1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

older bandit 112 sheffield

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by speedy mcfeely, Oct 3, 2009.

1. speedy mcfeely

speedy mcfeely Tele-Holic

I just picked up a bandit 112 sheffield, and I was wondering if anyone has any good info on it. I have read a few of the post here and it seems some of you use them. any info would be great.

2. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

I hated the Sheffield speaker, sorry, ymmv.

Dropped another type in and I loved the amp, but I traded it because it was too loud for general use. It didn't do quiet and the Transtube knob thingy just sucked the life out of it.

3. Rusrant

Rusrant Tele-Meister

I have one, a black and silver 112. It's a great amp with pedals. OD channels is pretty good, and fairly flexible. I actually added a Eminence C-rex in mine. Has a Blackface fender vibe about it. What did you want to know about it?

4. Rusrant

Rusrant Tele-Meister

Funny you say that, didn't care for the sheffield much here either. As far as the transtube knob, I usually leave it close to minimum and crank up the amp. Seem's to sound a little warmer and less peaky that way.

5. speedy mcfeely

mine is pre-transtube. I have been using the power amp in with my PODxt live. I like it for that. the pots are scratchy. I am thinking of swapping the speaker also. are there any upgrades as far as pots caps, tranys? I am not familiar with the issues that these amps may have.

6. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

You mean one of these models right?
    [​IMG]

7. speedy mcfeely

exactly the one. that one looks like it's in great condition.

8. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

That one is called the "Teal Stripe" or "Blue Stripe" Bandit. It was the last one before the Transtube series, and it widely considered one of the best Bandits for clean tones. Circa 1989-1993, aka Peavey's "Golden Years"...

It came with a choice of either a Scorpion or a Sheffield speaker. The Sheffield is geared more towards distortion and overdrive (think Celestion G75T), the Scorps' sound better clean (think PEAVEY! lol) When I was younger, I preferred the Sheffs', but these days I use more clean tones, so I prefer the Scorps'.

Unfortunately, neither the Sheff or the Scorp are very efficient, something like 92-96 db! Also, extension speaker jacks didn't appear on Bandits until the Transtube series, so whatever speaker you use will determine the overall volume of the amp. That amp is pushing 80 watts @ 8 ohms, so you'll want a speaker with decent power handling.

A 50 watt C-Rex might sound good at moderate volumes, but it wouldn't be the right choice for most blues jams here in Dallas...

Say what?! :oops:

If I owned one of those, I would probably swap out the speaker for something more efficient with a nice clean tone, but not too spikey. It's a solid state amp, so you'll want to tame any potential icepicks... I.e., not an Eminence Tonker or a Celestion Lead 80!

I'd probably look at an Eminence Swamp Thing or a Texas Heat... I have a cab with the Heats in it and I like 'em, but I've heard good things about the Swamp Thing for Jazzy cleans too.

For the crackly pots, just spray 'em with contact cleaner. If you really want to get it in there, it's not hard to remove the chassis from the cabinet. Also, sometimes wave-soldered PCBs will develop cold solder joints over time, but if it's working, don't worry about it.

The other issue with those is even if you're not using the effects loop, the signal still goes through the effects loop jacks. Sometimes the jacks get oxidized and won't carry the signal cleanly. Again, contact cleaner is your friend, and you can use fine grade sand paper wrapped around a 1/4 plug to restore a nice shiny surface to the jack contacts.

Hope this helps!

9. Rusrant

Rusrant Tele-Meister

I have tried several speakers in min compared to a Sheffield. No worry's with the C-rex, even when cranked. I've had them in a few amps well above 50watts without an issue. They always sound great. The best sounding I have tried are the Eminence Red, White and Blues and the C-Rex. The RWB is darker with a chunkier low end. The C-rex is smoother and brighter.

10. 91xlntS-3

91xlntS-3 Tele-Afflicted

Those older "blue stripe" Peaveys are my favorite, especially with the Sorpion speaker! If you want a real MONSTER, find one of the older Special 112 combos, with 160 watts and a 4 ohm Scorpion! You can demolish a house with one of those things!!

I even like the Blue Marvel speakers better than the sheffields, guess it's just me...

11. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Those Peaveys are built very tough,and do take pedals well.Great bang for the buck!

12. openbar

openbar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Exactly the amp I've been using these last few months. Obviously GREAT clean sound, and after 10 minutes of futzing with the dirty channel, a great overdrive sound too. The only problem with the Scorpion is the weight! Gonna try a Jensen Neo100, or maybe the Little Texas? Any ideas?

I traded a $150 tele copy for it. Selling off my tube amps.

13. speedy mcfeely

The same place that I bought this one also has one a little older for $125. I am thinking that I should get that one too. Is $125 a good price? I am really impressed with the bandit... who knew?

14. JayFreddy

How much older? If it's a blue stripe, grab it. The Bandit 65 and Bandit 75 are also good, but I don't care for the original Solo Series Bandit (without 65 or 75 after it), and the very first "Gunsmoke" Bandit, with the logo font borrowed from the 60's TV show Gunsmoke, those are actually pretty terrible... YMMV. The 65's all the way up to the newest ones are good, IMHO.

15. speedy mcfeely

It's a Bandit 65. I think I'll go get it.

16. 91xlntS-3

91xlntS-3 Tele-Afflicted

The last Special 112 I bought (160 watt model) I got for $199 in excellent condition. These amps can go for cheap, if you watch e-bay and craigslist. Most music stores have pretty decent prices also. Enjoy those Peavey's!!

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sounds about right.

I gave mine to my brother in law.

18. speedy mcfeely

on the blue stripe bandit: what is the difference between the effects loop and the pre amp out and power amp in jacks in the back. Isn't an effects loop just a space between the pre and power amp?

19. JayFreddy

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.