Old Yellow Astrons or Old Fender Blue Molded Coupling Caps in a new Micro Deluxe Build?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by James Knox, Aug 1, 2020 at 2:33 PM.

1. James Knox

James Knox Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

So back in the 80’s I worked in this music store. One of the things guys were doing back then was bringing in their old Fender Amps to be “upgraded” to Orange Caps.

I was able to salvage from the garbage some old Astron and old Blue Moulded Caps and had them in a baggie for all these years.

Now I’m learning to build amp and am in the process of being able to evaluate different kinds of caps, speakers, tubes, etc., and the effect it has on the tone/sound of the finished build.

I have been waiting on a “lost order” to arrive with different kinds/values of caps to populate the board of a @robrob Micro Deluxe. This morning I dug that bag of old caps and pulled out “yellows and blues”.

What do you think about using either of these pairs for the coupling caps? They check good on my MM. Which pair would you choose for this build? Should I wait for the Mallory 150’s or the Sozo Blues that are coming (hopefully) early next week? Are old/old stock caps a bad idea?

Peace,
    James

01840510-810B-4778-AA37-1CA655FAB960.jpeg

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Hook em up, see what happens. That's really the only answer. If they leak DC, you'll know they aren't good, but those are known for being pretty darn reliable, especially the blue ones.

James Knox likes this.
  3. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

I'd wait on the new caps. Those astrons are probably fine, but a new build micro amp isnt the right home for them. I'd either sell them on ebay or save them for either when you hopefully someday find a vintage amp that needs to be restored or decide to build a meticulous reproduction of one. Cool old caps in a clearly modern build seem wasted to me.

4. James Knox

...ahhh, good point about cool old caps in a modern build.

5. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Either would be cool in this project, but I agree that these parts would have more value in the restoration of an old amp.

James Knox likes this.
  6. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Holic

Ideally you would check the capacitance with your multimeter and the ESR with an ESR meter before putting them in a build or repair.

7. James Knox

Thank you - just looked into an ESR meter. Didn’t know about that.

tessting1two likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.