1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

old Strat on ebay (Germany) what do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by 58Bandmaster, May 31, 2006.

1. 58Bandmaster

58Bandmaster TDPRI Member

2. Telecaster65

Telecaster65 Tele-Holic

who writes such a thing:

knows VERY WELL that 'bad' can became 'marvellous' and 'old read as 'relic' to some ears...

Tactical errors... 'the second day of May' where everybody knows that the number '2' before the month indicates the neck shape... very smart guy, and nice looking guitar.

I would spend 4-500 usd, not more. I ain't saing it's a fake FOR SURE, I'm just saying I would spend 500 bucks, and no more for this guitar.

JMHO...

3. Volvoguy

Volvoguy Tele-Meister

I don't get why you say this is a tactical error? I read the auction, and it could very well be fake, but it could also very well be real. How could someone who doesn't know guitars fall into the category of "everyone knows that the number 2 before the month indicates the neck shape." Honestly, up until not long ago I thought that woulda been March 2 '62.

I'm not saying this is a real auction, I'm not saying it's fake either. I just hate how most people everywhere jump to conclusions so fast! There's NO reason a guy in germany couldn't have his uncles old strat.

4. Telecaster65

Telecaster65 Tele-Holic

I think that this auction stinks.

The guitar looks maybe nice but not 100% genuine to me. I've never seen such a cheesy color on a supposedly mint green pickguard, and the description stinks even more.

I guess that this shouldn't offend anyone, someone have asked my opinion, and that's it, 2 cents. Or even less.
    ;)

P.S.

My mistake! The "2"
    before the month indicates the guitar model, NOT the neck shape or the day of the month! Sorry!!!

This is the real stuff, the stamp looks different...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v380/Telecaster65/196320Strat20refin20064.jpg

5. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    That neck stamp is definately a photoshop job.

It could be a new relic. But it's not a 44 year old guitar.

Paul Green

6. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

I think it's a fake.

Relics all tend to look the same and most don't look like actual guitars with honest wear to me.

There's something too careful and hobbyist-looking about them, always.

For me, one giveaway is the neck pocket. There should be marks on the neck & pocket acquired from 30 + years of friction and pressure, not just little scuffs and dings.

And yes, that pickguard is phoney baloney.

Lots of people who don't know a thing about guitars out there who have these priceless old instruments, eh?

7. Telecaster65

Telecaster65 Tele-Holic

There are also nice nail holes in position that can be correct, but the ensemble don't convince me at all. The neck pocket for those years shouldn't have the half on the bass side painted due to the stick bolted in the finishing process and yet the serial number on the neck plate is too low for a '62 guitar.

8. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

One other thing about that pickguard (to say nothing of the back plate/springs cover): 44 years old - that yellowed - but not one screw has cracked the plastic.

Basically, if the headstock is that old (its made to look like it has been 'out of the case' enough to partially wear the thing off) and the pickguard that 'aged', I'd expect a few cracks. The crack-free guards I've seen (in books) have all been on thoroughly mint-conditioned guitars...which this (apparently) isn't.

It seems this guitar has got it pretty good: Plenty of 'wear and tear' but perfectly preserved where it maybe shouldn't be.

Fake.

9. chickenpicker

chickenpicker Friend of Leo's

And while the back has some "rub" wear, there doesn't appear to be any belt-buckle wear.

Looks like they missed that one.

10. SinnerBoy61

SinnerBoy61 Tele-Holic

ok...he doesn't show the saddles, which SHOULD be the pat. pend. saddles we all know to look for (I hope). The guard looks fake, the pots looks like the ones used during that era, even though he makes no mention of the date codes on them. The tuners are not vintage (no markings on the back), and for something with so much wear, the guard looks a little too GREEN for the pickup covers as well as the back of the neck having all of it's finish. The decal also looks like a cheap relic attempt.

EDIT: After e-mails, his friend helped him "apart the guitar" and he did mention the code on the pots: 3046141 My question is...Unless he doesn't know how to use a screwdriver, why does his friend have to help him apart the guitar... :?

11. Volvoguy

Volvoguy Tele-Meister

Telecaster65. I wasn't jumping on you getting all emotional or anything. I was just wondering how you could judge something was fake by him saying the 2 might mean the 2nd day. Makes sense the more I look at it that it could be a fake. Sorry for sounding harsh or jumpin' on ya ;)

12. Telecaster65

Telecaster65 Tele-Holic

No worries Volvoguy! It seemed you know me well! My wife told the the same thing nearly everyday!

;)

13. Volvoguy

Volvoguy Tele-Meister

Haha, nice. Sometimes I forget that the one other main forum i visit, I'm one of those old jaded way too many post guys, but alas, I'm only a mere <100 youngin' here, and don't have the harassing power I'm used to :lol:

14. Old Wood

Old Wood TDPRI Member

I understand that Fender was known to mark guitars like in the pic below to designate the finish to be applied.

Problem with this one is that the SB3 mark (Sonic Blue) is on top of the finish.

Not likely.

[​IMG]

15. Professor SourTone

Professor SourTone Tele-Meister

That auction is very carefully worded. He should get a Pulitzer. The pickguard is way wrong, though.

16. Unkie Al

Unkie Al Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

17. clearfish

clearfish TDPRI Member

For a guy that pretends to know nothing about guitars, he sure knows how to take one apart.

18. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Livin' and learnin'

Interesting thread. I wish I could see some of the things that have been seen by others on this one.
    1) I don't know how to tell that that neck date is a photoshop effect. ???? Any insight???
    2) I do know that the '2' in the 2Mar62B indicates the small headstock shape. This "B" indicates the nut width. the slabboard is correct. Someone surely mangled the board in the area of the nut. I need a clue...what is it about the decal that desn't look good?
    3) The clamping holes look good...whether original or not I do not know. He should show the one at the lower end of the control cavity....but then he has '0' feedback and doesn't know guitars, right? While taking the picture of the control cavity, he should have shown us the shoulder. He obviously doesn't know enough about guitars to expose critical points of interest.
    4) The color and condition of the guard is suspect, I agree. However, we all know what these cameras can do to colors. The back of it looks correct, and the pots and switch except for the cap look good from this distance...to me...but what do I know, eh? The pics of the pickups don't show enough to tell anything.
    5) That serial number is good for '62.
    6) Those color markings under the pickguard arent' nice and neat...they sometimes seem to 'eat' through the color coat.

It does appear that the consensus among potential bidders is that this one has many questionable issues. His zero feedback, pictures and wording of the description doesn't help. I do think that if Telecaster65 bids $500 and wins, he might be pleasantly surprised...or have a decent player for $500.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.