On this day, a guitar was born

dblues

Tele-Afflicted
63D46F62-F6D3-40E8-B947-797480808847.jpeg CA18A7B9-5651-4020-9A0E-725F1D976965.jpeg
Final assembly and strung up today. Sounds nice so far. GFS blem body, neck off CL, already had the pickup, loaded control plate and pick guard.

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
Cool. One of my favorite color combinations.
So what is the pickup?
I've recently done four Esquires and still searching for the perfect pickup

dblues

Tele-Afflicted
Cool. One of my favorite color combinations.
So what is the pickup?
I've recently done four Esquires and still searching for the perfect pickup

I bought the pickup off CL quite a few years ago. It was described as "62 tele pickup" by seller. At the time Fender was offering a 62 tele replacement that was well regarded. I was hoping it might be one of those but the seller was kind of vague on its origin and indicated it probably was from a MIJ 62 tele model. I paid $25 for it. The lead wires had plastic insulation and I replaced them with vintage style push back wire. It's flat pole and measures 6.36 dcr so it is lower output than the Nashville Lion in my first Esquire build. That guitar became a true tele with the addition of a Gibson Mini humbucker and I left the Cavalier in there cause it matched well with the Gibson. This pickups, whatever it is, has more high end and definitely can get a bit spikey so the tone control will be invoked when needed. I thought the Nashville Lion was a great choice for an Esquire but I'm enjoying this pickup as well.

All glory to the reverse control plate.
May binding be with you.

No matter which end the switch is on I manage to accidently hit it every once in a while. not good when playing fuzz with volume rolled off and I switch to direct out position!

It's a beast.
There's something about black and white guitars that gets me in the feels. (Looks fondly at my black Les Paul with white pickguard and binding).

I was not thinking black when I decided to get a body for this neck but it was my favorite of what GFS had available. The other day I was searching my old posts for a picture and noticed I had posted about two other Black double bound builds so maybe it was on my radar. This was my second GFS body and the binding is very well done. Needed the usual minor dremel work to get everything lined up but I'm happy with it. The blemish on front is tiny and will soon be joined by some of my own I'm sure.

dblues

Tele-Afflicted
I love this. Double bound + maple fretboard = Awesome!

As mentioned this is my first all maple neck and it was love at first sight when I put these two together. It was another fortuitous find on CL. Came with Gotoh tuners for $75! There is some fret wear but plays well, so good for now. There were some extra holes and wear and tear on the head stock from tuners coming and going but I tidyed it up the best I could. Still some unevenness in the finish from sanding through the original finish that I might address next summer when lacquer spraying is possible. I’m pretty sure it’s a Fender neck. There is a bunch of pencil writing on the bottom, most of which doesn’t make sense but it does say 1952 so maybe from one of the reissues?
Before: A7799A0A-D090-4475-9522-59FAAA0BF4ED.jpeg
After: 238F0D32-3552-4087-B4AE-A425F494A40E.jpeg

Sparky2

Poster Extraordinaire
For behold, I bring unto you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

For unto you is born this day in the City of Smyrna a guitar, which is an Esquire-style, and black.

And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the guitar on a work bench, lying on a festive coloured towel.

:rolleyes:

hqdefault.jpg

dblues

Tele-Afflicted
Nice!! I've been wanting to do one exactly like that but I already have too many damn guitars.
So do I! For some reason I can ignore spare pickups and various other parts forever but when that neck showed up it was on. Plus I had converted my Esquire to a proper tele last summer and I missed it!

pippoman

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
For behold, I bring unto you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

For unto you is born this day in the City of Smyrna a guitar, which is an Esquire-style, and black.

And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the guitar on a work bench, lying on a festive coloured towel.

:rolleyes:

View attachment 933404
Where have I read that before? It sounds familiar, with a twist or two perhaps?