On this day (music related)

IanMoss

Tele-Holic
OTD 13 January

1955 - Paul Kelly
is born in Adelaide, Australia. One of Australia's (the world's) very finest singer-songwriters.

^ In case anyone is wondering, The "MCG" in the song is the Melbourne Cricket Ground, featured in the video at 2:00, the largest stadium in the southern hemisphere, with a current capacity of 100,024 people.

1968 - Johnny Cash played a show, which was recorded, for his forthcoming live album At Folsom Prison, near Sacramento, California in front of 2,000 inmates. When released, the lead single, "Folsom Prison Blues" (an update of his 1956 hit) became one of the most famous recordings of his career.

1978 - The Police start recording their debut album, Outlandos d'Amour. Their budget is just £1,500, which drummer Stewart Copeland borrowed from his brother, entertainment executive Miles Copeland III. All aboard the one-way train to being the biggest band in the world....

Last edited:

IanMoss

Tele-Holic
OTD 14 January

1973 - Elvis Presley's
"Aloha From Hawaii" special is the first concert featuring just one performer to be broadcast live via satellite. Australia, Japan and other nearby countries see it live, while most other territories watch it later on tape delay. The concert is released as a double album later in the year.

1978 - Fleetwood Mac's album Rumours album hits #1 its 31st, and last, week on the US chart.

^ The look on Stevie's face at 1:20.

1989 - Sales of the soundtrack to the film Dirty Dancing reach 10 million copies.

^ Swayze wrote that. Respect.

IanMoss

Tele-Holic
OTD 15 January

1972 - Don McLean
hits #1 US for the first of four weeks with "American Pie". The single runs 8:36 - you have to flip the 45 over to hear all of it.

1977 - Eagles go #1 in the US with their album Hotel California.

1994 - Harry Nilsson dies aged 52.

1994 - Counting Crows are the musical guest on Saturday Night Live, performing "Mr. Jones" and "Round Here". The appearance sparks sales of their debut album and sends radio stations scrambling to add the songs to their playlists.

2018 - Delores O'Riordan dies aged 48.

IanMoss

Tele-Holic
OTD 16 January

1980 - Paul McCartney
gets jailed for nine days in Tokyo for marijuana possession after being found with 219g on his arrival at Narita Airport in Japan. McCartney said in 2004. “This stuff was too good to flush down the toilet, so I thought I’d take it with me.”

1988 - George Harrison is #1 on the US singles chart with "Got My Mind Set On You".

1988 - George Michael is #1 on the US album charts with his debut solo album Faith, which went on to sell over 8 million copies.

1992 - Eric Clapton records Unplugged. The set which included his current hit single "Tears in Heaven" and a reworked acoustic version of "Layla", earned six Grammy Awards for the album including Record of the Year.

IanMoss

Tele-Holic
OTD 17 January

1955 - Steve Earle is born in Fort Monroe, Virginia. "Copperhead Road" was released in 1988 as the first single and title track from the album of the same name. It got as high as #23 in Australia.

1956 - Paul Young is born in Luton, Bedfordshire, England. "Come Back and Stay" was the opening track from his 1983 debut album No Parlez (the album is a pretty slick bit of new wave imo).

1959 - Susanna Hoffs is born in Los Angeles, California. "Manic Monday", written by Prince, was a US #2 in 1986.

1981 - Motley Crue forms when bassist Nikki Sixx starts rehearsing with drummer Tommy Lee. "Kickstart My Heart" was a hit from their 1989 album Dr. Feelgood.

IanMoss

Tele-Holic
OTD 18 January

1964 - The Beatles
make their US chart debut when "I Want To Hold Your Hand" entered the chart at No.45 just ten days after its release, making it the fastest-breaking and the fastest selling single in Capitol Records history. It went on to spend seven weeks at #1.

1975 - Barry Manilow scored his first US No.1 single when "Mandy", (originally titled 'Brandy' when it was recorded in 1972 by Scott English), went to the top of the charts.

2016 - Glenn Frey
passes away aged 67. In addition to achieving (huge) success with Eagles, he had a solo career during the group's "14 year vacation" (as described in Hell Freezes Over). "The Heat is On" was a US #2 in 1984 and "You Belong to the City" was a US #2 in 1985.

