Omaha, Ne. - 5/20/2020

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, May 21, 2020.

1. chet again

chet again Tele-Afflicted

My 'Remington R1 is good enough for me. I don't see how any 1911 could be any better.

2. chet again

The guy at Cabelas was telling the guy ahead of me as I was paying for the bullets that it has been "crazy" lately with the sales of pistols. There seemed to be lots of reloading supplies.

I kinda worry about all the guys who just bought pistols, shotguns and rifles due to things going on lately. A lot of them don't have experience with firearms. Handling them is not to be taken lightly. One little mistake and you could injure yourself or others around you.

I was 11B in the US Army so I got mucho training with firearms.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    aerhed and drmordo like this.
  3. chet again

Bullets are mostly made of lead with different casings around them. You can get plain lead bullets also.

Fretting out likes this.
  4. chet again

I've heard a few good things about Stella's in Bellevue as far as the food so I stopped there the other day. I got a double cheeseburger and fries. The fries didn't have any salt and kinda sucked anyway. The burger was so-so.

My stomach felt bloated and I had the runs the next night. LOL! :eek:

5. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

Gotcha
    So when you load your weapon, what do you call the things you are loading into it?

6. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Stella's was only good for one thing, the MONSTER burger that is stacked to the roof. Beyond the novelty, their food never impressed me. The place you want to go is "The Drover" if they have opened back up yet. That place will blow you away.

7. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

:cry: You can't fix stupid.

8. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Meister

I've had the exact same concern. Any new gun buyers certainly didn't get any training or range time with it for the first 4-6 weeks of the crisis.

That said, I wonder how many guns sold during the crisis were to new owners vs people who already own guns.

BTW, I got my primers and powder today. Once I finish building the strat I'm working, I'll be spending some time at the reloading press.

9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Cartridges...:)

Wallo Tweed and suave eddie like this.
  10. chet again

That's what I'm afraid of...Stella's blew me away. BWAAHAAHAAA!

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    aerhed and Milspec like this.
  11. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe I'm at a disadvantage because I'm Canadian but I don't know what the difference is between bullets and ammo. What's the difference?

Edit: I see this has already been answered...no need to respond to me.

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I know there was a run on ammo. Has it come back yet? Waitin' for the green light to get some 9mm "ammo".

BTW, I don't get the adoration of the 1911. Bad ergonomics all around and not all that great of a shooter either. I suppose if you spent your military career spending all that time with one is a good excuse, but otherwise, I don't get it.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. chet again

That's why I reload my own ammo. I have a big jug of 9MM brass I picked up from the range I go to.

Obsessed likes this.
  14. chet again

I went up to Sioux City, Iowa tonight to get a pizza to go. On the way back I stopped at a Dairy Queen to get a banana split (really healthy dieter, I am).

Next door to the DQ is a Mexican restaurant. That place was getting a lot of dine-in business.

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Some of our local businesses opened today. I went to Dick's Sporting Goods, had a new grip put on my wife's favorite fairway wood for her. Bought 12 bucks worth of tees I could have bought at Wally-World for 6 bucks, but hey, they just opened. Greeted the people I knew, told them I was glad they were back. Also bought a headcover for my Callaway driver on impulse, just because the store was open. I had a headcover on my driver, but it was a ping, so I thought it might make my club happy to have a headcover that fit! Michael's an arts and crafts store next to Dick's was open. The mall is going to open tomorrow. I'm hoping Kohl's will open soon, I'm gonna take my sweetie down there and let her go on a shopping spree.

16. Toto'sDad

As soon as the restaurants start opening, I have a list of people who we want to take out to dinner!

17. Toto'sDad

I don't shoot anymore, but I used to shoot quite a lot, like everything, when my son passed, I just lost interest. I agree though, the 1911 never appealed to me, but I understood the logic behind the thinking. It's kind of like lobbing a bullet at the target to me though. I don't have it anymore, but the Sig Sauer P-220 .38 Super was my favorite pistol that I ever owned and shot. It had been slicked up, and shot as well as I could. It was so comfortable because it only had a single stack magazine. Nine in the magazine, one in the chamber and double action on first round, semiauto after that. No safety, YOU were the safety. The double action first shot was all the safety I needed. I shot double action revolvers a lot too, and there was no safety on them. If you actually need to use a firearm, the less complicated the better for me.

Obsessed likes this.
  18. chet again

Some gunsmiths can make them very accurate. Not all 1911s are born equal.

aerhed and Obsessed like this.
  19. Dano-caster

Dano-caster TDPRI Member

I had the early Kimber Custom years back and it shot well right out of the box.Just too big to carry concealed.great on the range though.

20. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Meister

Part of it is certainly the historic importance of the 1911. Essentially every semi-auto made today in 9mm or larger incorporates some part of Browning's design.

Another part is the trigger, which is simply one of the finest triggers ever fitted to a firearm. Even my inexpensive Para has an incredible trigger.

I have owned three 1911s and a few very close derivatives, and I have never had a problem with accuracy. I also have never considered the 1911 deficient in ergos, though there are more ergonomic guns. I certainly find it far more comfortable to shoot than many of the more modern designs.

I carried my 1911s for about 10 years, and the main reason I stopped is because I started carrying a Hi Power instead. The manual safety is just a training issue, and one that I worked out many years ago.

Ultimately, firearms are somewhat like guitars. Some folks play a Floyd Rose equipped Hamer, others a Martin acoustic, yet others a Telecaster. It all comes down to your experience and comfort level.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.