OMG...Has anybody got the JR Kohler Saddles yet?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by duanesworld, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee Harvey

Lee Harvey Banned

Let get this straight... so I understand...

You are telling me.. my guitar, which you have never played, worked on or let alone seen in the real world..

Is not intonated perfectly?

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yes.

You did your best. You don't need to do anything now but just play it.

But it isn't intonated perfect because there is no such thing. Do a poll here of the TDPRI guys. They may different about how to get as close as you can, but the overwhelming majority will say, you can't get it perfect. Perfect, as in intonating 6 string electric guitars, doesn't exist.

3. Lee Harvey

Lee Harvey Banned

I can't hear anyone who can make judgments on my guitar without playing it, working on, or heck even seeing it...

Did you say something...

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You heard me. The Custom Shop guitars aren't perfect, Ron's aren't perfect, mine aren't perfect, Rob's aren't perfect. Yours aren't perfect.

5. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I've played the role of physicist/mathematician for nearly 40 years.

Guitars cannot have "spot on" intonation.

I look forward to trying a set of these saddles to see how they do at approximating a solution.

6. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

YES, you can perfectly intonate each string of any guitar that has invidually adjustable (length) saddles. it's near impossible to do if there isn't a unique and length adjustable saddle for each string.

after intonation, a guitar will probably not play in tune up and down the board - that's where compensation is used.

7. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

There is no way, physically, and because of the way scale length and fretting distances are calculated that any fretted instrument will play perfectly in tune in every key. You can tweak until you're blue in the face but mathematics and physics will defeat you every time. Don't believe me?

http://timberens.com/essays/tuning.htm

8. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

Facts are facts. No-one is personally attacking you; it's a fact. Like water doesn't flow up hill, any guitar, whether a tech has played it or not, with traditional saddles is impossible to intonate perfectly, and indeed, [some] compensating saddles are the same. You sound lucky. You've got yours incredibly close. Good for you. I had a 52RI which I got "near perfect" too. It sounded great.

Look at this way. At least you don't need to fork out on JR Kohler saddles.

:lol: Peter

9. ScottieHotrod

ScottieHotrod Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

10. Rob DiStefano

hello? anybody home? someone please turn the lights on so the truth can be seen ...

INTONATION and COMPENSATION/TEMPERAMENT are different, but related.

YES, you can perfectly intonate each string of any guitar that has invidually adjustable (length) saddles. it's near impossible to do if there isn't a unique and length adjustable saddle for each string.

after intonation, a guitar will probably not play in tune up and down the board - that's where compensation is used.

11. Lee Harvey

Lee Harvey Banned

I get ya Rob...

And I completely understand..

So far you'll the only one with a brain on this thread..

Wanna know why..

No one, but no one.. OK.. you... kinda...

Has even asked what kind of saddles I use....

ALL have pre judge without even knowing that minor.. itty Bitty little detail....

12. Rob DiStefano

*I* don't need to know a thing about your guitar. you do. got individual length adjustable saddles? if so, you and anyone else is good to go for spot on intonation. HOWEVER, "intonation" is totally meaningless without compensation. again, with six adjustable saddles, that can be done quite well (though never "perfectly"). all that said, a lotta great music has, and will continue to happen, with guitars that have no saddle length adjustments at all.

13. Lee Harvey

Lee Harvey Banned

Yes Rob I do have Six saddles..

Yes Rob it does... INTONATE perfect..

Yes Rob I know the difference between intonation and compensation... and how they work together..

I never ever mentioned any other word than intonation...

14. Rob DiStefano

we're both saying the exact same thing.

i added in the "compensation" thing for those that think intonation is the final step in a guitar setup.

15. Lee Harvey

Lee Harvey Banned

Yes we are...

That is why I said you're the only one with a brain in thus thread...

16. mojavemike1

mojavemike1 TDPRI Member

Nice if you could buy individual saddles in different metals for much less than the complete unit...if they are a precision fit, you should be able to mix and match. :idea:

17. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Let us rejoice!! Finally, the only two people with brains on this forum have met each other and are busy hugging each others huge brains!! And the rest of us dumbasses are here to witness it!! What a glorious day!!:lol:

18. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

OMG... I am ever glad that got straightened out!

19. Hohn

Hohn TDPRI Member

It might be, it might not.

As any electrician will tell you, copper work-hardens a lot. If these saddles are undergoing some kind of wrought-metal process, then they could be work hardened to Brass levels and beyond.

Pure elemental copper is harder than pure elemental aluminum (and no one sees to have problems with Aluminum as a saddle material).

Personally, I'd love to see something made of bell-bronze-- they same thing they use for cymbals. Or (my ideal) beryllium copper, which can be hardened much more than elemental copper.

I'd also like to see what some alloys steels would sound like. I'm a diesel engineer for a large American manufacturer and have encountered 4140 chromoly a lot, and when hardened to about HRc 40 it's got this distinct "ching' sound to it that makes me think it would make a good saddle or instrument parts material.

JH

20. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

Well, mathematically perhaps you can never whittle things down to perfect, but you can certainly intonate until the human ear can't detect a problem. And I play the guitar in the real world, not in a hypothetical world on paper.

I'm a diehard traditionalist in many ways, and old fashioned brass barrels suit me fine as long as the guitar is set up and adjusted to a point that I can't hear anything that offends me.

Beyond that, you're just sorting the pepper from the fly poop anyway.

Rick

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.