Olympic white tele, thinking about changing the pickguard, what ya got?

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
It's personal; even the best advice is provisional. I have an Oly white strat (different deal I know) and tried a bunch of options. But based on my trad *Tele* experience, I'd look at:
1. Black -- but if black, real bakelite is by far the nicest; I nitro'd mine for a little gloss
2. White -- you have the 8-hole guard but you can still dial in kinda that 50s v. 60s vibe with a three-ply v. one-ply guard. IIRC you can use a 5-hole PG on an 8-hole body -- but check -- my recall is dubious
3. Mint green on Oly can be nice, but yes, most aftermarket mints are way too green. IME Fender does it best. And of course mint gotta be 3-ply to be 'right.'
4. Subtle tortoise is nice but you're looking to change, right?
Oh, also. The other 3,102 options might work here too. Did I say it's up to you? :)

VWAmTele

Friend of Leo's
Aged white/cream pickguard.

1642527208760.jpeg

Twofingerlou

Tele-Holic
I like yours as-is with the rosewood fretboard. But I get wanting a change. I've been thinking about changing up my oly white Esquire but not sure what I would do. I was thinking matt black or red tort? I do kinda' like the white on white though.

Curious to see what you decide on.

View attachment 941571

Black might look pretty good on that one imo

afterdarkmusic

TDPRI Member
Tortoise shell pickguards and Olympic White simply belong together.

The alternative that I do like is Mint Green. The subtle contrast of olympic and mint is really nice too.

That said, I really do prefer the tort.

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I have done the Tort and Black pick guard with Olympic White, and they are just not my thing anymore 🤷‍♂️
087.JPG

BassmanM

Tele-Meister
Got my American Pro 2 a couple weeks ago and thinking about swapping the pickguard. While I like it now I think it could be better.

I am mainly a bass player and for us, tort always rules.... If you insist, I vote parchment or mint.

I like yours as-is with the rosewood fretboard. But I get wanting a change. I've been thinking about changing up my oly white Esquire but not sure what I would do. I was thinking matt black or red tort? I do kinda' like the white on white though.

Curious to see what you decide on.

View attachment 941571

Please leave this one as it is, it is perfect!