≈ $300-350 back for it if/when you do decide to upgrade to, say, a SF Vibrolux.

12. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the input. Suggestions don't have to be from the list...those are just the ones I've researched so far and seemed to suit my needs in one way or another.

13. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

If you happy with your sound stay with it. Always looks greener on the other side of the hill. If, not ... Classic 30

14. vangoghsear

vangoghsear Tele-Meister

Traynor YCV40 used about 350-400, new about $750. Two channels + drive boost, nice Fendery clean, 40 watts, very quiet hum resistant circuitry, great build quality. Some people like the drive better than the Fender Hot Rod Series amps, which they were built to compete with.

15. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

Classic 30 gets my vote. It can handle any gig situation you can book

16. backline

backline Tele-Afflicted

These are highly underrated amps.
    The C30.....what can you say...they have sold a Million of them for a reason.
    You might like your Mustang more with a speaker upgrade from Eminence or WGS.....while you keep an eye out for a used
    Traynor
    PV
    one of several Fenders
    etc etc etc

Rare, indeed, is the guitar player that has not bought 5-30 amps over a period of 10-20 years.
    I would not be too focused on purchasing your "last" amp just yet.:)
    good luck

17. Ike286

Ike286 Tele-Holic

Marshall 18w 1974x's or clones are great with teles and great for small gigs. They break up nice and are extremely touch sensitive. Out of your list, probably the peavey is your best bet, but I would wonder if you just need to get the mustang set right, I've heard of guys who dont use anything but their mustang.

18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

+1 on a deluxe. Another guitarist in a band I play with has one. Solid working amp.

But you could invest in something more versatile like a 2nd hand Boogie Mark Series or a Lonestar if you want to extend your lead playing, great amps that grow with you. Real keepers IMHO. Can emulate most others. Love mine with my Tele.

19. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I own and love my Fender SCX2 and the difference between the X2 and the XD, from what I understand, is the USB port to plug into your computer to tweak the voices and effects, the mids and virtual sag. On channel 2, I added a Compressor effect on all the modeling voices. I have the head unit and use a 12 inch speaker cab.[​IMG]

20. jwp2

jwp2 Tele-Holic

Get the classic 30 and call it good!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.