On what have you changed your mind over the years?

metalicaster

Tele-Afflicted
A shorter list would be what I haven’t changed my mind about.

Unlike a lot of people who get more closed minded in their old age, I’m actually finding myself more open minded. Maybe because I was such a closed minded Richard Cranium in my youth.
Richard Cranium, I like that.

I’m sure I should have been diagnosed with excrementum in cerebro when I was younger.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I still cant bond with HB's.
For many years I swore Strats were unplayable. Once I bonded and figured them out, I can't seem to enjoy playing anything else.

raito

Poster Extraordinaire
I changed my mind in capital punishment, but no one wants to hear that...

Guitar-wise, I probably changed my mind that there's other than Fender and Gibson out there for electric guitars. And no, not just adding Epiphone and Squier to the list. :)

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
The big change is that I now understand that it’s not the guitar. I’ve learned to get the most from my gear. That’s big.

Subtle differences matter. I’ve modified gear but only to the extent that it doesn’t meet my needs.

Modern country doesn’t suck but it’s not for me, at least not for me to play. A 71 year old guy sounds idiotic singing, “Let’s get drunk and hook up in the back of my truck”.

Being possible doesn’t make it probable, or even desirable.

The extremes don’t meet up on the other side, no matter what non-Euclidean geometries may suggest.

Quantum mechanics makes no allowance for time.

A Gretsch I’ve been fighting with for more than 10 years is like my wife. It’s actually pretty good on its own terms.

Retirement is the best thing that’s ever happened to me and it came at exactly the right time.

HaWE

Tele-Meister
In my youth (mid 70s) I always wanted a strat- and I also was a great fan of that position 2 and 4 quack-sound.My taste has slowly changed over the years - although I have a strat (now modified with 2 humbuckers) I was more and more into the sound of P90s and Filtertrons and other guitars ( Neil Youngs Old Black,J.J. Cales cheap Harmony and so on) .I still like strats but not a "strat-quack"-fan anymore.

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
That I'd never sell those Gibsons

Attachments

• LP20210622_175610.jpg
    LP20210622_175610.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Trini20210622_181035.jpg
    Trini20210622_181035.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 10

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
The big change is that I now understand that it’s not the guitar. I’ve learned to get the most from my gear. That’s big.

Subtle differences matter. I’ve modified gear but only to the extent that it doesn’t meet my needs.

Modern country doesn’t suck but it’s not for me, at least not for me to play. A 71 year old guy sounds idiotic singing, “Let’s get drunk and hook up in the back of my truck”.

Being possible doesn’t make it probable, or even desirable.

The extremes don’t meet up on the other side, no matter what non-Euclidean geometries may suggest.

Quantum mechanics makes no allowance for time.

A Gretsch I’ve been fighting with for more than 10 years is like my wife. It’s actually pretty good on its own terms.

Retirement is the best thing that’s ever happened to me and it came at exactly the right time.
If my mind was changed in any way on retirement, it's that it's even more awesome than I anticipated.
There are so many ways that my musical opinions have changed, but maybe the biggest is that for years I didn't believe a Telecaster could be "appropriate" for the music I play. BOY!....was I wrong. ;)

darkwaters

Friend of Leo's
I, too, have had an SG epiphany (2006). I now own two. Younger me would’ve been astonished (and made some crack about early onset senility).