Oldie with a newbie type question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by murdude, Dec 30, 2017.

1. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Truss rods are not the scary things people seem to think. Just turn the thing as needed, don't force it when it no longer wants to go....and all will be fine. And YES, your problem is typical winter weather, just probably needs a 1/4" turn, clockwise. Good luck.

Jules78 and murdude like this.
  2. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

In addition to tighten clockwise it is best to hold the body down with your elbow behind the bridge and
    press lightly on the headstock then turn the screw. Just a small amount 1/8 turn can often get it. If over
    adjusted, then back off around 2xs the amount then tighten back to the desired.

3. murdude

murdude Tele-Meister

Just want you all to know how much I've appreciated your advice. I have tweaked the neck a little and is better. I may do a little more. Just waiting to see how the weather is going to effect what I have done. Anyway, thanks to all.:)

4. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

You may not have to adjust the truss rod at all.. Hang or place your guitar in a closed, humid environment such as a bathroom after running the hot shower. Run hot shower periodically to keep it humid. After awhile the neck should return to where it was set originally by your tech. Loosening strings a little would speed things up.. I would try this first. Then keep guitar in humid-ized guitar case... The truss rod deal is a seasonal trick, however, that does work...

Geo likes this.
  5. murdude

murdude Tele-Meister

I increased the humidity in the room where my guitars are. Did another very small truss rod tweak. And, now it is or pretty much back to where it was before...and I love it.
    Doing so has gave me much more confidence in doing small adjustments when needed...thanks to you people.:)
    Now...I have some frets that have sharp ends. In your opinions, is this something that I could resolve myself or should I have an expert file them? I see there are lots of tutorials on youtube.

6. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Congratulations :)

You can probably take care of the fret ends yourself. I'd use something on more coarse than 400 grit and go slowly so you know when you're getting them close to flush with the board. It helps to go over them afterward with a couple of stages of super fine to polish up the fret ends and any finish that you touch.

7. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Murdude, congratulations on your first foray into Telecaster setup. Remember that these guitars are pretty robust. You'd have to go out of your way to hurt it by adjusting the truss rod.

If you haven't seen this already, here is a link to Fender's Telecaster setup guide. It's a good place to start learning the basics of Telecaster setup. Of course, there are countless Youtube videos, but I always like to start with the manufacturers recommendations. I'm a setup neophyte, but have used Fender's guides successfully on both Teles and Strats.

8. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

Every guitar player should know how to do basic guitar setups and tweaks. There is plenty of information here and on the webs. And as mentioned, Dan Erlewine.

9. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Before you file the fret ends, you might want to try a bit more humidity. I have had guitars where the humidity actually cured the fret end spruot. A warm moist bathroom is the way to go....it will give your guitar a super strong humidity bath. Having said that, if you need to file....you can do it, but I would say at least for me, I always mark up the board a bit when I've had to do it....so proceed with caution.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.