Omaha, Ne. - 5/20/2020

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, May 21, 2020.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yes, quite pleased with my R1. It scratches that 'classic 1911 itch' nicely without breaking the bank.
    IMG_20181121_165529295~3.jpg

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  2. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Omaha, it was a great place to live.

1911...carried a Combat Commander for a period of time...mostly a J frame now.

3. chet again

chet again Tele-Afflicted

My two 45 ACP pistols:
    IM002735.JPG

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Even when it comes to hockey riots we're more lovers than fighters!

[​IMG]

5. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Or “Rounds”. In context “cartridge” or “round” is equivalent.

Ergos on the 1911 are fine...for many. Not so fine for others. I’ve shot 1911s, Sigs, Glocks, H&K, Walthers, Springfields, and S&Ws. None of them actually had bad ergos, just ergos that I wasn’t used to. I learned on 1911s, and my first Glocks were initially hard to shoot because of the grip angle was different from what I had first learned. After a while it is like going from a Tele to a LP. I’ve also shot S&W, Ruger, Dan Wesson, Colt and Chiapa revolvers. All have their advantages and disadvantages. All are comfortable for some, uncomfortable for some.

The most amazing thing about the average 1911 is the trigger. It is a better trigger feel than any Glock, Sig, or other plastic fantastic out there (except some custom shop models). Other triggers may have useful features not found on a 1911 trigger, but for sheer feel, that is the one everyone wants to emulate.

39martind18 likes this.
  6. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Sheesh! We can't even do rioting properly.

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It was an embarrassing moment. But, back to guns!

aerhed likes this.
  8. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Yes please.

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

We have a local police log FB page where they post updates for the public to keep up on, and the public posts sunrise pics and such.
    Most are from other states because we are a tourist destination.

Interestingly, many tourists state on the police log that are are coming to town and we cannot make them obey the law.
    Funny place to be scoffing, but who am I to judge!

10. lousy13

lousy13 Tele-Meister

The Big O. My hometown. Stopped at Stella's many times for a burger and fries and a cold PBR before drinking PBR became a hipster thing while working for an electrical contractor during the summer of '76 while home from college. We were wiring up new homes for Air Force Officers in Fontanelle Hills near Offutt.

Couldn't even find a Remington 870 at Cabela's in Thornton a couple of weeks ago. Gun and Ammo sales have been through the roof.

11. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Meister

The bullet is the part that gives an ouchie ouch.

12. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

3 1911 styled units for me: Springfield Armory Range Officer in 9mm, Kimber Pro Carry II in .45, and S&W Model 59 in 9mm. The S&W is double action/ single action.

13. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Hello McFly!! There's never been a pistol that is a more natural pointer and if you can't shoot one you get with Chet, load some ammo and practice. It ain't the guitar, it's the player. Same with a pistol.

14. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

Which is the part you bite?

15. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Album Cover of the Week™

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, here's the thing. I was a competitive shooter for about 15 years. Also, an engineer with a lot of focus into ergonomics. When you look historically at how gun design evolved, it is not much of a stretch to suggest that pistol designs have gotten better since the turn of the last century. Certainly Browning came up with a superb design ahead of it's time, but even ballistically, it is quite outdated. Respectfully, I'm not too sure you can compare subjective music to shooting accuracy either. I understand people born and raised with the 1911s are used to it and would resist changing, but then again some love their single action revolvers. I just don't get it and I cook exclusively on a wood cookstove.

17. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

To the modern shooters out there, the 1911 or a Browning Hi-Power are pretty archaic and not well liked. That said, no Marine would go through life without one. I still carry the same one issued to me after they decomissioned the 1911 and I do so for 3 simple reasons: They are easy to conceal; have great stopping power; and because it is what I spent my life shooting so I am good with it. When the military went to the Berretta M9, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn so that 15 rounds meant very little. With the 1911, was on competitive pistol teams...it is just so much easier for me to shoot.

Unfortunately, it has become very expensive to practice with range fees so I spend much of my time shooting black powder these days down at a friend's farm. Cost per shot is much higher than cartridge, but you will never find yourself racking off 50 rounds in seconds like at a range. With Black Powder, the whole day might be 40 shots between cleanings and reloading.

MickM likes this.
  18. chet again

I must have the right size hands or something. I can shoot all of my pistols pretty well.

19. chet again

Where is a range in Omaha and what's it cost to shoot there?

Glad I don't have to bother with ranges. That's the reason I didn't get any guns while I lived back east. The laws were too crazy in NJ and MD. anyway.

20. chet again

Do they think they can kill germs with a gun? :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.