On this day (music related)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by IanMoss, Mar 19, 2021.

1. IanMoss

IanMoss Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

OTD 4 May

Co-incidentally, today is all about soundtracks:
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/best-film-soundtrack-of-all-time-the-winner-is-clearly.1070629/

• 1937 - Dick Dale is born Richard Anthony Monsour in Boston, MA. This particular piece was used in the 'Pulp Fiction' soundtrack.

• 1959 - The very first Grammy Awards are held in Los Angeles, with Album of the Year going to 'The Music From 'Peter Gunn' (soundtrack to the TV series 'Peter Gunn') by Henry Mancini winning Album of the Year. The 'Peter Gunn Theme' (below) was later used in the movie 'The Blues Brothers'.

• 1974 - The Sting soundtrack, featuring Marvin Hamlisch's adaptations of Scott Joplin's ragtime piano tunes, hits #1 in America, where it stays for five weeks.

• 1991 - Cher gets her first solo UK #1 with 'The Shoop Shoop Song' from the film 'Mermaids'. The song had been a hit for Betty Everett on 1964, and gave Cher her first No.1 in the UK since 1965's 'I Got You Babe'.

2. IanMoss

OTD 5 May

• 1963 - On a recommendation by George Harrison, Dick Rowe Head of A&R at Decca records, (and the man who turned down The Beatles) went to see the Rolling Stones play at Crawdaddy Club, London. The band were signed to the label within a week. This is their first single (June 1963):

• 1969 - Creedence Clearwater Revival release 'Bad Moon Rising'. It goes #1 in the UK, but is one of five songs by the band that peaked at the No. 2 spot on the U.S. Billboard chart and didn't get to No. 1. It was blocked by 'Love Theme from Romeo and Juliet' by Henry Mancini.

• 1988 - Adele is born Adele Laurie Blue Adkins in Tottenham, London, England

3. IanMoss

OTD 6 May

• 1945 - Bob Seger is born Detroit, MI. He writes 'Hollywood Nights' in 1978 after seeing Cheryl Tiegs on the cover of TIME magazine.
    1101780306_400.jpg

• 1965 - Keith Richards writes the riff to '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction' in his sleep and recorded a rough version of the riff on a cassette player. He had no idea he had written it. He said when he listened to the recording in the morning, there was about two minutes of acoustic guitar before you could hear him drop the pick and "then snoring for the next forty minutes". Jagger writes the lyrics a few days later.

• 1995 - Melissa Etheridge sets a record with back-to-back singles – 'Come to My Window' and 'I'm The Only One' – on Billboard's Hot 100 for at least 40 weeks.

&

4. IanMoss

OTD 7 May

• 1968 - Reginald Dwight "leaves" and is replaced by Elton John.
    On a plane ride returning home from his last gig with the band Bluesology, keyboard player Dwight looks for a stage name he can use for his burgeoning solo career. In the cabin, he comes across the band's horn player Elton Dean and lead singer Long John Baldry, and asks them if he can appropriate their names to concoct a new one for himself. They agree, and Elton John is born. Long John Baldry is also later immortalised in this song (as both "someone" and "sugar bear"). [My favourite EJ song]

• 1992 - John Frusciante leaves the Red Hot Chili Peppers for the first time.
    While in Japan on the Blood Sugar Sex Magik tour he refused to take the stage during a performance at Tokyo's Club Quattro, telling his bandmates that he was leaving the band. He was persuaded to perform but left for California the next morning. "It was just impossible for me to stay in the band any longer," he said. "It had come to the point where even though they wanted me in the band, it felt like I was forced out of the band. Not by any members in particular or management in particular, but just the direction it was going." Frusciante returned to Los Angeles and spent years living in squalor, struggling with a heroin addiction. The outtro to 'Sir Psycho Sexy':

• 1998 - Steve Perry officially leaves Journey.
    In doing so, he honours an agreement made with Neal Schon and Jonathan Cain that they would reform the band without him if he was not able to tour. He is replaced (at first) with the similar-sounding Steve Augeri. For his part, Perry went onto become somewhat reclusive and, some might say, the hardest-retiring man in show business.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  5. IanMoss

OTD 8 May

• 1911 - Robert Johnson is born in Hazlehurst, MS. He dies on 16 August 1938 [9 days after my Dad was born] aged 27 years and 100 days from (as yet) unknown causes.

