1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Old tube sockets?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by alias23k, Jul 28, 2009.

1. alias23k

alias23k Tele-Meister

Found an old chassis that has the same tube configuration as a deluxe layout. though i'm not going to do a 5e3, it'll be something similar, a bogen conversion without the reverb i found on el34's site. anywho's, i was desoldering the wires at the tube sockets (freakin boogers!) and looked to have overheated some of the lugs and now they seem loose. doesn't seem like an issue to me but i just wanna make sure. would i be better off just getting new ones?

Thanks

2. gayler

gayler Tele-Meister

If the teminals are just loose in the plastic that should be fine, but if the pins on the tube fit loose in the terminal that would be a problem. You could always try retentioning them with an o-ring pick.

3. alias23k

alias23k Tele-Meister

i figured as much since they just a single piece. Good suggestions on the o-ring, i'll give it a try.

4. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Tube socket terminals are free to float in the socket without the tube installed. Bend the litte retaining tang over, you can pull them right out.

Don't mess with them unless they turn out to be a problem. They're probably o.k..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.