On Fender, Gibson, Guitar Specs and Surprises

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by MilwMark, Apr 8, 2017.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have learned a lot about myself over the last few weeks.

About a year ago I declared myself a Tele guy exclusively. And a baseball bat neck guy exclusively. If I was going to play electric, it was going to be a T style with a huge, round neck. Period.

And I still love my two T's with baseball bat necks.

But over the last few months I've gone crazy, or on a journey of discovery. I now own a Jazzmaster, Stratocaster, and Les Paul Jr.

I have learned that I don't like arch tops on guitars. Not sure why but they don't feel right after extensive playing. Or "medium jumbo" or "tall" frets.

Most surprising, I learned that I flat out LOVE a 7.25 radius and vintage frets. My Jazzmaster and Strat both have them. Comfortable. Easy to play. Notes ring. I can do a whole or 1.5 step bend just fine and the action doesn't have to be high to accomplish that.

I've also learned that to me, the American Vintage series are flat out great guitars. The fit, finish, materials and workmanship are really, really good. Even better, lots of folks must not like the vintage radius + vintage fret combo. I feel bad for them but I've been able to pick up mint versions for peanuts, which also appeals to me.

I'll post pics shortly. Actually, you can see the Jazzmaster headstock in my Avatar.

Oh, and I've also learned I love painted, matching headstocks.

2. Big Burly

Big Burly Tele-Meister

I found out that I actually like the 7.25" fretboard radius,, when I bought a 60s-era Japanese guitar that had one.

And, if you take a 7.25" radius gauge, and compare it to a 12" radius, they aren't remarkably different. Yes they do feel different, but they aren't that far off from each other.

I agree on the bends as well. I do not think I have played a guitar with the vintage fret wire. Great! Now I need to find one and try it!

You enabler, you!

MilwMark likes this.
  3. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I wandered quite some time to understand what i like and don't, i've tried as most guitars that was possible, strats, lp, 33x's, and many others, i came to the tele late ..i had always disregarded it, then i went with a friend to get a 52 for him .. well that was it, got some along the way, now i'm settled with my avri 72 custom, I'm good here :)

In the beginning the most "scary" thing was the 7.25 radius, but the scare disappeared quickly, it came as a surprise to me that this " unappealing guitar " was exactly what i was looking for :) i just need to stay away from chunky necks as i have small hands and it's really hard getting around it, i tought i was a lp guy :p

Big Burly, hellopike and MilwMark like this.
  4. MilwMark

IMG_1230.JPG

5. MilwMark

IMG_1229.JPG

Matthias, jjudas, hellopike and 4 others like this.
  6. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not surprised, I make discoveries like that as well. A lot of people develop a crowd mentality and listen too much to the all the noise about what is the "best" version of guitar, amps, mic, etc. rather than trying things and drawing their own conclusions.

I am still looking for the ideal gear for me, but it is still a little fuzzy right now.

jjudas, hellopike and Sandhill69 like this.
  7. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

I'm making discoveries this week as well. I realize this might not be groundbreaking, but it is for me: I got a fender Super-Sonic and it's opened my eyes: the neck is much thicker than any of my others and I love it. Its also the first time I've had a tremolo that I could setup to my likings, and I find I like it a lot. And finally, I've realized I tend to press much too hard on the strings. Sometimes I don't even realize it on my Tele, but with a bridge that's held with springs, pressing too hard causing the notes to be out of tune. So I'm learning to have a lighter touch.

jjudas and MilwMark like this.
  8. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My Jazzmaster is a 7.25" radius and plays better than my 9.5" radius Fenders, using a Mustang Bridge. It goes to show that a big issue isn't perhaps the radius but the nut and fret treatment to get over the perceived "issues" with 7.25" radius necks. But where your hands are concerned, the tension over the nut and bridge is a big deal. As is of course the profile. It's perhaps the mix of 7.25" combined with a shallow-ish C that really does it for me on the JM over my Tele with a fat neck but similar radius/frets.

9. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Definitely a journey. I grew into thick necks and p90s but people I know would have always praised thin necks and hb

I don't think you can ever know the destination at the start of the search, but if I could tell my 16 year old self it would be 'what was used to play the music you like?'

Turns out the 1950s style stuff suits me best

Also: I don't buy guitars on reputation. Understanding all the variables and factory qc means I want to play it and know it is good (or get trusted person to try it for me). I never played 2 lps the same

Buying guitars with your eyes based on their name has been a wrong direction for me. Bring on the blindfold

10. El34tube1

El34tube1 TDPRI Member

Totally agree with you don't know what you might like unless you try it.
    I also came to the telecaster quite late on, always played a lespaul or humbucker loaded guitars or strats.
    My telecaster cs50 in my avatar is a revalation!
    Chunky maple neck, vintage size frets &7.25 radius that is a joy to play.
    I to can bend easily on a 7.25 & chording feels real comfortable.
    This telecaster is my most played guitar for quite some time now, my other guitars don't get anywhere near the use they used to.

11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I just got a Jaguar to play surf music. It reminds me of the Jazzmaster I had as a kid in the late '60's when I was just learning how to play. I may have to pick up one of the JM '60's Lacquer to go with it.

I have a MIM Strat that is close to the same color as your Strat. I love it, too. But I also have a Gretsch, Les Paul and a few other guitars that are unlike a Fender and get along well with them.

12. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I like 'em all...they're like friends...you want variety.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  13. jjudas

jjudas Tele-Meister

I like a variety. Where's the fun in playing the same type of guitar all the time? I don't whine about switching from long scale to short scale guitars or changing neck profiles. Make the journey interesting...different.

14. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I understand wanting to bond with one guitar. There is a comfort to that, and I did that for many years. But I have discovered several guitars I really like, and had to "learn" how to own several guitars.

I had to basically tell myself that I love them all, but I can only play one at a time. And they will all get their chance to be played.

Instead of worrying about having a favorite, I tell myself that the important thing is to play as often as possible, regardless of which instrument it is.

To the OP, I love Jazzmasters as well. Mine is shell pink with matching headstock, though it has a 9.5 radius and tall frets! Opposite of yours. I like vintage specs as well. It's all good.

15. Mxrk

Mxrk TDPRI Member

I prefer 7.25 as well. The only downside is that this usually means the neck has the truss rod adjust at the heel, which is a pain in the behind.

16. m0b1liz3

m0b1liz3 TDPRI Member

I wish there were more companies making compound radius necks 7.25-14" or 8-14" would be ideal.
    I also wish that Gibson had more variation than only 12". I always hated the "customshop" marketing when nothing was really customized to your specifications.
    You should be able to specify neck thickness, profile, radius, finish, maximum weight etc. That would be a customshop guitar. I have a MIJ style '54 style LP that I love but the neck is too thin and uncomfortable. It is the most resonant LP I have had and is also super light. I contemplated getting a super thick slab of rosewood and re-doing the fretboard but no one seems to think it is a good idea :p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.