• 1965 - D.A. Pennebaker films Bob Dylan in one of the earliest music videos ever shot, the famous "flashcard" clip for 'Subterranean Homesick Blues'. The song has been covered by numerous artists, including the Red Hot Chili Peppers (ymmv but I happen to like that cover).

• 1981 - Lionel Richie and Diana Ross meet at a Reno, Nevada recording studio at 3:30 a.m., where they record vocals for 'Endless Love' needed quickly so it can be inserted into the film of the same name. Richie flew in from Los Angeles; Ross drove up after her concert in Lake Tahoe. The song becomes one of the biggest hits of the decade.

• 1982 - Vangelis (full name Evángelos Odysséas Papathanassíou) went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Chariots Of Fire' (from the 1981 film of the same name), his only US No.1. He as accused of plagiarising 'Chariots of Fire' from a song by fellow Greek composer Stavros Logaridis called 'City of Violets'. Vangelis won in court by convincing the judge to allow him to bring his keyboard setup into the court to demonstrate his method of composing by improvising new music.

6. IanMoss

OTD 9 May

• 1949 - Billy Joel is born in NY. According to the RIAA he has certified sales of 84.5 million albums in the US (the 7th highest on the list).

• 1950 - Tom Petersson, bassist from American rock band, Cheap Trick, is born in Rockford, Il. This song went #26 in the US in 1979 (#5 in Australia).

• 1960 - The birth control pill is introduced in the US, inspiring Loretta Lynn (who had 4 children before she was 20) to write and sing a song about it.

• 1974 - Bruce Springsteen gets a huge career boost when he opens for Bonnie Raitt at her Boston Arena show. Playing his full two-hour set at Raitt's insistence (rare for an opening act), Bruce is so impressive that Rolling Stone's Jon Landau writes in Boston's The Real Paper, "I saw rock and roll future, and its name is Bruce Springsteen. And on a night when I needed to feel young, he made me feel like I was hearing music for the very first time." Landau went on to become Springsteen's manager and producer.

Tonetele likes this.
  7. IanMoss

OTD 10 May

• 1957 - Simon Ritchie (Sid Vicious, the bassist from The Sex Pistols) is born in London, England. He dies on 2 February 1979 in NYC, aged just 21, from a heroin overdose.

• 1960 - Paul Hewson (Bono from U2) is born in Dublin, Ireland. You may have heard of him.

• 1974 - Eric Clapton records a cover of the Bob Marley song 'I Shot The Sheriff', which becomes the only US #1 hit of his career. The song refers to "Sheriff John Brown", who later gets mentioned in the Inner Circle song 'Bad Boys'.

8. IanMoss

OTD 11 May

• 1970 - The "Woodstock" soundtrack is released, officially as "Woodstock: Music from the Original Soundtrack and More". This ISN'T on it.

and just because I can, here's Gregg Rolie performing it 43 years later with Ringo Starr and the All-Starr Band (what a line up!).

• 1973 - Stevie Wonder records 'Higher Ground'. US Hot 100 #4 (#1 on the R&B Chart)

• 1981 - Bob Marley dies aged 36. In July 1977, Marley was found to have a type of malignant melanoma under the nail of a toe, Marley's health deteriorated as the cancer had spread throughout his body. Marley had the 1981 single 'No Woman No Cry', plus over ten other UK Top 40 singles. In 1990, the 6th February was proclaimed a national holiday in Jamaica to commemorate his birth. The compilation album, Legend, released in 1984, is the best-selling reggae album ever with sales of more than 20 million copies.

