On Switching from Fender to Vox

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Veeseaczar, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Veeseaczar

Veeseaczar TDPRI Member

Depending on how the bass is set.

2. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I would skip the Vox and look for a 90s Gibson GA-15. Killer USA made (the black one) map that nails the AC-15 thing with a little Matchless Spitfire thrown in along with a half power switch. Big money when new, sleeper on the used market.

3. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Another thing I just discovered via some youtube video I can no longer find is that you can plug into the Normal channel and 'play' with the volume (and eq) of the top-boost channel. The sound will change substantially and the eq comes into play (i.e. without having plugged into the top-boost channel at all).

4. Tonemonster

Tonemonster TDPRI Member

That's right

All interactive

5. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I found getting the eq right is crucial with my ac15. Everything at noon doesnt cut it. I like the tone knobs pigeoned toed at about 2 and 11 oclock and the cut at about 50% then push it with an OCD.

Veeseaczar likes this.
  6. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

Much to my dismay I was always unintentionally trying to make my Twin Reverb sound like a Vox AC30. I didn't realize the tones I wanted were actually from a Vox. When I first played one it was that "there it is" moment.

7. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Funny. I had an opposite experience. During the 90s, I was playing through a pair of Korg AC15s (one with a Blue). I enjoyed it thoroughly. Then in early 2000, I found a '64 Super Reverb for sale at a good price. That's when I found what I didn't realize I was looking for.

8. Veeseaczar

Veeseaczar TDPRI Member

So you like the bass up higher? You must be playing the worlds brightest guitar.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  9. Veeseaczar

Veeseaczar TDPRI Member

How would you describe the sound difference? Would it record much differently or is a gear-nerd difference?

10. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

The Vox AC15C1 is its own creature, for sure.

I was just about to sell mine--brittle, sterile, stiff, spikey, etc.--and tried one more time to find sweet sounds and maybe loosen up the speaker. And then, voila, it really bloomed. I love it.

It is indeed extremely touch sensitive when you crank the master and match the dials to your mood and guitar. It's a finicky thing. And I'm not sure, given the goofy range of sounds I play, I'd gig with it. Too much tweaking is needed, even with it giving you lots of control at your fingertips once you dial it in. A Fender, I find, gives you an easier-gigging amp in that it handles switching guitars (that is, pickups) more readily.

Even so, the AC15C1 is a beautiful amp. It's like an instrument in its own right. I've been amazed at how velvety yet articulate it can be, and then so raunchy, and then so rich, or so insistent. It's got some Fender sparkle and some Supro ferocity in it, but in its own ways. British gumbo, for sure. It also voices an old Martin acoustic that has an internal pickup really well, something that few amps do, I've found, as acoustic pickups otherwise frustrate me.

If you're playing just one guitar in a gig or a rehearsal, and you know how to make that guitar yield all its voices, then the AC15 works right along with you. Just be sure to really get its speaker broken in!

11. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

The OP probably would explain why i never could get a decent sound from a Vox.
    I like their sound when others play them, I just figured they weren't for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.