On what have you changed your mind over the years?

roeg

Tele-Meister
Change of mind?...that i would ever play anything other than a Les Paul, after over 30 years.The first time i took my American Deluxe to a band jam...and cranked out the sustain and distortion through a Marshall, my buds looked at me in disbelief. I still sounded like i was playing a Les Paul.

The look on their faces was ...huh? A Tele sound like a Les Paul? The many faces of a Telecaster.:cool:

Last edited:

oatsoda

Tele-Holic
I use to think more volume, more instruments, more pedals, equaled more music, but I found out that a simple melody that a thousand people hum to themselves is more powerful than a wall of sound that rattles A few windows.

Use to think it was possible for things to get better with little or no effort.

I use to think that making the right choice meant nobody would hurt, but in real life somebody or something is always going to hurt.

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I don't even know where to begin! So much has changed.
I used to swear by:
Marshall Amps
Brass Bridge plates
Humbuckers
24 fret necks
Pentatonic minor rock scale
Speed is better than melodic
Ebony fingerboard
Acoustic Resonance
Long-winded, blowhard guitar solos
And a host of other dumb crap that was decided upon without adequate knowledge or research.

Now I know that:
Several other amps are terrific
Brass Bridge plates seldom yield the desired tone
The pentatonic minor scale is a misleading crutch that potentially ruins your playing and is reserved for the posers that most vehemently defend it.
That playing speed instead of melody is foolish.
That ebony is indeed the brightest sounding wood followed by Rosewood, then maple.
That Acoustic resonance in an electric guitar is a foolish pursuit when all the other elements are right.
And long, boring guitar solos are just that. Long and boring and are favored most by those who play a pentatonic minor scale over a progression that is decidedly major while trying to gloss over the fact that a flat 3 is never going to sound good over a natural 3.

Growing up and getting educated is an amazing experience for those who dare to venture!

Last edited:

Matt G

Tele-Afflicted
I've always been pretty equipment-agnostic -- what it does, is what it is. But, here are some major [MAJOR] changes from earlier musical thinking, i.e.:

1. Jazz is wrong
2. Funk and disco are wrong
3. Big, big, BIG amps are wrong
4. I will never, ever pay full freight for a new guitar

That's barely a start, but it'll do.

Poster Extraordinaire
as a kid, I thought SG's were sinister.

I had $400 to spend in 1983. It came down to a Strat and an SG with a Bigsby. I question that decision. I have a lot of guitars, but they're all single coils.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
A shorter list would be what I haven’t changed my mind about.

Unlike a lot of people who get more closed minded in their old age, I’m actually finding myself more open minded. Maybe because I was such a closed minded Richard Cranium in my youth.
Yeah. The older I get, the less I know. I think I knew the most when I was around 19. I pretty much knew everything then. Since then I’ve known less and less every year.

GeneB

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
If it's not made in the US of A than it must be poop. And along the same lines "Only a Gibson is good enough"

rand z

Friend of Leo's
Conversely, to other post(s) here, I've found that there is a reason why expensive guitars are, generally, better guitars.

I used to buy cheaper guitars and mod them to my needs.

It worked out OK.

I recent years, I've purchased a few higher end acoustic and electric guitars.

They play and sound fantastic right out of the box (so to speak).

No mods are necessary.

imo.