1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Old Trees

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stanford Guitar, Feb 24, 2021.

1. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

There is an olive tree in Jerusalem where Judas is said to have betrayed Jesus. That would put it at more than 2000 years old. A few miles away is what is claimed to be the oldest living tree on the planet in the planet’s oldest continuously inhabited city, Jericho , on the West Bank. Jerusalem is truly the crossroads of civilization.

_MementoMori_ likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

When I was a kid maybe nine years old, could have been ten. One spring a castor-bean sprang up outside the little cabin my momma and I made our home in at Thorsen's camp. I don't know why, but I began to tend it, the plant prospered and eventually grew to the height of a grown man! It stood proud and tall, I would sit in its shade and just enjoy it. I loved that thing for reasons I did not understand. One day Mr. Thorsen walked around to the area where I was tending the plant, and had just watered it in the damned up area I had built for it. Without ceremony, he took his shovel and severed the plant right at its base! I swear I could hear it scream! In that instant, I hated that man, and never looked at him in the same way again. He said, those things are poison, can't have it growing here.

3. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

That's really funny, cause I thought that scenery looked unusually western. But it makes sense. Some european movies that were set in the Wild West were shot in Croatia. But those locations are not compareable in size with those majestic Great Plains landscapes. Croatia is smaller than West Virginia but has very diverse geography. dinara.jpg 451_66b0103f8d3b197006d9100a12b69204.jpeg n_plitvicka_jezera_3_2015915103550.jpg brela_plaza.jpg slavonija.jpg 27125552c0.jpg

4. Toto'sDad

Beautiful pics and country!

ponce likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

An engineer from Iowa I worked with used to have this hanging by his desk::lol:
    [​IMG]

Wally, Stanford Guitar and tery like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

This is a pic of Carrizozo plains national monument in spring. Only about 60 miles from our house.

[​IMG]

Another.

[​IMG]

7. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

A Christmas tree growing in the forest .

upload_2021-2-26_13-48-47.jpeg

Stanford Guitar and Toto'sDad like this.
  8. Toto'sDad

It's funny how things are lost to time. I remembered that as a young man working for a farm implement dealer out in Wasco California being sent over to Carrizozo Plains with our flat bed truck to get sacks of soda ash to use as floor sweep. It wasn't especially good for the purpose, but it was cheap! The thing I liked about it was they'd usually send me in the spring when it was pretty over there, and tell me to take my time. So, I'd pack a lunch, and park after getting my load, and eat my lunch and just take in the scenery. I can't even find mention of the place on the web, but I remember it well. They do mention people borrowing money to open mines, but not much else.

9. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

On my MTB today came across this old boy.

A1BF9348-D4DE-4187-B2D5-E6665741BA9C_1_105_c.jpeg

1955 and Wally like this.
  10. Stanford Guitar

On my ride today.

40881388-29BF-408A-9BFC-2E06CC0D3F85_1_105_c.jpeg

D8C43B53-71E5-4491-B7FD-18CCEB19C0B2_1_105_c.jpeg

Wally likes this.
  11. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

My favorite trees The Banyan tree In Lahaina Maui never get tired of walking under it. It's young in tree years 150 years old hope to see it in September 1e238613e51530f24cdd29b8e390dd94.jpg

scook, Wally and Stanford Guitar like this.
  12. Stanford Guitar

I know those trees in Lahaina! Here's one in Kauai.

96C5E9E4-3B2A-4313-9A42-0CABA6FA56BD_1_105_c.jpeg

13. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I don’t like cutting them down, only when they need it. If they are dying or dead they are a great danger if it is windy or rainy. Sometimes they halfway come down, those are tricky. Trees are incredible, but they will also kill you dead if you’re not careful.

Harry Styron likes this.
  14. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

Put a visit on your bucket list going to see the Sequoias or the Redwoods. Awe inspiring and humbling. Some of them are 2000 years old. They don't actually grow any faster than other trees - they just grow forever.

Meanwhile, they found some 2000 year old date palm seeds at the ancient settlement in Masada, Israel. They planted one. It's growing: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/051122-old-plant-seed-food

15. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Sometimes it is wise to cut down trees.

On some rural land I own, I thought about selling a large walnut tree. At the time, I might have got $800-$900 for it. A couple of years later I found that a storm had taken it down. The tree had rotted on the ground.

A big oak on the north side of my house was blown onto my house by a freak gust from the north on a summer day when it had enough leaves to catch the wind. It punched a couple of holes in the roof and broke several rafters. The cloudburst that accompanied the gust soaked the mineral wool insulation above my living room ceiling, which didn’t didn’t dry out for a couple of years. I had known that the tree was nearing the end of its life. I should have cut it down before it fell. It was hollow.

After the big oak was gone, sprouts emerged from the stump. I cut all but one of the sprouts, and the one I left is now 20 feet tall. To my surprise, it is a black cherry tree, which only appeared to be growing from the oak stump.

I’m glad to have it because my only two cherry trees were blown over in a tornado on February 29, 2008. The two cherry trees that I lost should have been cut down when they passed maturity.

1955 likes this.
  16. Stanford Guitar

The commute home.

B61839D1-379D-4CD9-9DFD-0A7E8B69868D_1_105_c.jpeg

17. scook

scook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

upload_2021-3-8_21-18-14.jpeg

Chinese music under Banyan trees.

Stanford Guitar likes this.
  18. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

There are some huge live oaks (Quercus virginiana, an evergreen species) here in the South Carolina Lowcountry.

On James Island just south of Charleston we have the "Angel Oak", named for the family who originally owned the estate where it stands...

[​IMG]

Here in the little town of Bluffton we had the "Secession Oak". South Carolina was the first State to secede form the Union, which of course started the American Civil War. The first meeting to discuss secession was held under this tree in 1844. I say "had" because unfortunately this old tree collapsed after a storm early last month. I took this shot of it in 2019...

[​IMG]

MarkieMark likes this.
  19. Stanford Guitar

Cruising home on the MTB.

IMG_6223.jpeg

20. Stanford Guitar

A rainy MTB ride today.

9FE04E46-2CC4-43A1-9E59-B6200DBE90D9_1_105_c.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.