IanMoss

Tele-Holic
OTD 19 January

1935 - Johnny O'Keefe
, 'Australia's King of rock 'n' roll' is born in Bondi Junction (Sydney), NSW. In these parts of the world he is best known for the song "Shout!". He co-wrote and had Australian hit "Wild One" which was covered by Iggy Pop as "Real Wild Child" in 1986. J.O.K. died on 6 October 1978.

1946 - Dolly Parton is born in Pittman Center. Tennessee.

1980 - Pink Floyd go to #1 on the US album track with their double-album masterpiece The Wall.

1980 - The Pretenders score their first UK #1 hit with their third single "Brass In Pocket". Their self-titled debut album started a four-week run at #1 on the UK chart also on this day. Singer Chrissie Hynde got the idea for the song's title when, during an after-show dinner, she overheard someone enquiring if anyone had, "Picked up dry cleaning? Any brass in pocket?"

Last edited:

IanMoss

Tele-Holic
OTD 20 January

1952 - Paul Stanley
(KISS) is born in NYC.

1962 - Dick Dale's guitar instrumental "Let's Go Trippin'" hits #60 in the US, becoming the first Surf Rock song to chart.

1982 - During an Ozzy Osbourne concert in Des Moines, Iowa, a member of the audience threw a bat onto the stage. Stunned by the light, the bat lay motionless, and thinking it was a rubber fake, the singer picked it up and attempted to bite its head off. As he did this, the bat started to flap its wings and Ozzy soon realized it wasn't fake but in fact a living thing. After the show Ozzy was immediately rushed to the nearest hospital for rabies shots.

1988 - The Beatles were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Paul didn't attend, Ringo was drunk, George looked upset, and John...

2012 - Etta James dies aged 73. Her signature song, "At Last", reached #2 on the Billboard R&B chart.

IanMoss

Tele-Holic
OTD 21 January

1941 - Placido Domingo
(of The Three Tenors) is born in Madrid, Spain.

^ I may have that clip wrong.

1950 - Billy Ocean is born Leslie Sebastian Charles in Trinidad and Tobago. He moves to Romford, England, at age 10.

1984 - Yes go to #1 in the US with "Owner of a Lonely Heart". Catchy tune. Not sure of the origin of this version of the music video, as it isn't the official version. But it is certainly the most '80s version.

IanMoss

Tele-Holic
OTD 22 January

1931 - Sam Cooke
is born in Clarksdale, Mississippi. He is shot dead in 1964.

1949 - Steve Perry (Journey / solo) is born in Hanford, California. That voice....

1960 - Michael Hutchence (INXS) is born in Sydney, Australia. He dies in 1997.

1965 - Steve Adler (Guns 'N Roses) is born Michael Coletti in Cleveland, Ohio. He was fired from GnR in 1990 over his heroin addiction, but here he is on the sticks when they were inducted into the Rock 'n Roll HoF with Myles Kennedy (vocals), Gilby Clarke (rhythm), Duff (bass), and Slash (lead)

IanMoss

Tele-Holic
OTD 23 January

1953 - Robin Zander
(Cheap Trick), is born in Beloit, Wisconsin. Some pretty cool songs in the CT catalogue, such as "Dream Police", "The Flame" and "I Want You to Want Me".

1965 - Petula Clark is#1 on the U.S.A with "Down Town", making her the first UK female singer to reach the summit on the US singles chart since Vera Lynn in 1952.

1969 - Elvis Presley records "Suspicious Minds" at American Sound, a small studio in Memphis. The song is a huge comeback hit for Elvis and gives him his last #1 in the U.S.A.

IanMoss

Tele-Holic
OTD 25 January

1931 - Stig Anderson
is born in Stockholm, Sweden. Songwriter, producer and manager of ABBA. He co-wrote several ABBA songs including the two below. He died on 12 September 1997.

1975 - The Carpenters are #1 with "Please Mr Postman". This is the second time the song has been a #1, having been at the top for the The Marvelettes in 1961.

2015 - Demis Roussos, who sold more than 60 million albums worldwide, died aged 68 in hospital in Athens.

IanMoss

Tele-Holic
OTD 26 January

1955 - Eddie Van Halen
is born in Amsterdam, Netherlands. This is a cover of his Beat It solo, on a telecaster. Eddie passed away on 6 October 2020, aged 65.

1970 - Simon & Garfunkel release the album Bridge Over Troubled Water.