• 1985 - Madonna goes #1 with 'Crazy For You'. The song debuted on the chart at number 55 on the issue dated 2 March 1985. After six weeks (three weeks at #2 behind the WATW), the song reached the top of the chart, replacing 'We Are the World' by USA for Africa.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  9. IanMoss

OTD 12 May

• 1928 - Burt Bacharach is born in Kansas City, MI. American composer, songwriter, record producer, pianist. With Hal David he wrote many classic songs including, 'Close To You', '24 Hours From Tulsa', 'Make It Easy On Yourself', 'Magic Moments', 'I Say A Little Prayer'. He has won 3 Academy Awards and 6 Grammy Awards. Bacharach's songs have been recorded by more than 1,000 different artists and he has written more than 70 US and 50 UK Top 40 hits. He also co-wrote this:

• 1948 - Steve Winwood is born in Birmingham, England. With the Spencer Davis Group had the 1966 UK No.1 single 'Keep On Running', with Traffic the 1967 UK No.2 single 'Hole In My Shoe', Blind Faith, (with Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Ric Grech), 1969 UK & US No.1 album. Winwood played Hammond organ on the Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland album track 'Voodoo Child (Slight Return)'. He also had a successful solo career with hits including 'While You See a Chance', 'Valerie', 'Back in the High Life Again' and during the late 80s two US No.1 hits 'Higher Love' and 'Roll with It'.

• 2001 - After 27 years as a fugitive from a New Jersey prison, convicted child-killer Edward Solly is arrested in St. Petersburg, Florida, where he has been masquerading as long-dead Sha Na Na guitarist Vinnie Taylor, complete with a website and nightclub act.

• 2001 - Perry Como dies in his sleep aged 88. He scored fourteen US No.1 singles, from 150 US chart hits and over 25 UK chart hits, including the single 'Magic Moments' and 'Catch A Falling Star.' Como was once the highest-paid performer in the history of television.

• 2008 - Neil Young gets a spider named after him. US university biologist Jason Bond discovered a new species of trapdoor spider and decided to name it after his favourite musician. Myrmekiaphila neilyoungi was found in Jefferson County, Alabama, in 2007.
    TTuZCYXbY274uPbttDSBfB.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  10. IanMoss

OTD 13 May

• 1941 - Ritchie Valens was born in Pacoima, LA, CA. He had the 1958 US No.2 hit single 'Donna' and a hit with 'La Bamba'. On February 3, 1959, on what has become known as "the Day the Music Died", Valens died in a plane crash in Iowa (aged only 17), an accident that also claimed the lives of fellow musicians Buddy Holly and J. P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson.

• 1945 - Richard Salwitz, stage name Magic D!ck (mods I'm being serious here), was born in New London, CT. He was the harmonica player with The J Geils Band.

• 1950 - Stevie Wonder was born in Saginaw, MI. Sales of tens of millions of records, 22 Grammys, an Academy Award (for this song), a Presidential Medal of Freedom....This song below is his best-selling single to date, topping charts around the world.

• 1966 - Darius Rucker (vocalist for Hootie and the Blowfish) is born in Charlestown, SC.

• 1969 - The Beatles pose for this photo, recreating an earlier image from 1963 (from the Please Please Me album). Both images are later used on compilation albums.

67-A.jpg

• 1994 - Soundgarden release 'Black Hole Sun' as the third single from their fourth studio album "Superunknown".

• 2019 - Doris Day dies aged 97

11. IanMoss

14 May

• 1936 - Bobby Darin is born in East Harlem, NYC. He died of sepsis on 20 December 1973 aged 37.

• 1962 - Ian Astbury (lead vocalist for The Cult) is born in Heswall, Cheshire, England

• 1991 - EMF release 'Unbelievable' in the US, where it goes to #1.

• 1998 - Frank Sinatra dies aged 82.

12. IanMoss

15 May

• 1947 - Graham Goble (Little River Band) is born in Adelaide, South Australia. As one of the songwriters in LRB he penned songs like 'Reminiscing' (US #3), 'Lady' (US #10), 'Take it Easy on Me' (US #10), 'The Other Guy' (US #11), and 'The Night Owls' (US #6). John Farnham on vocals with this one (Glenn Shorrock had left by then):

• 1953 - Mike Oldfield is born in Reading, Berkshire, England. Best known for his debut album, Tubular Bells, which has sold an estimated 15 million copies worldwide, including 2.7m in the UK alone (the album featured a song later made famous as the theme to the movie The Exorcist). He also wrote this:

• 1986 - Run-D.M.C. release their multi-platinum album (the first hip-hop album to go multi-platinum) Raising Hell, which features the (platinum-selling) re-worked version of the Aerosmith hit 'Walk This Way'.

