1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

OMG Craigslist!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Nubs, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

It's almost getting to be intolerable to sell stuff on CL anymore.

So I posted a couple of cymbals I'm looking to sell about a 30 minutes ago, and within 5 minutes I get 4 (COUNT THAT...FOUR) replies which are all the same. Ridiculous, spammy texts that go something like this:

Spammer doosh: Hey I saw you had <item> listed. Is it still available?

Awesome me: You know it is moron
    (by this point I know it's spam and it doesn't matter what I write here cuz they aren't reading)

Spammer doosh: Ok great, would you mind if I sent you a code to make sure you're real?

Awesome me: Uhhhh no... GTFO with this spammy #%*#!
    (I then proceed to spam them back with many texts containing an unpleasant picture)

End of conversation.

Anyone else get hit with this crap on CL? Jeez Louise!!!

2. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

I think everyone has moved on to fb marketplace. Which is unfortunate, because I don't use facebook for anything. CL is a spammy wasteland now though, yeah. Have you heard of Nextdoor? That might be to your liking.

3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

All you have to do is put this in your description:

"If you're reading this, the item is still available. If you ask me if it is still available, I will ignore you completely."

Then... stick to that, and ignore everyone who starts out by asking if it is still available.

Unfortunately, FB Marketplace has an auto-button for asking "Is this item still available?" People don't even have to type it out, they can just hit a button and it sends the message automatically.

Fretting out, Deeve and sax4blues like this.
  4. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I only allow email by proxy and I've never gotten spam through CL.
    FB marketplace has been terrible to use. I still try CL first to buy or sell.

irie, erratick and fjblair like this.
  5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I'm still fine with CL, buying and selling ( pedals, mostly)

My only issue is sometimes a person that responds ( or I have responded to...) just kind of evaporates, disappears.
    When that happens, I do not bug the other person, I just move on.

All sales/purchases have been fine.( all local meets)

Maybe just lucky!
    As an old fart, I'm still glad this is all free! ( remembering the old Classifieds!)

OldPup and Rockinvet like this.
  6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

For CL, use their email proxy contact ONLY. IF a buyer is real you can always send them your phone or email from there. The text spammers took over a couple of years ago. I've sold quite a bit on CL. It moves slow sometimes though.

irie and NoTeleBob like this.
  7. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

In my listings, I print "NO TEXT", but the Spammers can't read half the time. I am so glad I am a Flip Phone Dude! My Wife spends half her time Texting?

mexicanyella and nojazzhere like this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

It's been ages since I tried to use CL, for selling OR buying.....but when I did, I always included the standard "Ad will be deleted when item is sold....no need to ask if it's available." But yeah, there were still idiots who asked.....and I just ignored them. On my local CL, all I see anymore is the same tired old garbage, posted and re-posted every other day. I look at CL out of habit, but it's really just a waste of time.

9. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Here, I use kijiji occasionally. No real reason for it, but it’s way less spammish than CL.

10. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

Yeah proxy email only.

Dan German likes this.
  11. televillian

televillian Tele-Afflicted

FB marketplace is the remedial Craigslist

12. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I have bought and sold a lot of musical gear, and non musical stuff too, over the years on CL. I have never had a problem. I only use their email proxy and never put my phone # in my listing. If a real person contacts me, I then will talk with them via phone or text. Never had an issue. I refuse to join Facebook, so don't about it. I like CL largely because I hate paying sales tax on used gear. Pretty much refuse to use Reverb for that reason alone.

13. CaptainCrunch

CaptainCrunch Tele-Meister

Here there's maybe 2-5 things a month I'd even be interested in at ANY price, and most are "PRICE FIRM, NO OFFERS ACCEPTED I KNOW WHAT I HAVE!!!!!!!!!" and they're in line with the most pie-in-the-sky Reverb listings you can find. There's stuff on local CL that's been there at least a decade.

But then again, it costs nothing to buy or sell there, and you get what you pay for.

Bet charging $1 per listing would really clean up the place, though. Spam or scams on internet scales only work if they cost absolutely nothing to run.

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I met my wife on CL, blame the drummers!

jays0n, Deathray and gregulator450 like this.
  15. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Those auto-spam messages occur every time a new post is created. Just ignore them. Real buyers are out there. I buy and sell on CL all the time.

PhoenixBill likes this.
  16. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve always stayed away from CL.
    I departed Facebook 4 years ago. I keep hoping a creative future billionaire will develop an alternative.
    Spam and scams are everywhere.

17. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

That's alright, some joker in my area has had a Mk II Katana 50 listed for the last few weeks. It's a $240 amp at full retail, he started his off at $450 and every few days drops the price and appears to think that's some concession. Currently sitting at $250, "make me an offer," lol.

18. markal

markal Tele-Holic

I’ve had no trouble at all with CL. I’ve sold a bunch of guitar and mountain biking stuff using it without much of an issue. I get the scammer emails but they’re easy to spot.

19. Dog Bite

Dog Bite Tele-Meister

I've done pretty well on CL In the past. Just had to be patient and use common sense. People in Jersey are pretty skittish sometimes, afraid of getting waylaid. But hey it's Jersey so you just gotta be on your game and not be a soft target.

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I have to wonder if we are seeing a new area of mental health problems?

Shopping anxiety
    Selling anxiety

For example we see those new ads by Carvana depicting car buyers being tied to a chair and tortured at car dealers, then shifting into glorious online shopping where you swipe your phone and a pretty girl comes to your house with a car, or with cash for your car.

Virtually every selling method has horror stories, but few are really horrifying.
    Are we being groomed for a future where we never leave our cubicle?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.