OMG...Has anybody got the JR Kohler Saddles yet?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by duanesworld, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

"OMG"??? Have I stumbled into the Justin Bieber forum by mistake?

2. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

OMG, you're killing me man!

:lol: :lol: Peter

3. Johnny Isaacs

Johnny Isaacs Tele-Afflicted

Wow... How quick some are to judge something new that they've never tried. I play an LsL Tele and a Nash Tele... I learned all about them from the TDPRI. My guitars have Ron Ellis & Don Mare pickups in them - again, from the TDPRI. I used Robbie Wallace pedals, RGW Bad Bob's, because I learned about them from the TDPRI. I've been hear a very long time, since '97 when it was the TDP. I remember when Glendale and everyone else came out and it was the same stuff "Leo invented the wheel - Next..."

I have several sets of these saddles and I can tell you that they live up to what the website says. I know, I've tried them. People are more than willing to pay big bucks for a Klon, but by some of your arguments, a $29 Rogue overdrive is the same thing as a Klon. Strymon makes great pedals, we'd all agree, that all start at $300 bucks. Yes these saddles are more expensive - because they're worth it. A Hipshot and an Evans Pull-String both bend the B string but one is $100 bucks and the other is $1000+. I think an investment in saddles is cheaper than buying a new guitar or replacing pickups. Some people are being very quick to judge something new without trying it.

What is it about them that I like? Well, the saddles sit upright on the screws, flush against the bridge plate. To my ears, it makes a difference. They look great too. One poster talked about the intonation... Well they are machined in a way that make them intonate better than any other set of saddles I've tried and I've tried just about all of them. Fender, Glendale, Callaham, etc... I have the cold-rolled steel on my LsL. That plus the Ellis pickups make it sound even more amazing than it did already. The Copper saddles sound like no others. It's an acoustic, woody, yes, almost piano-like tone that I hear with them on my guitar. I would say my Tele's with them on there are 25% louder acousticlly as well. They're very resonate sounding.

The idea for these saddles came from the TruArc Bridgework bridges many Gretsch players use. Check them out.

I think once more people give them a try, post some reviews on them, tunes will change...

I don't work for the company, I have no affliation, I'm not getting paid; but I have tried and very much like these saddles. I think they're amazing. A Timex and a Rolex both tell time... YMMV

4. RocketScientist

RocketScientist TDPRI Member

.....A Timex and a Rolex both tell time... YMMV[/QUOTE]
    Exactly...you pay for the looks...and it is same here...

5. Johnny Isaacs

If it was just the looks, I would have passed and not said a word about them. I've been on the TDP a very long time and I have rarely came out and talked about a product before that I really liked like I do these. I have posted about Ron Ellis pickups and my love for RGW pedals. There are people who've joined within the last couple years that post every 10 mins about everything and have the 20 millions posts to prove it.

All that being said, they are the best saddles I have ever played on or heard. They just so happen to look great too. It's the quality and how they're made which I based my comparison of a Timex and a Rolex.

Try them for yourself and prove me wrong...

6. Lee Harvey

Lee Harvey Banned

What if there is nothing wrong with my saddles?

7. Johnny Isaacs

Then continue to enjoy them Lee. I'm not telling anyone to go buy this or that. My post on here was in response to people immediatly dismissing these before they've tried them or given them a chance. I think in these times, people don't have a lot of money to go out and buy new guitars everyday. One thing about most of us Tele guys, is that we love to tinker and try new things. Saddles, are cheaper than a new guitar or pickups. Why not try them if you're curious? If you're happy with your sound, I say great! Nothing wrong with that.

I've bought many things based on reviews I've read on the TDP. I would hate for somebody to miss out on something, which I happen to think is great, because of some bad reviews by people who've never tried them. That's why I spoke up. And yes I paid for mine...

I can't speak to the Tru-Arc guy or his business practices, I just know a lot of Gretsch guys like those bridges. I have a Melita on my Gretsch...!

8. Amos

Amos Tele-Meister

There are literally thousands of songs recorded over the years with the good old' Tele saddles Leo designed, and most of those songs have Tele tones I love.

I guess I'll just keep the run-of-the-mill, Wal-Mart/Timex saddles on my 52Ri.

9. Lee Harvey

Lee Harvey Banned

+ a million.

It was good enough for Luther, James Burton and good enough for my close friend and personal guitar hero... so why not good enough for me..

10. PeterUK

Thanks for posting Johnny. Many of us have been about since "the old days" and have seen new members pop up and post with "OMG" excitement only to discover they are a plant for the new manufacturer.

I'm happier now you've added your views. But c'mon: OMG??? Really??? :lol:

The stock saddles do a job but you will never, ever get the intonation spot on. There's another thread discussing the Jerry Donaghue tuning method and it's a compromise all the way.

All the same, enjoy your guitars.

:D Peter

11. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I think I may just try a set.

That way I will know.

Of course I could just do some idle speculation... ;)

12. PeterUK

Any new product should come with lots of idle speculation!

:lol: Peter

13. Lee Harvey

Lee Harvey Banned

That is false...

My stock saddles intonate perfect.

14. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

What's up with the JR Kohler website: "403 Forbidden"?

:cool:

15. Lee Harvey

Lee Harvey Banned

Those true arc guys hate criticism... probably shut it down cause no one is saying what a master he is and how we should worship him....

Roflmfao...

16. Mightyaxeman

Mightyaxeman Tele-Afflicted

Anybody notice the bridge on the green tele. Is it extra long or what? The intonation screws are a mile long and the saddles are at the end of the screws. What's the deal with that. Is the bridge mounted further back on the body? It sounded like a tele to me by the way. No different then the majority. I would have picked a player with some soul over a technical wanker and maybe recorded it a little louder. If there is a tonal difference you can't tell from that video.

17. Lee Harvey

Lee Harvey Banned

You can't hear the difference because you have yet to over pay for saddles..

Once you over pay for saddles the difference will come to you like a light in the dark.

18. Mightyaxeman

Mightyaxeman Tele-Afflicted

I like that they researched the best sounding metals then offered sets of every possible metal and the best sounding violin bridges are carved from one piece of wood but their saddles are still a three pieces design. What? What? What?

19. Lee Harvey

Lee Harvey Banned

Every Tom, Dick and Harry has done extensive research on metals..

Tell me something I haven't heard before.

20. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Tele-Afflicted

A couple of random observations :

- for me, guitar related expressions revolving around the word "Tone" like "Tone to the Bone!" are becoming a huge turnoff. I might even not investigate a product because of "Tone, Baby!!" -alike slogans.

-wow, it seems like there's an awful lot of really expensive boutique bridges out there. Not against that, and I have a stainless steel Tru-Arc on a Guild hollowbody, and I'm waiting for a Marc Rutters bridge. But I'm still amazed by the number of companies that apparently do pretty good business selling bridges that cost more than the average pickup.

-I'm surprised people put up demonstration videos of things like bridge saddles. The hyper compressed audio of typical online videos can sort of get the general sound color of a guitar or amp across, enough to make you interested anyway, but bridge saddles...? Really?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.