• 2003 - June Carter Cash dies aged 73. The song below written by her mother (Maybelle) and sister (Helen). June co-wrote 'Ring of Fire' (a hit for Johnny)

13. IanMoss

OTD 16 May

• 1953 - Richard Page (Mr Mister) is born in LA. He co-wrote and sang lead vocal on two 1985 US #1 singles - 'Broken Wings' and 'Kyrie' .

• 1966 - The Beach Boys release (an album, widely lauded as one of the greatest ever) Pet Sounds.

• 1981 - Kim Carnes goes #1 in the US with 'Bette Davis Eyes'

14. IanMoss

OTD 16 May (cont)

• 1986 - The movie Top Gun is released, the soundtrack includes the Academy Award winning (Best Original Song, 1986):

OTD 17 May

• 1961 - Enya (Eithne Pádraigín Ní Bhraonáin) is born in Gweedore, County Donegal, Ireland.

• 2012 - Donna Summer dies of lung cancer, aged 61.

• 2017 - Chris Cornell (Soundgarden) is found dead, aged 52.

15. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Holic

Wow, @IanMoss!
    I hope you get compensated for your effort!

IanMoss likes this.
  16. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Holic

Wasn't Donna Summer's lung cancer caused by having been downwind of the 9/11 attacks?

Or am I remembering it wrong?

IanMoss likes this.
  17. IanMoss

I did read that (I think she blamed the cancer on 9/11), but I also read that she was a smoker earlier in life, she was exposed to a lot of second-hand smoke in clubs as she performed (well after she quit), and even some suggestion of a family history of the disease.

Just 63 years old. Far too young.

I get to listen to some cool music every day (often music I typically wouldn't listen to) when I am putting the post together.
    So yes, I get compensated.

Weazel and acoustic rob like this.
  18. IanMoss

OTD 18 May

• 1942 - Albert Hammond is born in London, UK. I've seen this song mentioned favourably on this forum before (note what I write about 'Radio Song'). I know it because my music teacher back in 1988 had very good taste and played it for us. Thank you Mr Eather.
    In time, the river banks will die, the reeds will wilt and the ducks won't fly
    There'll be a tear in the otter's eye, Down by the river

The banks will soon be black and dead, and where the otter raised his head
    Will be a clean white skull instead, Down by the river

• Jim Moginie (Midnight Oil guitarist) is born. This was The Oils first Australian Top 10 hit (1983). Moginie is playing what looks like a Fender Jazzmaster (?) in this video (Martin Rotsey is playing a Rickenbacker). The bassist in this clip is Peter Gifford (who is still alive), and in 1987 or so he left and was replaced by Bones Hillman (who sadly died in 2020).

• 1980 - Peter Criss (Kiss) leaves Kiss. This music video was literally the last thing he did with the band (until he returned 16 years later). Although all four original band members appear in the video, only Paul Stanley and Ace Frehley were involved in the recording of the track. Session drummer Anton Fig plays drums, Kiss roadie Tom Harper plays bass and professional songwriter Holly Knight plays keyboards, while Stanley sings lead vocals and plays lead guitar, and Frehley plays acoustic guitars. Vini Poncia provided backing vocals to the track.

• 1985 - The Breakfast Club (a movie starring Emilio Estevez, Anthony Michael Hall, Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy, and Molly Ringwald) is released. 'Don't You (Forget About Me)' by Simple Minds was the lead song on the soundtrack. It was a US #1, that almost wasn't....
    The song was written and composed by Keith Forsey and Steve Schiff while scoring The Breakfast Club. Both were Simple Minds fans and wrote the song with the band in mind. Forsey played a demo for the band's label, A&M, which invited him to meet the band backstage after one of their "Tour du Monde" shows in the U.S. However, A&M did not notify Simple Minds that Forsey would appear, and the band declined the offer of the song despite Forsey's enthusiasm for them.

