1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Old Trees

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stanford Guitar, Feb 24, 2021.

1. stonetone7

stonetone7 Tele-Holic

I remember a couple decades ago, there was a local church in my small central Pennsylvania town that wanted to expand its administrative building. But to do so, it would have to cut down a black walnut that stood at the town’s late 18th century founding.

The local paper got hold of the story - or more accurately, it was fed to them - and it polarized the town. It should be a crime to kill sentinel trees, how dare you tree huggers contest God’s will etc etc. In the end, the tree came down and life went on.

As I recall there was quite a bidding war over the wood. I heard of at least one local guitar builder who got hold of some, but I didn’t know the guy and never heard anything further about it.

For what it’s worth, there is a ton of witness trees still standing just down the road in Gettysburg, and almost all are protected by the National Park Service.

JJLC likes this.
  2. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

One man's tree is another man's wood. :D

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    JJLC likes this.
  3. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

My sister resides in the 'plantation alley' region of southern Louisiana.
    There are many magnificent old oaks in the area that must be pushing 300 years plus.
    At the eastern border of my sister's back yard sits one example; it is about 16 feet across where the trunk meets the ground, there are massive limbs that reach out nearly 100 feet in length that nearly touch the ground, the tree is full of Spanish moss, and strange fern type plants on the top side of the limbs that come to life when it rains. When it drys up after a good rain the ferns shrivel up, and look like tiny dried leaves in the fall. Next time it rains the ferns come back to life. This massive oak pretty much has it's own ecosystem. A local botanist estimates the tree is slightly less than 3 centuries old. To say it is an amazing tree is an understatement. These centuries old oaks are a true testament to the amazing random glory of nature, something that humans could never replicate, in a billion years.

Stanford Guitar likes this.
  4. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

One man's tree is another man's guitar :eek:

5. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I have a "wooded" yard. I had to cut a three older trees this year for damage...hated it. But, I plant/transplant trees every year---this year I put in 38 new trees.

6. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

After Maria there were dozens of mahogany trees that were severely damaged. Many of those were cut down even though in retrospect many could have been saved.

The sad part is most of the wood was shipped off island instead of it staying here and used by local artists to make things

There is still mystery about how the felled trees went to stateside addresses

Our 50+ Year old Flamboyant that blew over in Maria is going to have to be severely cut back because it’s collapsing onto itself. Hopefully the stump can be righted and will re-sprout.

Stanford Guitar, stormsedge and drewg like this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Last house I was caretaker of an old Burr Oak with a seven foot diameter trunk. Took three or more people to 'hug it'. Age estimated around 450+ years. State had a 'biggest tree' competition one year so I entered it. Didn't make the state list for oaks though.

Which makes me question ... do you really need mahogany (or rosewood or ebony) on that guitar? Even if you can 'hear a difference', can you play just a little bit better? Encourage guitar factories to go local and fast growing species. Guitar industry is only approaching three million new guitars every year.
    [​IMG]

8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, I've got some cedars about that size. They are just a special thing to me. 50 years ago there were quite a few around more than twice that size. There's one local Cedar stump cut out so you can drive a car through it! When the freeway was built they moved it to the adjacent rest stop.

9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

3266 year old Sequoia In California. If you have never visited the Redwood or Sequoia forest, you must! It feels holy.
    [​IMG]

P Thought, tery, drewg and 4 others like this.
  10. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

I was at the epicenter of the storm in my area that hit Feb12. Got power back 1.5 days ago.
    A house 1/2 mile away was crushed by a Fir (?) -- don't know if anyone was killed in that, but I can't imagine any one not being hurt.

We have a few 80-100 y/o oaks (Garry, 'Oregon White Oak') around the house. Most of the crowns are not within falling distance (we did have an entire tree fall over about 5 years ago -- Yowza!) but, there are two that have limbs that extend very close. The one big limb that overhung part of the house I had trimmed back last summer (whew!). Otherwise, it would have been a direct hit had it come down too. The limb on that one easily weighed 600-700lbs total (I cut it up for firewood and hauled away the debris so I had a pretty good idea).

From this storm, I still have a good size pile of mid-diameter branches and a 6-8ft tall pile of brush. All in all, not that bad of an outcome, but not something I wish to repeat anytime soon. One thing about oak limbs when they get loaded down, is they snap at the trunk and then come STRAIGHT down -- as in <SNAP>... <BOOM!>. Stayed up two nights listening to that. Not fun.

Have to say, I like the shade the oaks provide, but in terms of longevity and maintenance I think I stick with Doug Firs if given a choice.

I would like to extend my heartfelt resentment to the local power company for ensuring we were hooked up 197th to last (out of 3000+ outages) in our zip code.. despite several calls my pleading for the safety and well being of my 83 y/o mom with multiple significant health conditions.

drewg and Stanford Guitar like this.
  11. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Find a mature Copper Beech and have a gander . Massive is the word that comes to mind .

12. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

And turtles,don't forget those long lived boyos.

13. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

That situation the orangutan is in truly is sad. We can see that that tree he was in is the last tree around...and their habitat is a rainforest.
    The Garden is disappearing...

Stanford Guitar and PhredE like this.
  14. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

When I lived in Lafayette, LA, I discovered the "Cathedral Oak" downtown. ~450 yrs old, last circumference measurement (2015) was 29'6". IIRC, the main branch is estimated at 72 tons!

When Miz Diane and I visit, we always drop by to see them (there are two on the grounds, the pix are of just the one).

Cathedral_Oak_3_7_17_caafd99c-63fc-47d1-ad00-6fafaaaf924a.jpg Cathedra_Oak_morning_pano_study_11_6e49f25e-b5c0-4f03-b164-3cc91e57e9ff.jpg

tery, drewg, JJLC and 2 others like this.
  15. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

My wife and I are fond of old turtles and tortoises. We give Owen and Mzee books to all the children we know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_and_Mzee

Stanford Guitar and Skub like this.
  16. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Friend of Leo's

upload_2021-2-25_13-27-43.png

Pinus longaeva

tery and Stanford Guitar like this.
  17. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

C42C4C56-5112-4438-925A-1018443A38E0.jpeg 6E4148E6-C9E1-4078-857D-A45F22606077.jpeg 18317DF4-D3AB-4DB6-8628-B6CD4B179C31.jpeg A195D71E-8B9F-4A59-BC84-61024F54C815.jpeg
    not the best pix but you can get an idea of it’s size and predicament

tery and Stanford Guitar like this.
  18. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

From a trip to the Galapagos a few years ago.

_DSC4239.jpg

stonetone7, drewg and Dave Hicks like this.
  19. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

I hope to live long enough to see the beginings of the return of the Chestnut to the eastern woods

drewg and scook like this.
  20. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

That is an awesome tree!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.