Old Timer's: What's the first 45 RPM record you ever purchased?

bactrian666

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
Went into the candy store to get "Down in the Boondocks" but it was sold out. I had to have something so I purchases "Mrs. Brown you've got a lovely Daughter"

goonie

Friend of Leo's
Another one for the fabs.

Let It Be - The Beatles

Next one was Elton John's Your Song.

Yes, I'm a frustrated piano player.

SuprHtr

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
It was Crimson & Clover by Tommy James & The Shondells.
I had that one later, but I think the first I purchased was a used copy of Kicks by Paul Revere and the Raiders, from a neighbor across the street. I wasn't much into 45's, preferring albums, but I also had Green River/Locomotion by Credence.

SuprHtr

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I also had an early Deep Purple single, a cover of Neil Diamond's Kentucky Woman, with Hush on the flip side. Has anyone noticed that 45 RPM "singles" are pretty similar to single-song downloads? They appeal to the same demographic, I think. I've even downloaded singles when I wanted just that song without an album, titles like Green Onions, The Last Time (Stones), I'm On Fire (Dwight Twilley), Don't Try To Lay No Boogie Woogie On The King Of Rock Rock & Roll (Long John Baldry).

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
It was a yellow 45~ Tennessee Ernie Ford singing 16 tons. Think I wore that record out😎
Didn't even know who Merle Travis was at the time. Glad that's been rectified, still play 16 tons and other Merle tunes.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I've got the stupidest answer, ever.

Someone gave me a record player, and mentioned that the cartridge and needle were messed up. I took it apart and cleaned everything, and reassembled it but as young as I was, I didn't trust my work and wanted to be dead sure the player wouldn't wreck a nice record.

Just happened that the next morning my Mom took us to a Five and Dime and I bought a discounted record (by the "Kenjolairs") for a nickel and tested the player with that. The player worked great - the song was bleah. No wonder it wasn't a hit.

Well, you asked me and I'm telling you straight! :^)

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Snoopy and the Red Baron by the Royal Guardsmen.
I bought this record so my bandmates and I could learn it to play at birthday parties. They told me to forget about it; they were too good to play kid's parties. I think that was a mistake to be that way, honestly. The song isn't Hendrix but there's many that are pretty much the same.