Forsey next offered the song to Bryan Ferry, then Billy Idol. Both declined The record company suggested Corey ('Sunglasses at Night') Hart, but Forsey didn't think h was right for the song. Fixx lead singer Cy Curnin also passed on the sog.

According to Simple Minds singer Jim Kerr, the band was reluctant to record the song, as they felt they should only record their own material. "We are Simple Minds - we don't do songs that sound like Simple Minds. We are Simple Minds. We do our own songs," he recalled to the BBC in 2018. The band also were frustrated that their attempts to find success in the U.S. market had not succeeded in getting them significant radio airplay, and did not see how recording the song would turn out any better.

The band relented after persuasion from A&M and from Chrissie Hynde (then married to Kerr) and after receiving a phone call from Forsey in which he reiterated his admiration for the band. According to one account, the band "rearranged and recorded 'Don't You (Forget About Me)' in 3 hours and promptly forgot about it," believing that it would be a throwaway song on the soundtrack to a forgettable movie.

• 1991 - R.E.M. go #1 in the US with their seventh album "Out of Time", which includes 'Losing My Religion' (the video for which is banned in Ireland, due to the religious imagery) as well as 'Radio Song'. I've seen this song mentioned unfavourably on this forum before (note what I wrote about 'Down by the River'). I remember hearing this on the radio back in 1995 or so (?) driving home at 2:30 am in the morning after a super-long shift at the local Pizza Hutt. I thought it was catchy....

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  19. IanMoss

OTD 19 May

• 1945 - Pete Townshend (The Who) is born in Chiswick, UK.

• Grace Jones is born in Spanish Town, Jamaica.

• 1951 - Jeffrey Ross Hyman is born in Queens, New York. He forms the Ramones and takes the stage name Joey Ramone. At first, he's the drummer, but he becomes the lead singer when Dee Dee struggles to sing and play bass at the same time.

• 1954 - Phil Rudd (AC/DC drummer 1975–1983, 1994–2015, 2018–present) is born in Melbourne. He's been the only Australian born member of the group since Mark Evans (bass) left in 1977. Since 1983 he has lived in NZ.

• 1978 - Dire Straits release their first major label single 'Sultans Of Swing', recorded on a £120 budget. The song was first recorded as a demo at Pathway Studios, North London, in July 1977, and quickly acquired a following after it was put on rotation at Radio London.

• 1979 - Eric Clapton holds a party to celebrate his recent marriage to Patti Boyd. There is a small stage in the garden and, as the evening progressed, Paul McCartney, George Harrison (Patti's ex husband) and Ringo Starr jam together for the first time in years, along with Clapton, Mick Jagger, and Ginger Baker. They run through songs by Eddie Cochran and Little Richard.

• 1986 - Peter Gabriel releases his fifth solo album, So, and goes from cult performer to pop star.

20. IanMoss

OTD 20 May

• 1944 - Joe Cocker is born Sheffield, England. This song from the 1982 film 'An Officer and a Gentleman' was a US #1 and topped the charts in several other countries. Cocker and Warnes were awarded the Grammy for Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals and the songwriters won the Academy Award for Best Original Song

• 1946 - Cherilyn Sarkisian (Cher) is born in El Centro, CA. He first US #1 (a duet with her then husband, Sonny Bono).

• 1969 - Peter Cetera (then the bassist and singer with Chicago Transit Authority [later just "Chicago" ]) is attacked at a Dodgers-Cubs game at Dodger Stadium. Explaining the incident, Cetera says: "Four marines didn't like a long-haired rock 'n' roller in a baseball park, and of course I was a Cubs fan, and I was in Dodger Stadium, and that didn't do so well. I got in a fight and got a broken jaw in three places, and I was in intensive care for a couple of days. With my jaw wired together, I actually went on the road, and I was actually singing through my clenched jaw, which, to this day, is still the way I sing."

• 2013 - Ray Mazarek (keyboardist for The Doors) dies aged 74 of Cholangiocarcinoma (Bile Duct Cancer).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.