1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

OMG! Silicon fuzzes are incredible! What’s your fave?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 4pickupguy, Sep 22, 2020.

1. edvard

edvard Friend of Leo's

I like the Bosstone as much as anybody, but according to the man himself, that was a homemade fuzz built into his Telecaster by a friend. I remember he had some comments on his old website and he mentioned it being powered by a 1.5V battery, but he had no idea of anything beyond that and the guitar is loooong gone, so the world may never know.

I'm sure that most any fuzz can be biased and voiced to nail that iconic tone, and the Bosstone may be the one to do it. I remember building a Bosstone with a few tweaked values years ago, and I remember liking it very much.

4pickupguy likes this.
  2. Telewielder

Telewielder Tele-Meister

MXR Classic 108 is great.

Chiogtr4x and 4pickupguy like this.
  3. openbar

openbar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

For once I was ahead of the curve! While I really enjoyed the Fulltone '69, I've come to realize that silicon is better for me. Brighter, snazzier, more predictable. Specifically the ol' Jimi Hendrix big box (as good or better than boutique for $99).

Iago and 4pickupguy like this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Stupid story:

I bought one of these MXR Classic 108's ( used on CL) a few years ago, liked it just fine. Powerful and dynamic- good FF

But since I was not really using it on by gigs, at the time, I though I would re-sell it myself on CL. So I posted a FS ad on CL just kept it in my car trunk, as I'm always driving....

So, July 2018, I get in a head-on car accident on my way to a gig ( VA country road) and totalled my beautiful Camry ( not my fault and thank goodness, minor injuries to both drivers). An experience that honestly frightens me much more now thinking about it, than in the actual moments...

When I go to body shop parking lot ( where damage is assessed)a few days later to get personal stuff out of the crumpled car, I find everything I'm looking for EXCEPT my Fuzz! ( it's in its MXR box, in a grocery bag, and in trunk)
    I tear thru whatever is in trunk but no luck. Me sad.

I never brought it up, but wonder if someone went through my stuff and kept it?

4pickupguy and Telewielder like this.
  5. Telewielder

Telewielder Tele-Meister

Well, it didn't just disappear, did it? They must have grabbed it... too bad, it's a great pedal. Sorry to hear about the accident!

4pickupguy and Chiogtr4x like this.
  6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks, am ok. But still freak out on Country roads when cars go too fast ( and I'm an Uber Driver!)

What bugs me ( or disappoints me),

is that if the Fuzz were actually stolen, it means that somebody at either the first garage ( where car was initially towed, near accident) or the body shop parking lot, ACTIVELY rummaged thru the stuff in my car and trunk looking for something valuable, right?
    I mean it wasn't like the Fuzz was visible, out of box, if you looked in the trunk.
    It was in its box wrapped in a white Wal-Mart ( or similar) plastic grocery bag.

My faith in the good of man wants me to believe, that I just missed it when I went back to car, but I really don't think so...

4pickupguy and Telewielder like this.
  7. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Well the sickness has truly taken over. I ran across a Moollon Fuzz 14 (it’s the predecessor to the Sol Fuzz, *OP) near by on Amazon and couldn’t resist. I now own more fuzzes (4) than I have played through in person. I figure these are only going to get harder to find as they were dropped a few years ago. They already go for more than original list now. This one was a real steal. Sorry honey...... If you run across any Moollon stuff, I can not recommend them enough. (Fyi,They make one of the best wah pedals ever!)

It’s a (Young Joon Park) BC108 silicon fuzz face repro. Very stoked!

B21885E5-0ADE-4235-87A9-D2CD33D43DCC.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  8. 4pickupguy

9. 4pickupguy

....pssst,.. there’s a Sol Fuzz on Reverb for $139 w/ two day free shipping,... an offer of $120 to the seller might work,...just sayin’. The way the universe works is this: The strong nuclear force, the weak nuclear force, magnetism, gravity....aaaaand, I buy something that I have searched long and hard for and travel half way around the world and finally see one on line from a seller across the street from my house for peanuts... no need to thank me, its apparently what I am called to do for humanity.:mad: You’re welcome...

Moollon Sol Fuzz
    https://reverb.com/item/35744485-mo...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=35744485

B073CA15-74E8-463F-B431-F800208940B7.png

10. deus56

deus56 Tele-Meister

Here is my favorite, one of Justin's. Sounds as good as it looks.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4pickupguy likes this.
  11. 4pickupguy

Please give us some details on this! Who is Justin, and what’s the story here?

12. OzShadow

OzShadow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I like the modern Green Russian. Better suited to 90's alternative. Not really Hendrix Fuzz Face.

4pickupguy likes this.
  13. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Afflicted

Chase Tone Fuzz Fella

4pickupguy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.