On Switching from Fender to Vox

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Veeseaczar, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Veeseaczar

Veeseaczar TDPRI Member

More specifically the AC15C1, which I now have. I wanted to mention this because I've seen weird opinions about the AC15, and I want to clear it up.

If you play a Fender and you think the AC15 sounds overly harsh, its because **the tone circuit doesnt work the way you think**.

Vox players will back me up, but maybe the optimal EQ position on a Vox amp with the Top Boost circuit is something like Bass at 10:00, Treble at 2:00. And then this very important: Turn the Master Volume way up. Nearly all the way up if you want.

You'll notice that as you bleed in the Channel volume, two things will happen. 1) The amp will become surprisingly full and creamy 2) its *loud*.

When I did and played both of my Teles through it-- with a slight Tone Cut adjustment when switching from old-fashioned single coils to p90s-- I realized it was the sound I had been trying to coax out of my Fender amps for ages. Its roaring and yet articulate, perfectly aggressive when played hard, very pretty with the guitar volume backed off, and plays quite nice with pedals. I will admit that you can't necessarily get Country cleans out of it... Not enough headroom. But the color it adds is nothing short of glorious.

The simple issue is that the AC15's eq isn't straightforward. The two knobs interact a lot, sometimes in ways that seem counterintuitive. It took me a bit of technical reading to find out why. But I'm glad I did. At first the amp perplexed me, and I was confused as to why anyone would use it on stage. Now I get it. *And* the sound guys at the venues are telling me it sits well with the other guitarist's Deluxe Reverb.

Do some reading, turn the Master *way up*, and enjoy yourself thoroughly.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  2. Veeseaczar

Veeseaczar TDPRI Member

I'll add this: when I found this out, it was in the middle of a tour. I was running an overdrive pedal to get the amp to get more aggressive. After the tweak, I found I never had to turn it on!

I only keep it on my board now to be able to cope with the gain difference in the two guitars, and the character of different rooms. Sometimes I have to turn way down and get the fullness from the pedal.

RoscoeElegante and Richie-string like this.
  3. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

+1. The Top Boost tone stack is as counterintuitive as a tweed Deluxe, but when you crack the code it's glorious.

4. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

I don't play an AC15, but I have owned an AC30 for many years. As you say, the top Boost tone stack is extremely interactive... it takes some getting used to. Also as you say - turn up the master!

My favorite use of the amp is the "Normal Channel" not the Top Boost channel. Guitar, volume, tone cut (to varying degrees depending on guitar)... It's raw, it's simple, it sounds great! IMO it is the best pedal platform I've ever used.

5. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

You are right Veeseaczar, with a Vox AC15 amp ( I have the HW serie with the blue speaker), you are always a turn of a knob away from tonal heaven. On mine, I can bypass the master volume completly, wich I do, then I crank the monster; heaven... and I'm a Fender guy.

6. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Soo I tried this on my Boss ME80 using the Vox AC30 model thru my 5e3 and it works great.......love tone....I'm actually saving my pennies for an AC15 but I'm satisfied for now.....

7. JJAdams1956

JJAdams1956 Tele-Meister

I will add that the AC10C1 tone controls react the same and sound really good at bass 10:00 and treble at 2:00, as Veeseaczar indicated.

jannodude likes this.
  8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I used to play through both an AC-15 and a Deluxe Reverb. Those two amps really complimented each other. Just a suggestion.

9. Veeseaczar

Veeseaczar TDPRI Member

How did you have the amps set, respectively? What kind of sound did it yield?

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I ran a Roland RE-150 Space Echo between them with the repeats going to the DR. I set them up like I would normally with the treble slightly higher then the bass on the Vox and the bass on 3 and treble on 7 with the DR. The two amps really complimented each other. The Vox has stronger mids and the Deluxe has the scooped mids. The Vox was slightly overdriven and compressed while the Fender was bright and clean. Each amp added what the other was missing.

I had a financial pinch and had to sell the Deluxe. It was a '66. I'll never find another for what I paid for that one. At least I got to experience that sound.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  11. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I run mine about the same as you've described. I adjust the tone cut as needed depending on which guitar I'm using.

The blue speaker is the magic part of the equation. I've had an AC15 with the greenback and feel it's no comparison to the blue for the Vox sound. YMMV

Chuckster likes this.
  12. krowbot

krowbot Tele-Meister

I agree. I have an AC30 though and I have my master at least at 50%. I enjoy the normal channel a lot. I mean a lot. I have played through Fender amps and own a few myself but after owning the Vox, the Fender cleans sound so “sterile”. You like what you like I guess.

The only trouble I had with the Vox is finding the pedals that work well for the sound I am looking for when it comes to heavier gain.

It is amazing how different pedals sound when plugged into different amps/speakers.

13. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

I'm jealous that you guys get to crank these in a room bigger than my 10' x 12' bedroom. My amps are just itching to be overdriven til they "turn over"... it's been a while,

Thanks for the advice... I've made notes and hopefully I'll get to try your suggestions sometime in a larger space with less neighbors.

[[Edited to remove "humble brag" - wasn't my intent]]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  14. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Huh.
    For me, it's still my black deeeluxe, but w/ Yellowjacket EL34 inserts in place of the 6V6 power tubes.
    Makes ME smile.
    ;)
    Peace - Deeve

15. Veeseaczar

Veeseaczar TDPRI Member

Humble brag.

16. Veeseaczar

Veeseaczar TDPRI Member

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GUYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYS

Should I put my G12-M65 in the AC15? Whats gonna happen? Good idea? Bad idea?

17. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Interesting. When I think sterile, I think my AC10 vs. my deluxe reverb. I can't get myself to play thru the Vox enough. I guess I don't like "gain" much and it's hard to get away from with a master volume amp. I couldn't tell you what a Solid State amp sounds like, but I tend to think the Vox sounds more solid state than my DR. Kind of cold and brittle compared to warmer and soft.

Please help me find the right tone on my Vox so I use it more. I find I have to fiddle with amp settings too much with the Vox. Bass at 10:00 (so that's like 30%) and treble at 2:00 (60%) with master volume up is the sweet spot, eh? What do you set the Gain at?

18. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I have a 60s Ac30 with celestion blues. No master. I use both channels blended together via a jumper lead to get the best of normal and bright. I like to set the cut about midway with treble and bass slightly past midway with the two volumes past midway into breakup. I use an attenuator set right for the circumstances because that us one loud amp!

19. Veeseaczar

Veeseaczar TDPRI Member

Whatever you want, and I suppose that depends on your signal. But with standard tele coils, I set it similar to where the bass control is set.

If you put the master up literally all the way, you can afford to keep the channel volume down and get a slightly cleaner sound.

And the amps are definitely more sparkly than Fender amps. Usually Fenders sound rounder on the bottom, more open and breathing, and glassy on the top. If you're just really used to that sound, at first the Vox will seem overly driven and tight. Could be because the of the closed cabinet.

If its possible, You could try taking the back off the Vox, making it an open cabinet. Might make everything sound less laser focused. But I guess that would require your AC10 being a combo amp to work.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  20. Slim

Slim Tele-Holic

Indeed. Vox eq doesn't do the traditional tone knob where 0 = muffled, 10 = bright.

The treble does get pinched and ice-picky when dimed, but it seems voiced as a parametric one-knob-can-do-it-all and doesn't radically subtract the high frequencies. I have no problem playing on the Tele bridge with the treble all the way down, not muffled at all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.