OMG...Has anybody got the JR Kohler Saddles yet?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by duanesworld, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

Looks like a Glendale American Standard bridge.
    http://www.glendaleguitars.com/ASchrome.jpg

2. Johnny Isaacs

Johnny Isaacs Tele-Afflicted

Yes it's an American Standard bridge. I'm a huge fan of Roy Nichols (he's been my avatar on here since 2003), James Burton, Luther Perkins, etc... I bet if they had intonating saddles back in the day, they would have used them. Back before Danny Gatton popularized slanted saddles, we used to take a pair of pliers and twist the saddle screw to get them more in-tune.

When I play out - I like to be in-tune all over the neck. Even more important when recording! With these saddles I find that I am more in-tune than I have been with other saddles. If you're happy with your guitar and saddles, then congradulations to you. If you're interested in trying something new, I can tell you from experience, these are the best saddles I have used.

Some people will continue to hate anything new and anything that's not under $20 bucks. Lets see what happens after some other players get them, just don't take my word for it. I too, generally steer clear of catch phrases "Tone to the bone" etc... but these live up to the hype.

3. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

I like my action low. These saddles seem to be similar to most others...5/16. I need the 1/4 inch saddles to drop my action enough. They look nice though.

4. JesseJerk

JesseJerk TDPRI Member

Ok just got a set of the Cold Rolled Steel.....going on my Tele with Glendale Cold Rolled on it now. I will keep you posted on what I think. I'll give any new Tele part a shot. And they where more, $11 more than Glendale. It's not that much for a saddle with bit more machining and labor involved.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Tapping 9 holes in $2 worth of metal ... priceless.

6. JesseJerk

JesseJerk TDPRI Member

OK first impression. They fit together REALLY tight. Way more contact between the E/A saddle and the D/G saddle. Machine work is flawless. Very smooth and polished. All the screws are nice and tight with no play in them. See for yourself.

And here is a little disclaimer. I own a shop here in Las Vegas and people try to sell me stuff all the time. So, I'm pretty jaded when it comes to the "Next Big Thing". So far I'm pretty happy.

[​IMG]

7. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I wanted to get compensated brass saddles for a vintage tele so was going to buy a Wlkinson bridge including saddles on ebay (approx $20) and put the saddles into my original Fender bridge.

For that extra few bucks I get an extra bridge plate to try.

Don't really understand why these would be much better at a way higher price.

8. flyingbanana

The saddles are touching each other.

9. JesseJerk

JesseJerk TDPRI Member

Well like the Glendale stuff it's more contact between each saddle. I have a bunch of Glendale stuff on my guitars. Been a pretty big Glendale supporter. JR. stuff is really well made. Very quality machine work. And tapping some holes in $2 worth the metal is a little harder and costly than you may thing. I pay pretty good money for machine work all the time(my other passion it vintage British Motor Cycles). The rounded elbow cuts on these fit together really well. And you know what they look great. Lets be real....we all like stuff that looks cool.

10. flyingbanana

I agree. Tight tolerances, different types of metals and trying different approaches in the search for tone....nothing wrong with that. I just think that a lot of folks who are traditionalists will never agree, but that's ok though.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  11. Johnny Isaacs

Johnny Isaacs Tele-Afflicted

JesseJerk's Tele looks just like mine. I'll post some pics asap.

12. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This bridge makes your guitar sound like a violin too. :D

I love expensive, well-made things - but I also love marketing and technobabble and the way it increases profit so much.

[​IMG]

13. flyingbanana

lol

14. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

$150 for three bits of brass rod? I'll stick with my perfectly functional $12 Wilkinsons, thanks all the same...

15. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Not a false statement at all. Do a search on here on the subject of intonating non-compensating saddles.

I am, however, delighted that you've got yours spot on.

:) Peter

16. kubiakl

kubiakl Tele-Meister

Not attacking you AndrewG, but curious - where is the $150 coming from? On the website they're listed at $70 per set.

JesseJerk - thanks for the pictures, they look great. Have you had any trouble adjusting for radius?

17. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

to quote bill murray - "it just doesn't matter, it just doesn't matter". :D

for those feeling the need to spend far more money than necessary on prospective holy grails, whilst doing yer don quixote quest for "The Best" of anything, have at it, enjoy the ride! :cool:

hopefully, some day, probably in the far off future if the hype marketing mongers have anything to do with it, y'all will get back to what matters most - and that will have nothing at all to do with overhyped and overpriced guitar parts. :rolleyes: :D

18. JesseJerk

JesseJerk TDPRI Member

Tuned on my CONN strobe (yes I'm old school) Tuned up great. The cold rolled has a nice attack to it. Bit more sustain then the Glendale. I am a bit heavy handed and the JR saddles do not move. Radius set really easy. Heck I like em'. Most likely going to try a couple of the other sets. Copper ones look cool maybe I'll give those a shot.

I like the fact that people are always trying new things and ideas. It's fun. It's why a lot of us are all of these message boards. To see what's new out there. Pedals parts and all the great doo dads that are part of what makes playing guitar and chasing tone so much fun!!

19. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't want to put it on a vintage correct reissue, but something that puts newer ideas into play (bigger frets, flatter or compound radius, hotter pickups dedicated to midrange attack) like the '52 Hot Rod. I don't know why Fender hasn't put the compensated saddle idea to market on their Hot Rod or similar modded out tele.

I like Kohler's aluminum and brass combo saddles. If the metals concept is anything like the Kahler tremolos, then the brass should give an even balanced tone across all areas and the aluminum should sustain a whole lot. You can get twang but bring up sustain on 5th and 6th strings. Great idea!

20. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

there is no need to spend excess dollars like, what i'm reading - $70-150 just for compensated brass saddles. that's almost stupid, they're prety much all the same stuff anyhoo.

comp saddles have been around for a very long time. why fender doesn't use them is their own "vintage business". who really know or cares?

almost every week there's someone somewhere offering something that's bigger better bester than anything ever seen before for all manner of things in life. truth be told, 99.99% of all that "new and improved" stuff just, well, isn't. let the buyer beware. and ask yerself - "do i really need this stuff?".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.