1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Old Tweed

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Josh Davis, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Josh Davis

Josh Davis Tele-Meister

Anybody know anybody who buys old tweed? I bought an old luggage case from the 50's at an antique store that is more than enough to recover an old amp. Tweed is in great condition. Even has the same latches and handles that were on the guitar cases. Inside of it even smells like a guitar case.

Attached Files:

2. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Is there a brand name on it anywhere? Your antique store might not have known if it's a highly-sought example.

3. Josh Davis

Josh Davis Tele-Meister

No brand. I looked. I assume it's the same stuff. I've owned many old tweed amps.

4. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Only reason I bring that up so you don't discover it was worth $500 or some such after cutting it up. ;)

5. Josh Davis

Josh Davis Tele-Meister

I kinda figured it was worth that anyway. To someone who wanted to do a recover with old tweed.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

$500 for old tweed? I doubt it, but then there are fanatics, right? I wonder what shape the tweed would be in after it was removed from the case? Note: see Scott's post. Know the market before destroying, imho. IF the suitcase is not worht much, then see if you can get the tweed off in good shape. If you do that, let me know how you did it, okay? Although, my two matching cases are just too cool as is...Bluesman leaving home type of thang, you know?
    $500 for the suitcase as is??? IF so, I need to research the two matching tweed cases I have.

7. tubescent

tubescent Tele-Meister

I think we need a suitcase relic forum :)

8. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

SCORE!!!! That's a Louis Vuitton "tweed era" suitcase. It's worth about three and a half grand.

Ooops! I thought I was in the giant "make up a lie about the post above you" thread. :twisted:

9. Wally

muchxs, I think you have misidentified it. THe high dollar Vuitton case has the brown stripes running parallel to the sides of the case. This one isn't worth near as much.

10. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

True story: I filled an entire spare bedroom with tweed covered items. I must have over a hundred tweed suitcases of every stripe (pardon the pun!), tweed phonographs, tweed radios, tweed covered typewriter cases and unknown multiples of the early '60s Revere tape deck in its tweed case. Fortunately the mic that comes with the Revere is worth a few coins. Yes, boys and girls I'm obsessive-compulsive. That means when I find something I like I buy every damn one of 'em! :twisted:

The drawback is I tried to find a motorcycle transmission today that I know I have underneath all that tweed covered crap. I found a set of engine cases I forgot I had but apparently did not dig deep enough to locate the transmission.

While I'm baring my twisted psyche (more lurid than naked anything else, I assure you! :twisted:) I submit I have sworn off tweed. No more tweed for me! Those of you who know me know I cover my tweed style amps with tolex. Not exactly a teetotaler I simply drink a lot more coffee. Which may explain other erratic behavior...

Tweed is worth bucks when it's stuck to an original Fender amp. It's still worth a few bucks when it's stuck to a Kendrick, a Clark or a Victoria. A tweed suitcase is worth around $20 to a harp player as long as he can stick his stuff in there without gettin' cooties. Most musicians have $300 in their amp budget and zero dollars in their suitcase budget.

11. Wally

muchxs, I have a set of four chiars sitting in the shop covered in the now unobtainable and more accurate brown striped tweed...as opposed to the slightly olive-colored stripe that has to be treaeted to look correct. I get offers for them all of the time. I do not have a room piled with tweed objects, though. You win the 'Tweed Obssession Contest'?.

12. SamBooka

SamBooka Tele-Afflicted

Much even has posters of Shannon Tweed wearing nothing (but tweed).

13. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

A bump for a few giggles :eek::lol::lol::lol:

DW

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.