1973 - Elton John releases his sixth studio album Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player. It features two of his most popular songs: the '50s flashback "Crocodile Rock" (Elton's first #1 hit in America) and the Vietnam War-inspired "Daniel"

1974 - Ringo Starr goes #1 in the US with "You're Sixteen"

IanMoss

Tele-Holic
OTD 27 January

1962 - Elvis Presley
's "Can't Help Falling In Love" is certified gold.

1968 - Mike Patton (Faith No More singer) is born in Eureka, California. "Epic" was a #1 in Australia in 1990 (#9 in the US).

1970 - John Lennon writes, records and mixes "Instant Karma!" (all in one day). It was in stores 10 days later.

1984 - Michael Jackson, unquestionably the biggest pop star in the world at the time, films an ad for Pepsi that goes horribly wrong when some stray pyrotechnics sets his hair on fire.

1990 - Phil Collins is at #1 on the US album charts with ...But Seriously. On the same day, Soundgarden becomes the first grunge band to enter the US album charts, when Louder Than Love is at #168 (it peaks at #108 in March).

IanMoss

Tele-Holic
OTD 28 January

1984 - Frankie Goes To Hollywood
start a five-week run at #1 on the UK singles chart with "Relax!"

1985 - United Support of Artists for Africa (USA for Africa) record "We Are The World". Most in attendance that night, had earlier attended the American Music Awards that evening. The final version of the song was completed at 8 am the next day.

IanMoss

Tele-Holic
OTD 29 January

1961 - Bob Dylan
meets Woody Guthrie, his musical idol, and later pens "Song to Woody".

1964 - The Beatles record German versions of their hits "She Loves You" ("Sie Liebt Dich") and "I Want To Hold Your Hand" ("Komm gib mir deine Hand"). Hallo an alle deutschsprachigen da draußen.

1979 - Brenda Spencer opens fire on Cleveland Elementary School in San Diego, California, from her home across the street, killing two adults and injuring nine kids. When asked why she did it, she replies, "I don't like Mondays," which the Boomtown Rats use as the title for a song about the incident.

1983 - Men At Work are #1 on the British and American singles and album charts simultaneously with 'Down Under' and 'Business As Usual'.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
I enjoy reading about history. Maybe you do (or will) too?

I'll try and update this every day. Or it might be that someone beats me to it.

As I post from UTC/GMT +13 hours it is now the afternoon of Saturday 20 March. But for many forumites it will be the evening of Friday 19 March. So I'm going to kick off with 2 days:

OTD: 19 March
  • 1957 - Elvis Presley buys Graceland for $USD 102,500 ($USD 960k today)
  • 1958 - Tom and Jerry (Later "Simon & Garfunkel") release "Our Song".
  • 1962 - Bob Dylan releases his self-titled debut album
  • 1974 - Jefferson Airplane begin their first tour under their new name Jefferson Starship
  • 1975 - Led Zeppelin play the Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver, Canada. Tickets cost $CAD 7.50 ($USD 30 today)
  • 1985 - Spin Magazine starts

OTD: 20 March
  • 1959 - Bobby Rydell made his first TV appearance, on "American Bandstand."
  • 1960 - Elvis Presley made his first post-Army recording.
  • 1961 - Ricky Nelson recorded "Hello Mary Lou."
  • 1968 - Eric Clapton, Neil Young, Richie Furay and Jim Messina arrested on drug charges in L.A.
  • 1969 - John Lennon and Yoko Ono marry in Gibraltar.
  • 1977 - The final live T. Rex concert took place.
  • 1991 - Conor Clapton (son of Eric), dies after falling from a window.
  • 1991 - It was announced that Michael Jackson has re-signed with Sony for $65m.
  • 2020 - Kenny Rogers dies

A great read and memory jogger, many thanks for your taking the trouble.

IanMoss

Tele-Holic
OTD 30 January

1951 - Phil Collins
is born in Chiswick, London, England.

1956 - Elvis Presley records "Blue Suede Shoes"

1969 - The Beatles stage their famous rooftop concert on the roof of Apple Records in London, their last ever public performance.

1972 - British soldiers open fire on 26 unarmed civilians during a peaceful protest march in Derry, Northern Ireland, resulting in 14 deaths. The incident inspires Paul McCartney to write "Give Ireland Back To The Irish" (Wings' debut single and written and recorded within 24 hours of the event) and gives rise to the U2 song "Sunday Bloody Sunday."

1988 - INXS get their first and only US #1 song, "Need You Tonight"