On what have you changed your mind over the years?

metalicaster

Tele-Afflicted
In the guitar world, some things are taken as fundamental: 'I'm just not a humbucker guy.' I want to know the big thing you do today that you once thought (or even swore) you never would.

For me, I was a strictly heavy strings guy when I started playing. I'd have given you all the arguments about 'tone', 'SRV' and being 'heavy handed', but these days I play nothing heavier than 8s; to now play 10s or more just feels like needless work.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
I couldn't begin to list all the things. Put simply, I was quick to be a fairly reactionary and angry young person. 30+ years ago very different work and the woman who became my fantastic wife were turning points towards be a far more objective and optimistic person. The privilege of responsibility in my work got me very data driven to also help me change firm opinions.

However.... None of that got me liking pointy guitars popular in big hair times, and my appreciation for rhythm over solos continues to grow.

I've been told the reactionary and angry years were a phase and that I was an agreeable child prior to teen years.

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
A shorter list would be what I haven’t changed my mind about.

Unlike a lot of people who get more closed minded in their old age, I’m actually finding myself more open minded. Maybe because I was such a closed minded Richard Cranium in my youth.
Ah yes, I was once young and knew everything. Now the older I get the less I really know